December 15th, 2014 at 2:05:19 PM permalink
Quote: texasplumr

Wynn / SW

Thanks. Why would SW be your choice?
Nostron
Nostron
  • Threads: 6
December 17th, 2014 at 7:17:19 AM permalink
Heading back over MLK weekend - this time its gonna be Strip House, Cut and Giada.

Anybody had the tuscan ribeye at Giada's? After eating steak the first two nights I may not want it on night 3 but then again i may!!!
texasplumr
texasplumr
  • Threads: 13
December 17th, 2014 at 9:01:45 AM permalink
Quote: Wanderer

Thanks. Why would SW be your choice?

They're both great. Can't go wrong with either one. But I'm usually closer to the Wynn.

The Porterhouse for two at Craftsteak is my son's favorite. So if I'm at the RIO I take a taxi and meet him there.
He likes that property and I'm not a fan.

I guess it boils down to the property with me.

Thanks for asking because I hadn't thought about "why".
Stupid is a choice
Greasyjohn
Greasyjohn
  • Threads: 134
December 17th, 2014 at 9:52:55 AM permalink
Maybe I missed it, but I didn't see mention of Hugo's Cellar at Four Queens.
jml24
jml24
  • Threads: 2
December 17th, 2014 at 10:28:07 AM permalink
The steakhouse at the top of Binion's used to be a great "old school" experience and the view is good too. I haven't been there in a few years though.

I have had an excellent meal at DelFrisco's Double Eagle but it didn't blow me away. The service was very good too but they were a bit full of themselves, always pointing out what a supreme meal we were enjoying, etc.

I have been to the Heritage Steak at the Mirage twice now and it was incredible. Super high priced but everything was top notch: cocktails, appetizers, steaks, and sides. The last time I had Brussels sprouts and onion rings that were both the best I have ever eaten. My only complaint is that the wine list prices range from ridiculous to stratospheric. Fortunately they have many good wines by the glass that are in the standard price range for the strip (still a rip-off but not crazy.)

The service is a bit weird because a waiter comes and introduces himself with a big spiel, but then you never see him again until bill time. The sub-waiters that actually serve you are really good though.

Based on my Heritage Steak experience I may try Craftsteak next trip since they are both Tom Colicchio restaurants.

I think all the high-end strip places jack the price at least 50% over similar restaurants in other locations. This way it seems like they are giving out more money when they comp the high-rollers, and the suckers like me pay through the nose. Win/win for them. They are pretty good at pushing right up to the line where I am still having a good time, as long as the food and overall experience actually lives up to it. Unfortunately there are plenty of places on the strip charging the price without delivering the goods.
Wanderer
Wanderer
  • Threads: 19
December 25th, 2014 at 7:36:34 PM permalink
Alright, so I was in Vegas for two nights this week. I went to Craftsteak at the MGM and had the wagyu ribeye. It was good, but it wasn't out of this world. Next trip, which will be in March, I'm trying SW.
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 79
December 25th, 2014 at 7:57:49 PM permalink
I went to Joe's Seafood Prime Steak and Stone Crab last night and had an incredible meal. The steaks are great and they are all Prime.

We started with Calimari, Shrimp de Jonge, and Oysters Rockafeller followed by Caesar's Salads and crab bisque. We each ordered steaks, king crab legs, and a few sides. Everything was perfect with great service. Next month I will give the scallops and Dover sole a try. If you order desert they have a fantastic key lime pie.

Sorry, didn't mean to sound like an advertisement for them, just had another great experience there.
Order from chaos
rsactuary
rsactuary
  • Threads: 22
December 25th, 2014 at 8:10:09 PM permalink
I used to *love* the Pullman Grille at MSS before they closed it. Great ambiance, low cost, terrific food.
zippyboy
zippyboy
  • Threads: 2
December 25th, 2014 at 8:56:16 PM permalink
Quote: jml24

I have been to the Heritage Steak at the Mirage twice now and it was incredible. Super high priced but everything was top notch: cocktails, appetizers, steaks, and sides. The last time I had Brussels sprouts and onion rings that were both the best I have ever eaten. My only complaint is that the wine list prices range from ridiculous to stratospheric. Fortunately they have many good wines by the glass that are in the standard price range for the strip (still a rip-off but not crazy.)

Can you give actual prices please? I'm curious what super high priced means, and stratospheric wine prices means.
"Poker sure is an easy game to beat if you have the roll to keep rebuying."
Wanderer
Wanderer
  • Threads: 19
December 25th, 2014 at 10:46:29 PM permalink
Quote: DRich

I went to Joe's Seafood Prime Steak and Stone Crab last night and had an incredible meal. The steaks are great and they are all Prime.

We started with Calimari, Shrimp de Jonge, and Oysters Rockafeller followed by Caesar's Salads and crab bisque. We each ordered steaks, king crab legs, and a few sides. Everything was perfect with great service. Next month I will give the scallops and Dover sole a try. If you order desert they have a fantastic key lime pie.

Sorry, didn't mean to sound like an advertisement for them, just had another great experience there.

Joe's at the Forum Shops? Yeah, I have been there. Great restaurant.

In addition to Joe's and Craftsteak, I have been to Prime (Bellagio) and Delmonico (Venetian). As mentioned, I plan on trying SW (Wynn) on my next trip.

• Jump to: