Kayday
Kayday
  • Threads: 3
March 2nd, 2010 at 1:07:34 PM permalink
I'm considering a day trip up to Zion National Park when I visit Las Vegas in April. I went to Red Rocks last time and really enjoyed it, so I thought I might explore a little farther out this time. I'm thinking I'd have enough time to drive there, take a hike to get the flavor of the park, and come back in time for a nice dinner and some blackjack.

Has anyone done this before? Is it worthwhile as a day trip, or is it too far away? Any good hikes to recommend?
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1493
March 2nd, 2010 at 5:23:01 PM permalink
In my opinion it is too far for a day trip. I'd allow 2 or 3 days. The quintessential hike there is Angel's Landing, but that is too long if you're doing a day trip from Vegas. Another unique hike is the Narrows -- not to the Narrows, but walking IN the Narrows. A great restaurant outside the park in Springdale is the Pizza Noodle.
"For with much wisdom comes much sorrow." -- Ecclesiastes 1:18 (NIV)
mew3782
mew3782
  • Threads: 8
March 2nd, 2010 at 6:49:07 PM permalink
Zion is one of the most stunning places I have ever visited. I was last there in early November 2008, and the contrast of the foliage in the valley against the red rocks was unlike anything I've ever seen. While it cannot be done 'properly' in one day from Vegas, I would definitely recommend going for the day (2.5 hours each way) over not going at all, especially if you are not a big hiker.
  • Jump to: