AlanMendelson
AlanMendelson
  • Threads: 111
October 15th, 2020 at 1:48:05 PM permalink
It is possible that soon rules for most social media forums and discussion groups will be forced to change with a new ruling that forums are no longer shielded from litigation over users' posts.

It is a very complicated issue. In short it's referred to as Section 230.

Basically Section 230 says a forum operator cant be sued for posts made by users.

Section 230 could be canceled, limited, or even removed.

Removal of 230 would open the door to lawsuits over libel, for example, in forum posts. Yes, the forum owner could be held liable.

Watch 230 carefully. If changed you might see forums closing rather than the owners risking litigation or facing moderation requirements.

You may want to read this: https://www.cnbc.com/2020/10/15/fcc-chairman-says-he-will-to-clarify-tech-legal-shield-section-230.html
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
  • Threads: 226
October 15th, 2020 at 2:06:15 PM permalink
That would kill forums, which is probably the intent. My personal belief is that if the people who opened the internet to commercial use saw the exchange of ideas and information as we have it now we would still be using Prodigy(R) accounts.
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
AlanMendelson
AlanMendelson
  • Threads: 111
Thanks for this post from:
SanchoPanza
October 15th, 2020 at 2:10:40 PM permalink
There is no social redeeming value in libel. Thankfully this forum has pretty good limits on what can be posted but changes to 230 could end "free speech" forums which are nothing more that hate sites and troll sites.
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 192
Thanks for this post from:
AlanMendelson
October 15th, 2020 at 2:51:32 PM permalink
Good. Site owners should take some responsibility for what goes on their sites.
darkoz
darkoz
  • Threads: 261
October 15th, 2020 at 3:28:34 PM permalink
I can think of one site whose visitors come here often that would be top.of the chopping block
For Whom the bus tolls; The bus tolls for thee
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
  • Threads: 265
October 15th, 2020 at 4:06:57 PM permalink
I would tend yo agree ttat it is a 'trial baloon' from a pompous lout, but after all the hearings are over i doubt there will be much change. Pulic figure protection may increase but ta is a separate issue.
ChumpChange
ChumpChange
  • Threads: 53
October 15th, 2020 at 6:26:22 PM permalink
MySpace turned into a dump pretty quick. Wanna go back there now?
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
  • Threads: 226
October 16th, 2020 at 3:56:33 AM permalink
Quote: ChumpChange

MySpace turned into a dump pretty quick. Wanna go back there now?

It is still open?
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
redietz
redietz
  • Threads: 48
October 16th, 2020 at 10:02:57 AM permalink
Quote: AlanMendelson

It is possible that soon rules for most social media forums and discussion groups will be forced to change with a new ruling that forums are no longer shielded from litigation over users' posts.

It is a very complicated issue. In short it's referred to as Section 230.

Basically Section 230 says a forum operator cant be sued for posts made by users.

Section 230 could be canceled, limited, or even removed.

Removal of 230 would open the door to lawsuits over libel, for example, in forum posts. Yes, the forum owner could be held liable.

Watch 230 carefully. If changed you might see forums closing rather than the owners risking litigation or facing moderation requirements.

You may want to read this: https://www.cnbc.com/2020/10/15/fcc-chairman-says-he-will-to-clarify-tech-legal-shield-section-230.html

I hope it passes. People should be held accountable for both what is printed and what they allow to be printed.
"You can't breathe dead hippo waking, sleeping, and eating, and at the same time keep your precarious grip on existence."
redietz
redietz
  • Threads: 48
October 16th, 2020 at 10:05:51 AM permalink
Quote: AZDuffman

That would kill forums, which is probably the intent. My personal belief is that if the people who opened the internet to commercial use saw the exchange of ideas and information as we have it now we would still be using Prodigy(R) accounts.

Agree 100%, and you and I don't agree on all that.

My next self-education project is to catch up on research spotlighting the effects of (1)internet and (2)forum use on cognition. It'll probably take me a year to get some working idea of what's going on, but well worth it.
"You can't breathe dead hippo waking, sleeping, and eating, and at the same time keep your precarious grip on existence."

• Jump to: