Quote: DRich

Simple minds swear, .......

This is total hogwash.
bobbartop
bobbartop
  • Threads: 130
January 15th, 2020 at 8:40:31 AM permalink
Quote: DRich

Simple minds swear, I think we want a more educated and eloquent crowd here.

I can't argue with the point, but these are different times. And I don't think we're ever going to go return to the "good ol days". I am old enough to remember the days when you would be severely frowned upon to cuss in front of a woman. I can't pinpoint where we got off that track. But I grew up in the card rooms of Los Angeles and somewhere along the way I have become one of the worst violators. Sure, I still have enough sense to know there are people I would never cuss in front of, mainly people of the older generation, yes older than I am. I dunno what to say. Maybe I need my mouth washed out with soap, for real.

A note, I have never been out of the country in my life, but I am of the impression that people in Europe use the f-word like it's nothing. Maybe I'm wrong, but if that's true, I just wonder how that culture developed. Interesting.
'Emergencies' have always been the pretext on which the safeguards of individual liberty have been eroded.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
  • Threads: 229
January 15th, 2020 at 8:41:13 AM permalink
Quote: TigerWu

This is total hogwash.

Not at all. People swearing usually cannot make their point. Serious people donít take them seriously.

I can say in my life the more foul the mouth the lower the social class.
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
bobbartop
bobbartop
January 15th, 2020 at 8:52:32 AM permalink
Quote: AZDuffman

Not at all. People swearing usually cannot make their point. Serious people donít take them seriously.

Stopped at a red light the guy next to me has his window down and radio blasting f-words for everyone to hear. Different times, AZD. I dunno what to say. Everything is so different than it was even 30 years ago.
'Emergencies' have always been the pretext on which the safeguards of individual liberty have been eroded.
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 80
January 15th, 2020 at 9:40:09 AM permalink

That is my experience also.
Order from chaos
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
  • Threads: 229
January 15th, 2020 at 10:37:06 AM permalink
Quote: bobbartop

Stopped at a red light the guy next to me has his window down and radio blasting f-words for everyone to hear. Different times, AZD. I dunno what to say. Everything is so different than it was even 30 years ago.

Way back when Dice Clay was big my brother knew a kid got a ticket for blasting the profanity. Cop actually put an example word on the citation.
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
rdw4potus
rdw4potus
  • Threads: 80
January 15th, 2020 at 10:55:43 AM permalink

Way back when Dice Clay was big my brother knew a kid got a ticket for blasting the profanity. Cop actually put an example word on the citation.

So then your brother switched to blaring NWA and pulled out a copy of the bill of rights?
"So as the clock ticked and the day passed, opportunity met preparation, and luck happened." - Maurice Clarett
unJon
unJon 
  • Threads: 14
Thanks for this post from:
AcesAndEights
January 15th, 2020 at 10:59:06 AM permalink
Of interest: https://www.sciencealert.com/swearing-is-a-sign-of-more-intelligence-not-less-say-scientists
The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong; but that is the way to bet.
bobbartop
bobbartop
January 15th, 2020 at 11:03:57 AM permalink
I can't help think Joe Pesci while reading this thread. lol
redietz
redietz
  • Threads: 49
January 15th, 2020 at 11:11:42 AM permalink
Quote: unJon

Of interest: https://www.sciencealert.com/swearing-is-a-sign-of-more-intelligence-not-less-say-scientists

Excellent post.

Nothing worse than making cause/effect declarations based on one's remembered/biased personal experiences. If I say, based on my personal experiences, that "complex minds use profanity" or "people using profanity are best able to make their points," why should that be taken any less seriously than the opposite? I'm offering no real data or information. I'm just declaring for no good reason.
"You can't breathe dead hippo waking, sleeping, and eating, and at the same time keep your precarious grip on existence."

• Jump to: