OnceDear
Administrator
OnceDear
  • Threads: 44
July 28th, 2020 at 12:20:49 PM permalink
Quote: gordonm888

Defund the secret mods!

Mods are funded???
Take care out there. Spare a thought for the newly poor who were happy in their world just a few days ago, but whose whole way of life just collapsed..
Joeman
Joeman
  • Threads: 34
July 28th, 2020 at 12:29:56 PM permalink
Quote: OnceDear

Mods are funded???

Sweet. Where do I sign up to be a secret mod? Er, I mean, where would a friend of mine whose identity is unknown go to sign up? ;)
"Dealer has 'rock'... Pay 'paper!'"
gordonm888
gordonm888
  • Threads: 38
July 28th, 2020 at 12:45:15 PM permalink
What does a secret moderator do? Just alert a non-secret moderator when there is a problem? I mean, that's kind of bogus, isn't it?
So many better men, a few of them friends, were dead. And a thousand thousand slimy things lived on, and so did I.
Joeman
Joeman
  • Threads: 34
July 28th, 2020 at 12:48:53 PM permalink
Quote: gordonm888

What does a secret moderator do? Just alert a non-secret moderator when there is a problem? I mean, that's kind of bogus, isn't it?

I'm pretty sure that they can edit/remove any non-mod posts. I'd imagine they could suspend accounts as well.
"Dealer has 'rock'... Pay 'paper!'"
gamerfreak
gamerfreak
  • Threads: 47
July 28th, 2020 at 12:54:55 PM permalink
My understanding has always been that they are there to help clean up spam posts, but otherwise donít want to be identified as a mod.

To narrow it down, I took a few screenshots a year or two ago when I noticed some spam posts getting nuked, yet no mods were online. I think I know who one is, but didnít really bother investigating much.
OnceDear
Administrator
OnceDear
  • Threads: 44
Thanks for this post from:
Mission146
July 28th, 2020 at 1:03:11 PM permalink
Quote: gamerfreak

My understanding has always been that they are there to help clean up spam posts, but otherwise donít want to be identified as a mod.

To narrow it down, I took a few screenshots a year or two ago when I noticed some spam posts getting nuked, yet no mods were online. I think I know who one is, but didnít really bother investigating much.

I was briefly a secret mod and did some simple spam clearing, especially during US night hours. Anything that required policy interpretation was deferred to a regular mod. Secret mods have a slightly lower set of features.
I'm not aware of much recent application of secret mod powers.
Take care out there. Spare a thought for the newly poor who were happy in their world just a few days ago, but whose whole way of life just collapsed..
rdw4potus
rdw4potus
  • Threads: 80
Mission146
July 28th, 2020 at 1:10:20 PM permalink
Quote: Joeman

I'm pretty sure that they can edit/remove any non-mod posts. I'd imagine they could suspend accounts as well.

They can edit for sure. the "last edited by" stamp is how I know who one is/was.
"So as the clock ticked and the day passed, opportunity met preparation, and luck happened." - Maurice Clarett
kewlj
kewlj
  • Threads: 198
July 28th, 2020 at 1:31:04 PM permalink
I don't quite "get" the concept of secret mods? If someone is mod, they are a mod. Why the need for secrecy and lack of transparency?
Mission146
Mission146
  • Threads: 123
OnceDear
July 28th, 2020 at 1:35:22 PM permalink
Quote: DeMango

I was wondering about Mission!

I was almost certainly one of the ones he jumped from the bottom to #4.
Vultures can't be choosers.
Mission146
Mission146
  • Threads: 123
July 28th, 2020 at 1:41:38 PM permalink
Quote: kewlj

I don't quite "get" the concept of secret mods? If someone is mod, they are a mod. Why the need for secrecy and lack of transparency?

Perhaps Wizard will offer a better or more of an answer, but here are a few reasons that I might think.

1. Someone might want to help out with the site without actually being Green. Spam deletion, and what have you. I think I mentioned it when I resigned, but I actually still have the ability to delete spam and ban the spammers, because there were some permissions I needed to retain in order to also be able to edit articles...which I obviously have to be able to do.***

2. Being a Secret Mod isn't exactly a, 'Training,' per se, but I know I was a Secret Mod for a short time before going green. Mainly shows that you're not going to run around doing stupid and arbitrary things.

3. Because you wouldn't necessarily want everyone to be able to tell if there is or is not a Moderator online. Otherwise, they could make posts that might be against the rules, but then edit them before any Moderator sees them and could take action.

Those three aside, you'd have to ask Wizard.

***For the record, I take no action as relates active posters and have no input. I'll also only outright delete spam threads if that is the only post in the thread.
Vultures can't be choosers.

• Jump to: