Malaru
Malaru
  • Threads: 79
February 14th, 2013 at 12:40:41 AM permalink
there's actually a decent amount of here at any given time.. is there any ability to get a simple chat room going for this site? Just curious- Im sure its been brought up before.
"Although men flatter themselves with their great actions, they are not so often the result of a great design as of chance." - Francois De La Rochefoucauld
Fuengirola2
Fuengirola2
  • Threads: 10
February 14th, 2013 at 1:17:44 AM permalink
Or we could use IRC? Do anyone here use IRC? I do!
gameterror
gameterror
  • Threads: 2
February 14th, 2013 at 2:37:45 AM permalink
yeah...why not just use irc and start something like #wov or #wizard if it's not taken

edit: #wov is free on quakenet. if you are currently not using IRC...you can simple use http://webchat.quakenet.org/ and select this channel.
Things have never been so swell I have never failed to fail
sodawater
sodawater
  • Threads: 64
February 14th, 2013 at 3:21:48 AM permalink
this should end well
Malaru
Malaru
  • Threads: 79
February 14th, 2013 at 4:05:46 AM permalink
Quote: sodawater

this should end well

I smell a hint of sarcasm. :)) :)) lol
"Although men flatter themselves with their great actions, they are not so often the result of a great design as of chance." - Francois De La Rochefoucauld
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 441
February 14th, 2013 at 6:58:45 AM permalink
I hate chat. Its where a bunch of people who have nothing
to say get together and say it all at once. Its as useless
as texting. Ever notice the people who text the most are
usually idiots? Thats where we live now, the morons are
talking to each other non stop.
"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
MonkeyMonkey
MonkeyMonkey
  • Threads: 13
February 15th, 2013 at 3:03:26 AM permalink
It's a terrible idea because:

- It would cannibalize the posting that happens here.
- People would constantly be referring to things said in chat that no one would be able to verify.
- It would create (more) cliques, with the chatters being one group and the anti-chatters the other.

I have never seen this idea implemented and not have these issues pop up. And once there's a "feature" (even if it's destroying the culture of the site) if you take it away people will scream and protest. Better to not even start down that road.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
  • Threads: 240
February 15th, 2013 at 5:05:21 AM permalink
I don't see chat working here. Most posters like a longer and more thoughtful response than chat gives. Add me to the 'chat haters' list. Didn't like it in the 1990s and still don't. Only time I found it useful was working in group settings when you need to get a message out or want a flashing message too short for an email when the person you need is gone.
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 441
February 15th, 2013 at 1:36:38 PM permalink
I hate chatting for the same reason I hate talking
on the phone. You're under pressure to keep the
conversation going. I don't even have a phone
anybody can call me on. I have Google voicemail
where you can leave a message to call you. But I
have no phone thats turned on.

Buckminster Fuller had no telephone. He said it was
like having a rope around your ankle, anytime somebody
wanted you, they just jerked on the rope.
"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
Buzzard
Buzzard
  • Threads: 90
February 15th, 2013 at 2:22:05 PM permalink
But EvenBob, by not having a phone, that mean I can not wake you up at 4 AM when I misdial.
Shed not for her the bitter tear Nor give the heart to vain regret Tis but the casket that lies here, The gem that filled it Sparkles yet
PlayHunter
PlayHunter
  • Threads: 67
March 2nd, 2013 at 2:40:31 PM permalink
For the sake of this thread, would be a good idea to make a pool out of it. But I am in the No Chat Group too, I have all sorts of chat accounts (ICQ, AOL, Yahoo Messenger, Windows Messenger, Google Talk, and Facebook but I only chat once in a while when I need to talk with someone about a specific thing, and other than that I feel quite a bit disturbed when I am reading an article on Facebook and the Facebook chat pops up and someone ask me various things .. I am not a big fan of empty talking and that would be a pool chat.

But yes, I find it a great Idea for someone to set up a IRC channel for this site, and that channel to be posted here on the WoV home page, so that the people who are in Yes Chat Group to go and have their fun there. - www . mibbit . com - is great for this purpose !

If we were only to suggest new features for this forum, I`d love to see a "Thanks" or some "Thumbs Up" / "Thumbs Down" buttons.
MonkeyMonkey
MonkeyMonkey
  • Threads: 13
March 2nd, 2013 at 3:13:34 PM permalink
Quote: PlayHunter

For the sake of this thread, would be a good idea to make a pool out of it

For the sake of the admins/owners sanity I'd say never let the inmates run the asylum. I've helped to run online communities and putting feature ideas, especially destructive features like chat, to a vote is a bad way to run the site for all the reasons I originally stated on this subject.

If members want to chat I say let them exchange Yahoo Id's or whatever, but any sort of official WoV chat is a bad way to go.
  • Jump to: