MDawg
MDawg
  • Threads: 39
February 26th, 2024 at 8:51:30 AM permalink
More sophisticated forums give moderators permission to delete posts permanently or to "soft delete" them which makes them visible only to Admin.

When the next update is done, assuming this sort of modification is even possible within the framework of this forum's software, I'd suggest that capability.

Because, for example, I made the below suggestion that the posts of of sock puppets be deleted to discourage the return of sock puppets, but retaining their posts to have them on hand to study them and compare them to future posts by the more determined socks like KewlJ, Buzzard, WizardofNothing, etc., might be a good idea too.

Soft delete!

Quote: MDawg

Magister was a KewlJ sock puppet, as AxelWolf suspected from the start.

Youlyingdawg might have been KewlJ, a sort of

version of Magister, but I don't know for sure.

However, what I do know is that socks of nuked members will keep coming here as long as they think that their words will be heard.

Pursuant to Rule 16, "If we ban somebody it means we don't want to hear from them any longer,"

and a deterrent policy of making it so that whatever a sock posts here will not be heard,

I believe that anything a sock posts here should be eradicated. Deleted. Stricken from all pylons and obelisks.

Ya falla?
link to original post

Last edited by: MDawg on Feb 26, 2024
I tell you it’s wonderful to be here, man. I don’t give a damn who wins or loses. It’s just wonderful to be here with you people. https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/gambling/betting-systems/33908-the-adventures-of-mdawg/
Mission146
Mission146
  • Threads: 142
February 26th, 2024 at 9:14:52 AM permalink
I can’t imagine what use there would be to retain posts if an Admin wants them deleted; Admins do have the ability to delete posts, but it’s permanent.
https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/off-topic/gripes/11182-pet-peeves/120/#post815219
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
  • Threads: 240
February 26th, 2024 at 9:17:57 AM permalink
Quote: Mission146

I can’t imagine what use there would be to retain posts if an Admin wants them deleted; Admins do have the ability to delete posts, but it’s permanent.
link to original post

Perhaps in some cases to show what is not tolerated? Actual examples?
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
MDawg
MDawg
February 26th, 2024 at 9:34:47 AM permalink
Probably shouldn't get into too much public detail of the WHYs and HOWs but rather just say that this capability might be useful in the great white sock hunt.
I tell you it’s wonderful to be here, man. I don’t give a damn who wins or loses. It’s just wonderful to be here with you people. https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/gambling/betting-systems/33908-the-adventures-of-mdawg/
gordonm888
Administrator
gordonm888
  • Threads: 60
February 26th, 2024 at 1:01:40 PM permalink
My rationale for a soft delete capability is as follows:

Sometimes we have a sock but we admins are unsure who has created it (the software giving us ip and server info is circumvented by the sock's use of VPN or by other means). I think there would be some benefit for admins to be able to keep an archive of some sock messages so that we can compare the style and wording of the messages to other sock messages or to posts by current members. There may be some aspects of the VPN that we can analyze. It just seems to me that we are throwing a lot of info away by deleting all the sock messages.

I often get on the forum to learn that a dastardly sock has posted and that the posts have already been deleted (usually by the energetic and omnipresent Dieter) before I ever see them. I would like to be able to see what sock activity is happening in my forum, who is being targeted and what clues might be in the text. Knowledge is power.

These remarks pertain only to socks; I am certainly in favor of permanently deleting all spam and advertising posts immediately.
So many better men, a few of them friends, are dead. And a thousand thousand slimy things live on, and so do I.
OnceDear
OnceDear
  • Threads: 63
February 26th, 2024 at 1:16:56 PM permalink
Quote: gordonm888

My rationale for a soft delete capability is as follows:

link to original post

Tip. Copy the sock post into a PM to yourself and CC the other moderator.

Bonus point. Copy in the Recent IP and UA string
Psalm 25:16 Turn to me and be gracious to me, for I am lonely and afflicted. Proverbs 18:2 A fool finds no satisfaction in trying to understand, for he would rather express his own opinion.
MDawg
MDawg
February 27th, 2024 at 8:53:46 AM permalink
Well now we know why OnceDear was without rival at sock hunting.

A screen shot kept on file might be something to consider too.

Now that Nathan has no need to create socks, most recent puppets seem to come back to

KewlJ - his now include Magister , FlyEaglesFly , FictionLover

Buzzard - (too many)

USPapergames - (many)

Boz - (Realdog , Mdawgrukes , Dave2121, Himike, Notboz11, Notboz12, Notboz20, Notboz21, Notboz22, Notboz30, Notboz31, Notboz32, Notboz33, Notboz34 )

WizardofNothing - (aka Expectedvalue / Advantageplay / ivyleaguegrad / IsolveCrimes / WizardOfNothing / Wynn4me) also seems aka jeffwarren75 and YouLyingDawg.
Last edited by: MDawg on Feb 27, 2024
  • Jump to: