Thread Rating:

Ace2
Ace2
Joined: Oct 2, 2017
  • Threads: 31
  • Posts: 2534
August 13th, 2020 at 7:24:59 PM permalink
Iím in Reno for the first time

The first difference I encountered was how donít pass bets are handled. Once a point is established, the bet travels to that point and then you give the dealer your odds bet...so itís treated like a donít come bet. Iím not fond of this method since I like heeling/bridging the odds myself on my DP bet.

Every craps table Iíve seen has been $10 3/4/5

Thatís it so far. Overall Iíd say Reno is similar to downtown Las Vegas, though Reno looks much cleaner
Last edited by: Ace2 on Aug 13, 2020
Itís all about making that GTA
MDawg
MDawg
Joined: Sep 27, 2018
  • Threads: 36
  • Posts: 6422
August 13th, 2020 at 8:10:15 PM permalink
Why not keep going on to Tahoe, which is beautiful.

Atlantis and Peppermill Reno have nice suites but - you don't feel that Reno is a dump?
I tell you itís wonderful to be here, man. I donít give a damn who wins or loses. Itís just wonderful to be here with you people. https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/gambling/betting-systems/33908-the-adventures-of-mdawg/
Ace2
Ace2
Joined: Oct 2, 2017
  • Threads: 31
  • Posts: 2534
August 13th, 2020 at 8:19:48 PM permalink
Quote: MDawg

Why not keep going on to Tahoe, which is beautiful.

Atlantis and Peppermill Reno have nice suites but - you don't feel that Reno is a dump?

I passed through Tahoe en route. It is beautiful

I wouldnít call Reno a dump. But comparing it to a nice Vegas strip casino is sort of like comparing Chiliís to Mortonís

I doubt Iíll be back, just passing through
Itís all about making that GTA
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
Joined: Oct 14, 2009
  • Threads: 1470
  • Posts: 25734
August 13th, 2020 at 9:01:00 PM permalink
Reno has become a nice place to live, but I wouldn't want to visit there.
ďExtraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.Ē -- Carl Sagan
smoothgrh
smoothgrh
Joined: Oct 26, 2011
  • Threads: 83
  • Posts: 1117
August 13th, 2020 at 9:09:28 PM permalink
Quote: Wizard

Reno has become a nice place to live, but I wouldn't want to visit there.



[rimshot]
kewlj
kewlj
Joined: Apr 17, 2012
  • Threads: 216
  • Posts: 4635
August 13th, 2020 at 9:55:46 PM permalink
Have you checked out the blackjack games? I am curious to know if the traditional handheld games Reno is famous for are now dealt face up without players touching the cards?

I thought that was supposed to be mandatory here in Vegas, but it turns out some places are complying like Stations dealing double deck games face up (no touching) but some places like Boyd are still doing it the old way.

Also I don't know about craps but one of the big differences you will see between Reno and Las Vegas in blackjack has to do with what betting limits are tolerated and draw heat, if you are varying wagers.
DeMango
DeMango
Joined: Feb 2, 2010
  • Threads: 36
  • Posts: 2958
August 13th, 2020 at 9:58:48 PM permalink
Went on SWA site compared prices Denver to Vegas or Reno, mid September. $122 vs $193, Vegas wins, but by a smaller margin than expected. Now to retire to Colorado!
When a rock is thrown into a pack of dogs, the one that yells the loudest is the one who got hit.
Ace2
Ace2
Joined: Oct 2, 2017
  • Threads: 31
  • Posts: 2534
August 13th, 2020 at 10:00:32 PM permalink
I have not looked at the blackjack tables

Come to think of it, I donít think Iíve played a hand of BJ in at least two years. Just dice now
Itís all about making that GTA
kewlj
kewlj
Joined: Apr 17, 2012
  • Threads: 216
  • Posts: 4635
August 13th, 2020 at 10:19:22 PM permalink
Quote: DeMango

Went on SWA site compared prices Denver to Vegas or Reno, mid September. $122 vs $193, Vegas wins, but by a smaller margin than expected. Now to retire to Colorado!



Check Frontier. They are based out of Denver and very cheap to Vegas. I don't know about Reno.

Actually before coronavirus hit Frontier had expanded their routes from Vegas and was flying directly to Philadelphia, for anywhere from $89 to $129. Extremely reasonable. Frontier cut back it's routes dramatically when Vegas shutdown and now only flies to Philly with a stopover in Denver. I am not ready to fly yet anyway, but I am sort of hoping they pick up those routes again when this is all over.
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
Joined: Oct 19, 2009
  • Threads: 265
  • Posts: 14484
August 13th, 2020 at 11:40:10 PM permalink
Quote: Wizard

Reno has become a nice place to live, but I wouldn't want to visit there.

Maybe. my mind is going but I cant understand that sentence at all.





>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>retire to Colorado????????
For weird laws, narrow roads and a two dollar table with 50 dollars in odds?????????????
DRich
DRich
Joined: Jul 6, 2012
  • Threads: 85
  • Posts: 10754
August 14th, 2020 at 7:26:26 AM permalink
I agree with Wizard. Reno is a nice city and the type of city I would live in if it didn't get so cold. I am not much of a fan of the casinos there, but the rest of the city is nice and offers a lot.
At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.
21forme
21forme
Joined: Feb 27, 2011
  • Threads: 6
  • Posts: 159
August 14th, 2020 at 8:26:31 AM permalink
Quote: kewlj

Check Frontier.


My no-fly list includes Frontier, Allegiant and Spirit. Of the three, I was on Allegiant once - didn't have a choice. Never flew the lothers. Horribly uncomfortable seats. No recline, no padding. Think metal folding chair :-)

Frontier has a terrible on-time record. All three nickel and dime you to death.
DeMango
DeMango
Joined: Feb 2, 2010
  • Threads: 36
  • Posts: 2958
August 14th, 2020 at 8:54:54 AM permalink
Quote: 21forme

My no-fly list includes Frontier, Allegiant and Spirit. Of the three, I was on Allegiant once - didn't have a choice. Never flew the lothers. Horribly uncomfortable seats. No recline, no padding. Think metal folding chair :-)

Frontier has a terrible on-time record. All three nickel and dime you to death.


I agree, after all the dimes, Frontier only saves pennies. Kewl, you should check out all the choices on SWA, must be 25 on a daily basis, and these days I get my own row! The cheapest flights carry the least customers, so walk to the back, sit in the aisle seat, families fill up middle seats, which are not sold, so many in the back have their own row. For me the golden age of flying is right now.
When a rock is thrown into a pack of dogs, the one that yells the loudest is the one who got hit.
DRich
DRich
Joined: Jul 6, 2012
  • Threads: 85
  • Posts: 10754
August 14th, 2020 at 11:50:37 AM permalink
Quote: 21forme

My no-fly list includes Frontier, Allegiant and Spirit. Of the three, I was on Allegiant once - didn't have a choice. Never flew the lothers. Horribly uncomfortable seats. No recline, no padding. Think metal folding chair :-)

Frontier has a terrible on-time record. All three nickel and dime you to death.



I fly those three airlines many times a year and they have never nickeled and dimed me. I just refuse to pay for anything extra. I am just looking to be relocated from one city to the next.
At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.
kewlj
kewlj
Joined: Apr 17, 2012
  • Threads: 216
  • Posts: 4635
August 14th, 2020 at 12:26:41 PM permalink
Quote: DRich

I fly those three airlines many times a year and they have never nickeled and dimed me. I just refuse to pay for anything extra. I am just looking to be relocated from one city to the next.



Depends on if you consider "a seat" nickel and diming. LOL.

These airlines quote a price that doesn't include a seat. You then have to pick a seat at additional charge.

That said, I sort of like Spirit. Started flying them 5 years ago when my partner was alive. He was a "bigger" guy. So spirit would quote a price that was under $99. But like I said that didn't include a seat, which would run anywhere from $29 on up. For about 50 bucks we could choose the wider seats in the front two or three rows, which were two seats across as opposed to 3, offering substantially more room. (plus first off the plane). The total price even with the extra charge for the bigger front seat was well below the normal price of other airlines.
Vegasrider
Vegasrider
Joined: Dec 23, 2017
  • Threads: 87
  • Posts: 959
Thanks for this post from:
AxelWolfsmoothgrh
August 14th, 2020 at 1:59:57 PM permalink
Welcome to our city! The Western Village Steakhouse is a must, if you can get in. The casino itself is very small with real low limits in the pit. It is the best casino to play if you like machines.

I lived in Vegas for about 15 years, and always perceived Reno as a dump, second fiddle to Vegas and so on. After moving to Reno back in 2015, I prefer living in Reno over Vegas. I also like the change of seasons in terms of the weather. I love being on the foothills of the Sierras, being 20 minutes from Lake Tahoe and the fact that I cam fly in and out of the airport like the pre 911 days. I show up 20-30 minutes before my flight is scheduled to depart. Plus I can get anywhere within 15 minutes no matter what time of day it is. And I'm still in the great state of Nev.
DRich
DRich
Joined: Jul 6, 2012
  • Threads: 85
  • Posts: 10754
August 14th, 2020 at 2:30:36 PM permalink
Quote: kewlj

Depends on if you consider "a seat" nickel and diming. LOL.

These airlines quote a price that doesn't include a seat. You then have to pick a seat at additional charge.



None of those airlines force you to pay for a seat. They may mislead you to believe that, but if you don't pay for a seat one will be assigned to you at check-in.

I have probably flown Allegiant a 100 times, Spirit 50 times and Frontier 10 time and haven't paid for a seat.
At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.
21forme
21forme
Joined: Feb 27, 2011
  • Threads: 6
  • Posts: 159
August 14th, 2020 at 2:47:19 PM permalink
There was a joke going around a few months ago that those 3 airlines counted a mask as your personal item.
kewlj
kewlj
Joined: Apr 17, 2012
  • Threads: 216
  • Posts: 4635
August 14th, 2020 at 2:57:53 PM permalink
Quote: DRich

None of those airlines force you to pay for a seat. They may mislead you to believe that, but if you don't pay for a seat one will be assigned to you at check-in.



Really. I didn't know that. Count me as one of the gullible that pays for a seat then. Actually I like to pick my seat, anyway.
Vegasrider
Vegasrider
Joined: Dec 23, 2017
  • Threads: 87
  • Posts: 959
August 14th, 2020 at 4:24:12 PM permalink
Quote: DRich



I have probably flown Allegiant a 100 times,



Brave man. Not even the FAA flies that airline. Allegiant was featured on 60 minutes CBS a couple of years ago. The in depth coverage they discovered was horrific. So bad that they asked would anyone from the FAA fly Allegiant and they all said no. But to be fair, that were the days when they were flying the old MD-80's. They have upgraded to a newer fleet but some of the negative practices could still be in their culture.
DRich
DRich
Joined: Jul 6, 2012
  • Threads: 85
  • Posts: 10754
August 14th, 2020 at 7:19:01 PM permalink
Quote: Vegasrider

Brave man. Not even the FAA flies that airline. Allegiant was featured on 60 minutes CBS a couple of years ago. The in depth coverage they discovered was horrific. So bad that they asked would anyone from the FAA fly Allegiant and they all said no. But to be fair, that were the days when they were flying the old MD-80's. They have upgraded to a newer fleet but some of the negative practices could still be in their culture.



I saw that but most of the issues were with their 30 year old MD-80's. They no longer fly any of those planes. Surprisingly their fleet is pretty young because they now fly all Airbus.
At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.
JSTAT
JSTAT
Joined: Feb 8, 2011
  • Threads: 6
  • Posts: 64
August 15th, 2020 at 8:00:23 AM permalink
The Don't Pass bet is moved behind the puck indicating the point from the Don't Pass line. Some dealers forget to take the bet down when a point is hit. Craps dealers are usually required to say "down behind" while taking the losing Don't bet. Sloppy dealers will say nothing and occasionally leave the bet up, giving players an extra shot to win.

Also Reno rules bar aces (snake eyes) on Don't instead of 12 (boxcars) like in Vegas
Casino reporter, enjoys blackjack/baccarat card counting, Bay Area poker pro, JSTAT@Casino_Examiner on Twitter
Vegasrider
Vegasrider
Joined: Dec 23, 2017
  • Threads: 87
  • Posts: 959
August 15th, 2020 at 9:15:08 AM permalink
Walked thru the pit at the Nuggett in Sparks around 9 pm Friday Night,, 3:2 BJ and Pai Gow both $10 Min with seats open. UTH and 3 Card Poker was also $10.
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
Joined: Oct 19, 2009
  • Threads: 265
  • Posts: 14484
August 15th, 2020 at 10:21:15 AM permalink
Quote: JSTAT

The Don't Pass bet is moved behind the puck indicating the point from the Don't Pass line. Some dealers forget to take the bet down when a point is hit. Craps dealers are usually required to say "down behind" while taking the losing Don't bet. Sloppy dealers will say nothing and occasionally leave the bet up, giving players an extra shot to win.

This dealer forgetfulness is one reason you should tip early in the game, otherwise dealers can develop really good memories.
Keyser
Keyser
Joined: Apr 16, 2010
  • Threads: 35
  • Posts: 2101
August 15th, 2020 at 12:01:23 PM permalink
The legalization of marijuana in Vegas has turned it into dangerous foul smelling toilet. Gone are the days of glamorous shows, gambling and class. A ghetto element has consumed the northern end of the strip and is rapidly moving south. The new dress code is the hoody, sagging pants, and dread locks.

Reno is now a safer city than LV.
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
Joined: Oct 19, 2009
  • Threads: 265
  • Posts: 14484
August 15th, 2020 at 12:29:19 PM permalink
Quote: Keyser


Reno is now a safer city than LV.

I fear you may be correct.
billryan
billryan
Joined: Nov 2, 2009
  • Threads: 236
  • Posts: 15530
August 15th, 2020 at 12:57:40 PM permalink
Quote: Keyser

The legalization of marijuana in Vegas has turned it into dangerous foul smelling toilet. Gone are the days of glamorous shows, gambling and class. A ghetto element has consumed the northern end of the strip and is rapidly moving south. The new dress code is the hoody, sagging pants, and dread locks.

Reno is now a safer city than LV.



I was having a bit of a rough morning, but you made me laugh, as usual.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
mcallister3200
mcallister3200
Joined: Dec 29, 2013
  • Threads: 17
  • Posts: 3462
August 15th, 2020 at 1:36:54 PM permalink
Reefer Madness lives on.
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
Joined: Oct 19, 2009
  • Threads: 265
  • Posts: 14484
August 15th, 2020 at 3:12:06 PM permalink
Quote: mcallister3200

Reefer Madness lives on.

its not the wearing of a reefer or the smoking of one, but how pervasive it may have become.
I recall LA gangs each being in Vegas and no one was surprised when the casino cops retreated.

  • Jump to: