LuckyPhow
LuckyPhow
  • Threads: 55
July 16th, 2017 at 6:46:30 PM permalink
Would some Administrator explain to me about how the Most Active Forum Threads (MAFT) function works?

The other day I was trying to locate a WoV discussion thread and thought I might find it in the MAFT section. The post I wanted to find wasn't real recent, but IMHO it wasn't real old either. And, I recalled it had been on the MAFT. So, I went looking. And, what did I find?

I found MAFT report having 1,314 pages (as of this writing), but only the first 3 list any message threads. All the others say, "There are no threads in this topic. Start a new thread," and mark the empty page -- each of them -- as "HOT."

Is there some particular reason for maintaining over 1,300 empty pages? Is there some reason older "active" message threads disappear? Curious minds want to know.
Mission146
Mission146
  • Threads: 142
July 16th, 2017 at 6:48:28 PM permalink
What browser are you using? I can't recreate the problem. I've actually never clicked on that list before, since I read almost every thread, I just use, 'Recent Threads' list.

I clicked on it, though, and it's all relatively recent threads. I don't know what the algorithm that decides what order the threads should be in is.
https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/off-topic/gripes/11182-pet-peeves/120/#post815219
LuckyPhow
LuckyPhow
  • Threads: 55
July 16th, 2017 at 6:59:10 PM permalink
Quote: Mission146

What browser are you using? I can't recreate the problem.

Wow! Such a prompt response. Thank you. I use Firefox as my Internet browser.

So, if you go to the last MAFT page, you actually see threads there? I don't. If you go to page 4 of MAFT you see threads there? I don't. The last message thread I see on Page 3 is by Dyvan13 about "Palms Point Multiplier Days" written on 16-Jul-2017 at 2:30 pm.

Is it because you are an Admin and I am not? Perhaps someone else (not an Admin) can check whether they seen empty pages starting at page 4 and continuing to the Last page. It would be interesting to determine if this is a problem only for me, or a problem for all non-Admins.
Mission146
Mission146
  • Threads: 142
Thanked by
LuckyPhow
July 16th, 2017 at 7:32:07 PM permalink
You're welcome.

I get it, you're having problems with anything beyond the first three pages of results, I thought you just meant anything past the first three individual results. You're correct, if I go to Page Four, everything is all gone.

I'll send a PM to one of our tech guys to look into it, in the meantime, might I offer the following suggestions for a more User-Friendly and convenient experience, this is also my favorite way to do it:

1.) Before you log out today, go to the main, 'Forums,' page and click on, 'Recent Threads.'

2.) When you get to the next screen, click the box that says, 'Mark as Read.'

3.) Next time you log in, you can go to, 'Recent Threads,' and anything that you have not read will be emboldened. You can scroll down (or change pages) until you find the last emboldened thread and then go up from there. If a thread is not in bold, then there have not been any new posts in that thread since you have last logged out.

It's a very quick way to search through thread titles and only search threads with posts that you have not yet read.
https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/off-topic/gripes/11182-pet-peeves/120/#post815219
  • Jump to: