Malaru
Malaru
  • Threads: 79
April 15th, 2010 at 5:33:13 PM permalink
Its not a big deal- as all I do is the conversion in my head- and Im used to military time; but would it be possible into looking into being able to set your own time-zone preferances on the board? I know all it is is converting military to standard and then adding three for my own time zone- but still, its just something Id like to ask about. :)
"Although men flatter themselves with their great actions, they are not so often the result of a great design as of chance." - Francois De La Rochefoucauld
AcesAndEights
AcesAndEights
  • Threads: 67
April 16th, 2013 at 5:07:35 PM permalink
Quote: Malaru

Its not a big deal- as all I do is the conversion in my head- and Im used to military time; but would it be possible into looking into being able to set your own time-zone preferances on the board? I know all it is is converting military to standard and then adding three for my own time zone- but still, its just something Id like to ask about. :)

Does this board seriously show up in Pacific time for everyone? I've never noticed it as I'm in Pacific time myself.

Unless there's some magic under the hood using your IP address to attempt to geo-locate you....which would be cool....but I don't think that's happening. If it is, bravo JB!
"So drink gamble eat f***, because one day you will be dust." -ontariodealer
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1493
April 16th, 2013 at 5:19:56 PM permalink
I think JB and I discussed this years ago. It isn't out of the question, but it would be complicated and slow the system down. The short answer is "no," it just ain't gonna happen.
"For with much wisdom comes much sorrow." -- Ecclesiastes 1:18 (NIV)
AcesAndEights
AcesAndEights
  • Threads: 67
April 16th, 2013 at 5:23:46 PM permalink
Quote: Wizard

I think JB and I discussed this years ago. It isn't out of the question, but it would be complicated and slow the system down. The short answer is "no," it just ain't gonna happen.

The complicated IP address geo-location thing I mentioned would be stupid, I agree.

But a simple user preference would be easy to implement; all the other forum software packages support it.

I realize you and JB rolled your own here specifically just to support the features you want, and I respect that. But it wouldn't be that hard to add and would scarcely slow down the site :).

It might add one more DB query per page request, but those kinds of queries are highly, highly adaptable to caching with big TTLs. How often does a user change their time zone, anyway?

Anyway, not a deal-breaker for me, since I'm in PST anyway.
"So drink gamble eat f***, because one day you will be dust." -ontariodealer
1BB
1BB
  • Threads: 18
April 16th, 2013 at 5:26:46 PM permalink
I'm on Eastern time and am used to adding the three hours.
Many people, especially ignorant people, want to punish you for speaking the truth. - Mahatma Ghandi
whatme
whatme
  • Threads: 8
April 16th, 2013 at 6:19:13 PM permalink
Quote: 1BB

I'm on Eastern time and am used to adding the three hours.

What we only add 3. I'v been adding 4 no wonder why I'm always late.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1493
April 16th, 2013 at 6:31:51 PM permalink
Quote: AcesAndEights

But a simple user preference would be easy to implement;

Good point. I'll bounce it off JB.
"For with much wisdom comes much sorrow." -- Ecclesiastes 1:18 (NIV)
vendman1
vendman1
  • Threads: 9
April 16th, 2013 at 6:43:01 PM permalink
Quote: AcesAndEights

Does this board seriously show up in Pacific time for everyone? I've never noticed it as I'm in Pacific time myself.

Unless there's some magic under the hood using your IP address to attempt to geo-locate you....which would be cool....but I don't think that's happening. If it is, bravo JB!

I'm in eastern time..as far as I can tell all times are Pacific...posting this at 9:43 pm Eastern...bet it says 6:43 when it shows up.
sodawater
sodawater
  • Threads: 64
April 16th, 2013 at 7:27:07 PM permalink
user time zone preference would be nice...

any chance there will be an m.wizardofvegas.com? this site is pretty hard to use on a phone in its current format.
tringlomane
tringlomane
  • Threads: 8
April 16th, 2013 at 7:46:26 PM permalink
I am used to adding the time. Last trip to Vegas, I didn't even bother changing my watch...lol
  • Jump to: