Thread Rating:

endermike
endermike
  • Threads: 7
February 26th, 2014 at 11:34:04 AM permalink
Quote: sodawater

it makes sense for wizard because every post and every view of that post generates ad views

Unless the noise starts to drown out the signal and people never come back.
AxiomOfChoice
AxiomOfChoice
  • Threads: 32
February 26th, 2014 at 11:36:23 AM permalink
Quote: sodawater

it makes sense for wizard because every post and every view of that post generates ad views

Then he should not have banned juicie jennie :) (this is a JOKE! Just pointing out that her threads were well-viewed)

I am actually not sure how his advertising agreement with Bovada works. Does he really get paid for views? Or only clicks? Or only new sign-ups as a result of the click?
1BB
1BB
  • Threads: 18
February 26th, 2014 at 11:44:04 AM permalink
Does anyone want to take a guess how many WOV members there are with no posts or only one or two posts?
Many people, especially ignorant people, want to punish you for speaking the truth. - Mahatma Ghandi
Face
Administrator
Face
  • Threads: 49
February 26th, 2014 at 11:56:07 AM permalink
Quote: Wizard

I've read through this thread and am considering the issue. A question to be addressed is if I get rid of the "top posters" list, what do I replace it with.

I also don't think we need the list of the "newest members." Personally, I've never paid any attention to it.

I've thought of this a few times... still got nothin'.

The Top Threads I use seldom, usually if I'm just looking for something interesting to read as long threads are usually long for a reason.

The New Member list I only look at to confirm if a spam post I nuked was indeed someone new. I can accomplish the same just by looking at the post in question, since everyone's post count is visible in the page.

Top Contributors, for those who care, would be better off with Aces version. As of now, it's the same unchanging 5 people, and clicking the header just takes you to a list sorted alphabetically. That being said, I do use the alphabetical list for other reasons, and if you ditch both the New Member and Top Poster threads, I'm unsure how I'd access it.

My only suggestion is I wish that the Blog bolded the way the Recent Threads does, to notify you when a blog has been read or when a post has been added since your last viewing.
The opinions of this moderator are for entertainment purposes only.
wudged
wudged
  • Threads: 2
February 26th, 2014 at 11:57:04 AM permalink
North of 75%
AcesAndEights
AcesAndEights
  • Threads: 67
February 26th, 2014 at 12:01:46 PM permalink
Originally I did the full list because I was curious where I ranked. Other people were curious, so I made it public. In no way am I encouraging people to post just for the sake of posting, or to incite a post-count-war. It should be considered for informational purposes only. If anyone is "inspired" by my list to artificially inflate their post count, then they have some serious problems.

If you think having a full list of posters sorted by post count is some way detrimental to the forum, well then I've got something for you right here. <points to crotch>
"So drink gamble eat f***, because one day you will be dust." -ontariodealer
AxiomOfChoice
AxiomOfChoice
  • Threads: 32
February 26th, 2014 at 12:21:03 PM permalink
Quote: AcesAndEights

If you think having a full list of posters sorted by post count is some way detrimental to the forum, well then I've got something for you right here. <points to crotch>

Oh, no, not my point at all. I just don't know that I'd put it up on the front page of the site.
beachbumbabs
Administrator
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 99
February 26th, 2014 at 12:39:03 PM permalink
The New Members I find very useful in adminning and I'd like to keep it. I do wish it defaulted (when clicking the header) to members sorted by join date rather than to the generic member list (which does not have a tab for some reason), but since I'm neither a programmer nor paying the one you have, I'm not going to make the request. Also would like the Top Posters to link to a list sorted by post number, since I'm not making requests. ;->

When I want to search for someone, I click on any member's name, even my own. In the tree view above what opens, it says, Forum...Members..beachbumbabs and I just click on the member part and it brings up the member list alphabetically.
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
1BB
1BB
  • Threads: 18
February 26th, 2014 at 12:40:44 PM permalink
Quote: AcesAndEights

Originally I did the full list because I was curious where I ranked. Other people were curious, so I made it public. In no way am I encouraging people to post just for the sake of posting, or to incite a post-count-war. It should be considered for informational purposes only. If anyone is "inspired" by my list to artificially inflate their post count, then they have some serious problems.

Careful there. You meant the crotch in the tree outside your window, right? There are always going to be those who post for the sake of posting and all too often the post has nothing to do with the subject of the thread. Some are actually funny but many are repetitious. If you must post "that's what she said" for the umpteenth time, at least accompany it with a comment on the discussion.
Many people, especially ignorant people, want to punish you for speaking the truth. - Mahatma Ghandi
RaleighCraps
RaleighCraps
  • Threads: 79
February 26th, 2014 at 12:52:40 PM permalink
Since rating the quality of a post is at best subjective, it is improbable to think any kind of ranking can be developed.

So, I suggest a set of three tests be developed for each member to take.
Test One would be an IQ test
Test Two would be a Common Sense type of test.
Test Three would be a test of gambling knowledge (anything gaming related).

Each member would then receive a 3 digit rating, for Test One-Test Two-Test Three

So, someone rated 914 would be a High IQ brain, with little common sense, who has average gaming knowledge.

Or, the rating would be the percentile ranking against other forum members
In this case, a 271 rating would mean this person ranks in the bottom 20% in member IQ, is in the top 70% of member common sense, and must be a Big 6 Wheel player <G>.

That should drive away some current members, and most of any new, perspective members.
Always borrow money from a pessimist; They don't expect to get paid back ! Be yourself and speak your thoughts. Those who matter won't mind, and those that mind, don't matter!

• Jump to: