Thread Rating:

TwoFeathersATL
TwoFeathersATL
  • Threads: 37
August 17th, 2015 at 5:12:33 PM permalink
Quote: Greasyjohn

If I may add here, I believe we used to have a feature whereby you could make things bigger by expanding the screen with thumb and forefinger. This made it easier to make corrections to spelling or punctuation and such. (I have an i-phone.)

Now, if you want to see page 4, say, of a thread, you have to hope that you can touch I very small box,

I too have noticed that I lost some functionality. Most things on a tablet I can expand by touching with finger and thumb and expanding, at least on a tablet.

How did they take over my tablet? Now my tablet is theirs? I may shoot my tablet..
Youuuuuu MIGHT be a 'rascal' if.......(nevermind ;-)...2F
AcesAndEights
AcesAndEights
  • Threads: 67
August 17th, 2015 at 9:42:07 PM permalink
Quote: 1BB

Quote: AcesAndEights

I decided to put this member-post-ranking thingamajigger on a schedule, so it updates now every morning at 1am PST (4am EST).
WOV members by post count
DT members by post count
If JB or the Wizard ask me to remove this, for any reason, I will do so. If they don't like having the list available on philosophical grounds, I disagree but completely understand. If they don't want me scraping all 148 pages of member listings once per day, then I would suggest they add the feature to the website directly using an appropriate DB query :).

Also, because of a mistake I made in the crontab, the thing actually ran every minute between 1am and 2am PST (d'oh) this morning. While I doubt it caused any problems as this site gets a fair bit of traffic, I apologize for the extra load.

The link to WOV isn't working. It was yesterday. The link to DT is working.

Still isn't working. Isn't it curious that the link to DT is working just fine?

Not curious at all...the WoV website just underwent a very serious remodel, and as an outsider, my code was simply scraping the HTML of the website. The structure of the HTML has changed dramatically and the code no longer works. DT did not change at all, so that one is still working.

I'll take a look tomorrow to see if I can update it appropriately, but I don't have a lot of time to spend on this. The new site may even have this functionality built in, I will check that as well.

New site looks terrible, IMO. I understand the need to pay the bills with ads, but damn. It's a very big change, and if my past time in the web dev world taught me anything, it's that users HATE change. Routine is key.
"So drink gamble eat f***, because one day you will be dust." -ontariodealer
AcesAndEights
AcesAndEights
  • Threads: 67
August 18th, 2015 at 11:00:29 AM permalink

Not curious at all...the WoV website just underwent a very serious remodel, and as an outsider, my code was simply scraping the HTML of the website. The structure of the HTML has changed dramatically and the code no longer works. DT did not change at all, so that one is still working.

I'll take a look tomorrow to see if I can update it appropriately, but I don't have a lot of time to spend on this. The new site may even have this functionality built in, I will check that as well

Okay, fixed. Glad someone is getting some usage out of this.
"So drink gamble eat f***, because one day you will be dust." -ontariodealer
1BB
1BB
  • Threads: 18
August 18th, 2015 at 1:49:25 PM permalink

Okay, fixed. Glad someone is getting some usage out of this.

Thanks AcesAndEights! I missed it.
Many people, especially ignorant people, want to punish you for speaking the truth. - Mahatma Ghandi
teddys
teddys
  • Threads: 150
August 18th, 2015 at 2:42:53 PM permalink

Thanks AcesAndEights! I missed it.

I must know my ranking vis a vis other WoV posters. I've been PASSED by 1BB and am out of the top 20.

This will not stand!
"Dice, verily, are armed with goads and driving-hooks, deceiving and tormenting, causing grievous woe." -Rig Veda 10.34.4
1BB
1BB
August 18th, 2015 at 2:58:45 PM permalink
Quote: teddys

I must know my ranking vis a vis other WoV posters. I've been PASSED by 1BB and am out of the top 20.

This will not stand!

Cheer up, teddys. You've got me on threads started and you've definitely got me on blogs. With guys like us it's all about the quality. Right? Right? :-)
Many people, especially ignorant people, want to punish you for speaking the truth. - Mahatma Ghandi
Doc
Doc
  • Threads: 46
August 18th, 2015 at 3:49:38 PM permalink
The things I note regarding my "top 20" posting history vs. others are:

(1) I have finally (barely) passed buzzpaff in number of posts.
(2) I am still way behind his alter ego Buzzard.
(3) I am next-to-last among top-20 posters in number of threads started.
(4) Among top-20 posters, I am dead last in posts per day.
1BB
1BB
September 1st, 2015 at 4:14:42 AM permalink
As of this morning the top post per day figures are:

EvenBob - 9.74

AxelWolf - 7.79

beachbumbabs - 6.90

Buzzard - 6.56

Mission146- 6.09

Wouldn't it be fun to see how many words each of these posters have rather than posts alone? Some posts are long drawn out affairs while others are one or two word zingers. Obviously post count is only one aspect. Then there's the quality over quantity debate which will elicit a wide variety of opinions.

What a fun thread this is! Five of the top 20 posters are no longer posting. Buzzard comes in at number 10, AxiomOfChoice at 14, Buzzpaff at 17, aceofspades at 18 and Beethoven9th at 19.

Buzzpaff's last post was on October 11, 2012, an incredible three years ago, yet there he sits at number 17.

It's been a year this month since Axiom and Beethoven have posted and 10 months for Buzzard.

Aceofspades has been innactive since May.

Does anyone think any of there guys had value? Combined that is a lot of posts.
Hunterhill
Hunterhill
  • Threads: 50
September 1st, 2015 at 6:00:14 AM permalink
I think Axiom had alot of value. I was sorry to see him leave.
The mountain is tall but grass grows on top of the mountain.
1BB
1BB
September 1st, 2015 at 10:25:57 AM permalink
Quote: Hunterhill

I think Axiom had alot of value. I was sorry to see him leave.

I agree and he's not the only name in red who had value. Axiom tendered his permanent resignation, a policy that I have always disagreed with. If in charge I would deny him, aceofspades et al the option to self ban or self suspend. Guys, if you don't want to post then don't post. It's really that simple.

• Jump to: