Poll

No votes (0%)
2 votes (40%)
2 votes (40%)
1 vote (20%)

5 members have voted

racquet
racquet
Joined: Dec 31, 2014
  • Threads: 50
  • Posts: 411
August 23rd, 2020 at 6:53:17 AM permalink
I have a trip planned for the early part of September. I booked it at a point in time when prices were low, both at a downtown hotel and for flights.

I go to play blackjack and do some fine, relatively expensive eating. This trip would be the cheapest of any trip I have ever taken, and I come out once or twice a year, shopping for the best deals for months in advance. Downtown is, for me, the best choice, and I know the neighborhood well enough now to get the most out of the trip. I go by myself, so a variety of activities is not important.

All of that is not particularly relevant. I'm just interested in how DIFFERENT it is now versus a year ago, and the supposed danger inherent in being in a place frequented by a lot of different people from a lot of different places.

What's it like today?
Does everyone wear a mask, everywhere?
Are the "guidelines" really "commands?"
Are people generally paranoid, ambivalent, or unaware?
For example, are there still crowds around the pool in the lobby of the Golden Nugget?
Do you have to wear a mask while, at the same time, eating a plate of ribs at a local barbeque?
Are there still hookers? (Not for me, of course, but just as a gauge of the level of close contact that's tolerated).
On Fremont Street, are there still the usual bizarre street performers?
If you're a local, would you suggest to a relative or friend that they come on out?
If you've just come back from a trip, as a tourist... Would you go back? Was it what you expected? Better or worse?

And if you're an AP blackjack player, are the available low-limit games as available as before, and as enjoyable?
gordonm888
gordonm888
Joined: Feb 18, 2015
  • Threads: 46
  • Posts: 2888
August 23rd, 2020 at 8:48:24 AM permalink
Quote: racquet


Are there still hookers?



Yes, Virginia, there are still hookers. They live in the hearts of men everywhere.
So many better men, a few of them friends, are dead. And a thousand thousand slimy things live on, and so do I.
TDVegas
TDVegas
Joined: Oct 30, 2018
  • Threads: 0
  • Posts: 688
August 23rd, 2020 at 9:08:53 AM permalink
Itís a different Vegas right now. Quiet. Subdued.
Class level of people has downgraded...thatís been pretty much the theme all over social media.
Yes, masks required at all indoor locations.
You can remove it for eating.
Havenít been downtown since this hit.
Street performers still there AFAIK
Would tell a visitor to wait for visit. Itís not the same Vegas.
Repeat, itís not the same Vegas.

Many restaurants still not open or limited hours. Limited menus. Social distance guidelines making it a more quiet, subdued atmosphere all around. Iíve heard about lines at elevators, lines to get in pool area, lines to get in stores, etc.

Hookers are illegal. Try Pahrump. If one really wants a Vegas hooker...she can be found. A virus isnít going to stop an already illegal act. Money talks.

The only way I would get on a plane to Vegas is if it was strictly for gaming or I planned on excursions outside the city (Zion, Bryce, Grand Canyon). Then again, if it was just strictly gaming...just about every state has gaming (unless still closed). Fun factor here, IMO, has taken a fairly big hit. No shows, no concerts, no clubs, many shops still closed, mask enforcers out, etc.

~14 casinos still shut down.

Not sure how others handle it but wearing a mask all day indoors is a pain in the ass. Itís still 100+ outside, so if heat bothers you by going outdoors...youíll be wearing your mask a lot.
jjjoooggg
jjjoooggg
Joined: Jul 13, 2012
  • Threads: 34
  • Posts: 972
August 23rd, 2020 at 9:53:20 AM permalink
Interesting to hear what yall think. Hookers are illegal but they were there. I wouldnt risk going to jail. Not sure about now that clients arent traveling.
Besides study abroad. Born and lived in Tx my whole life.
DRich
DRich
Joined: Jul 6, 2012
  • Threads: 76
  • Posts: 7378
August 23rd, 2020 at 4:09:54 PM permalink
Quote: jjjoooggg

Interesting to hear what yall think. Hookers are illegal but they were there. I wouldnt risk going to jail. Not sure about now that clients arent traveling.



The "rumor" is that the price for hookers has come down. Too much competition and too few customers.
Order from chaos
MDawg
MDawg
Joined: Sep 27, 2018
  • Threads: 19
  • Posts: 2469
August 23rd, 2020 at 5:31:51 PM permalink
As far as Vegas before and after, I'll let y'all know before the end of the year. We were living it to a high degree the last days before coronavirus lockdown, so it'll be easy to make the comparison.

My Adventures threads already drew comparisons between the high roller's Vegas of a couple decades or so ago, and these days. Comps became a little scarcer, everything became more mechanized, and the world of nightclubs, live events and paying your own way started to take precedence over gambling. Now that nightclubs and events are dead, will be interesting to see if gambling starts taking the front seat again.
I tell you itís wonderful to be here, man. I donít give a damn who wins or loses. Itís just wonderful to be here with you people.
jpfromla
jpfromla
Joined: May 2, 2019
  • Threads: 0
  • Posts: 9
August 23rd, 2020 at 7:17:17 PM permalink
Iíve made two nine day trips from LA in June and August. There is a different vibe, but not necessarily bad. Some of my old routines are not available right now and that has forced me to do some different venues ( hello Montecristo Cigar Lounge) and that has been a plus. I play VP and prefer bar tops, so I missed those on this trip. Yes, masks are a PITA, but you adapt. The one downside Iíve seen, other than good room rates (and we are comped on those) the lack of good gaming or food promotions. Itís been much the same before Covid.
Keyser
Keyser
Joined: Apr 16, 2010
  • Threads: 35
  • Posts: 2051
August 23rd, 2020 at 7:24:09 PM permalink
Quote: racquet

I have a trip planned for the early part of September. I booked it at a point in time when prices were low, both at a downtown hotel and for flights.

I go to play blackjack and do some fine, relatively expensive eating. This trip would be the cheapest of any trip I have ever taken, and I come out once or twice a year, shopping for the best deals for months in advance. Downtown is, for me, the best choice, and I know the neighborhood well enough now to get the most out of the trip. I go by myself, so a variety of activities is not important.

All of that is not particularly relevant. I'm just interested in how DIFFERENT it is now versus a year ago, and the supposed danger inherent in being in a place frequented by a lot of different people from a lot of different places.

What's it like today?
Does everyone wear a mask, everywhere?
Are the "guidelines" really "commands?"
Are people generally paranoid, ambivalent, or unaware?
For example, are there still crowds around the pool in the lobby of the Golden Nugget?
Do you have to wear a mask while, at the same time, eating a plate of ribs at a local barbeque?
Are there still hookers? (Not for me, of course, but just as a gauge of the level of close contact that's tolerated).
On Fremont Street, are there still the usual bizarre street performers?
If you're a local, would you suggest to a relative or friend that they come on out?
If you've just come back from a trip, as a tourist... Would you go back? Was it what you expected? Better or worse?

And if you're an AP blackjack player, are the available low-limit games as available as before, and as enjoyable?



Las Vegas is now a ghetto with carnival games. It smells like piss and skunk. Gone are the days of glitz and glamour. Hoodies, dope, and dreadlocks now rule. It has really gone down hill.
Go to the beach instead.
jpfromla
jpfromla
Joined: May 2, 2019
  • Threads: 0
  • Posts: 9
August 23rd, 2020 at 7:25:59 PM permalink
Quote: racquet

I have a trip planned for the early part of September. I booked it at a point in time when prices were low, both at a downtown hotel and for flights.

I go to play blackjack and do some fine, relatively expensive eating. This trip would be the cheapest of any trip I have ever taken, and I come out once or twice a year, shopping for the best deals for months in advance. Downtown is, for me, the best choice, and I know the neighborhood well enough now to get the most out of the trip. I go by myself, so a variety of activities is not important.

All of that is not particularly relevant. I'm just interested in how DIFFERENT it is now versus a year ago, and the supposed danger inherent in being in a place frequented by a lot of different people from a lot of different places.

What's it like today? Day eight, not a winning trip, otherwise fine.
Does everyone wear a mask, everywhere? Yes
Are the "guidelines" really "commands?" Masks=commands
Are people generally paranoid, ambivalent, or unaware? Aware
For example, are there still crowds around the pool in the lobby of the Golden Nugget? The pool at the Flamingo had a waiting list ( due to only half May enter)
Do you have to wear a mask while, at the same time, eating a plate of ribs at a local barbeque? Masks can come off in restaurants or cigar bars
Are there still hookers? (Not for me, of course, but just as a gauge of the level of close contact that's tolerated).
On Fremont Street, are there still the usual bizarre street performers?
If you're a local, would you suggest to a relative or friend that they come on out?
If you've just come back from a trip, as a tourist... Would you go back? Was it what you expected? Better or worse? Weíll go back in October.

And if you're an AP blackjack player, are the available low-limit games as available as before, and as enjoyable?



Hope that helps...

  • Jump to: