JohnnyQ
JohnnyQ
Joined: Nov 3, 2009
  • Threads: 213
  • Posts: 3176
October 18th, 2015 at 3:01:30 PM permalink
Saw this article today. 5 Biggest Financial Flops in Las Vegas.

I knew one of them for sure, and may have been able to guess a second one. These are specific projects or properties, so while CET is mentioned, it isn't really in this Category.


5) Harmon Tower
4) Las Vegas Plaza
3) Boyd's Echelon Place
2) Fountainbleau
1) Cosmopolitan
All around me are familiar faces / Worn out places, worn out faces / Bright and early for their daily races / Going nowhere, going nowhere - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdCLnwIkkps
GWAE
GWAE
Joined: Sep 20, 2013
  • Threads: 93
  • Posts: 9854
October 18th, 2015 at 3:53:30 PM permalink
I guessed 3 of them, surprised the wheel wasn't on it but I guess that doesn't compare in loss to some of these.
Expect the worst and you will never be disappointed. I AM NOT PART OF GWAE RADIO SHOW
zoobrew
zoobrew
Joined: Jan 12, 2015
  • Threads: 13
  • Posts: 309
October 18th, 2015 at 3:59:45 PM permalink
Has the monorail become more successful?

If they inflation adjusted money, I wonder if there would be any projects from the 50s or 60s?
GWAE
GWAE
Joined: Sep 20, 2013
  • Threads: 93
  • Posts: 9854
October 18th, 2015 at 4:04:00 PM permalink
Quote: zoobrew

Has the monorail become more successful?

If they inflation adjusted money, I wonder if there would be any projects from the 50s or 60s?



I am sure it is losing money but I will say when we were there last month we took it about 15 times and every time there were others in the car with us. No where near enough to cover the costs but at least it wasn't empty, and this was mid week.
Expect the worst and you will never be disappointed. I AM NOT PART OF GWAE RADIO SHOW
JohnnyQ
JohnnyQ
Joined: Nov 3, 2009
  • Threads: 213
  • Posts: 3176
October 18th, 2015 at 6:34:19 PM permalink
Quote: zoobrew

Has the monorail become more successful?

Good point. Maybe they overlooked that one.

IF you were in charge and could magically go back in time and do the Monorail over again, wouldn't it make a lot more sense to put it right SMACK down the middle of Las Vegas Blvd ?
All around me are familiar faces / Worn out places, worn out faces / Bright and early for their daily races / Going nowhere, going nowhere - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdCLnwIkkps
DeMango
DeMango
Joined: Feb 2, 2010
  • Threads: 26
  • Posts: 2502
October 19th, 2015 at 1:58:15 AM permalink
Quote: JohnnyQ

IF you were in charge and could magically go back in time and do the Monorail over again, wouldn't it make a lot more sense to put it right SMACK down the middle of Las Vegas Blvd ?



Why stop there? Extend in both directions, to downtown and the airport!
When a rock is thrown into a pack of dogs, the one that yells the loudest is the one who got hit.
GWAE
GWAE
Joined: Sep 20, 2013
  • Threads: 93
  • Posts: 9854
October 19th, 2015 at 4:16:17 AM permalink
Quote: DeMango

Why stop there? Extend in both directions, to downtown and the airport!



If they ever did that then I can see it being a huge success. I assume the reason they never did has something to do with the taxi union.
Expect the worst and you will never be disappointed. I AM NOT PART OF GWAE RADIO SHOW
HeyMrDJ
HeyMrDJ
Joined: May 29, 2015
  • Threads: 9
  • Posts: 101
October 19th, 2015 at 6:55:11 AM permalink
Quote: GWAE

If they ever did that then I can see it being a huge success. I assume the reason they never did has something to do with the taxi union.



how much clout does the union really have? surely it would benefit all the casinos, and I assume they are bigger players than the taxi mob.
Guess who peed in my Cheerios? Romes did...
TwoFeathersATL
TwoFeathersATL
Joined: May 22, 2013
  • Threads: 37
  • Posts: 3616
October 19th, 2015 at 7:13:25 AM permalink
Quote: HeyMrDJ

how much clout does the union really have? surely it would benefit all the casinos, and I assume they are bigger players than the taxi mob.



This assumes, of course, that they aren't the same mob.
Youuuuuu MIGHT be a 'rascal' if.......(nevermind ;-)...2F
zoobrew
zoobrew
Joined: Jan 12, 2015
  • Threads: 13
  • Posts: 309
October 19th, 2015 at 7:40:07 AM permalink
Quote: HeyMrDJ

how much clout does the union really have? surely it would benefit all the casinos, and I assume they are bigger players than the taxi mob.


It may not benefit the casino owners as much as you think. Any business owner will tell you that their business suffers when major road construction happens in front of their business. As a monorail down the center of the strip would have been a long term project, how much suffering would they endure and how much would Wall Street, who cares mostly only about short term results, punish their stocks for lower revenue. Then there is part of the business model where the casinos try to be islands of captive gamblers/guest and easy, cheap?, transportation up and down the strip could have unintended results for some casinos.

  • Jump to: