reno
reno
  • Threads: 124
March 13th, 2014 at 3:50:03 PM permalink
As seen on Lifestyles of the Rich & Famous: if you wanted to fly First Class from LAX to JFK on a commercial flight in the 1980s without having to share the aircraft with the unwashed peasants in Economy Class, you flew MGM Grand Air. The exclusive airline, whose Los Angeles-to-New York tickets cost $1,400, was renowned for shuttling movie stars, rock singers and Hollywood executives. MGM Grand Air passengers were treated to a stand-up bar and lounge, leather swivel chairs, sleeper seats and queen-size beds, private "stateroom conference areas," and gourmet food prepared on board and served on fine china.

But MGM Grand Air lost money for most of its existence, and it stopped service in 1995.

Anyone on this forum ever fly it?

Was it ahead of its time? Would the airline have more passengers in 2014 than in 1994?

beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 100
March 13th, 2014 at 8:30:58 PM permalink
I didn't fly them. I worked them many times. They were reasonably professional, but they did have lower hiring standards than most air carriers, and they had a few bonehead pilots. A couple times, they were pretty insistent on getting priority due to who they had in the back. However, that didn't usually create a priority situation for us, so we were sometimes at odds. ;)
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
Tomspur
Tomspur
  • Threads: 28
March 13th, 2014 at 8:59:52 PM permalink
Quote: beachbumbabs

I didn't fly them. I worked them many times. They were reasonably professional, but they did have lower hiring standards than most air carriers, and they had a few bonehead pilots. A couple times, they were pretty insistent on getting priority due to who they had in the back. However, that didn't usually create a priority situation for us, so we were sometimes at odds. ;)

That is a nice way of saying....."we told the pilots to p#@s off"!!!
“There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man.” - Winston Churchill
  • Jump to: