Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
April 15th, 2011 at 6:49:37 AM permalink
Quote: Wizard

That was an Onion article. The purpose was to help the language, because it was too hard to pronounce anything with so hardly any vowels.

I admit I didn't recall the exact theme, but I like my version better :P

I vaguely recall there was some mention about shipping consonants to Ethiopia as well...
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
AlanRRT
AlanRRT
  • Threads: 1
July 18th, 2011 at 12:41:22 PM permalink
Well, it happened. Fitzgeralds recently installed an Alphabetic Roulette game. There are 25 spots, Y and Z are combined in one spot. Straight up pays 23 to 1, so my math challenged calculations give this a 4% house edge. Not the greatest game, but not the worst either, and better than standard double 0 roulette. I'll be staying at Fitzgeralds next month and will post my observations if someone doesn't beat me to it.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1382
July 18th, 2011 at 1:10:22 PM permalink
Quote: AlanRRT

Well, it happened. Fitzgeralds recently installed an Alphabetic Roulette game...

Really?! I'll be sure to wear by Alphabetic Roulette t-shirt when I try it out, which they gave me at the gaming show. Just to be clear, we're talking the Fitz in Vegas right? I think there is another in Tunica, not to mention the one that went out of business in Reno.
It's not whether you win or lose; it's whether or not you had a good bet.
avargov
avargov
  • Threads: 16
July 18th, 2011 at 1:44:30 PM permalink
Quote: Doc

Wait a sec ... speaking of funny, isn't that the funny name of that road and town off I-15 down near Baker, CA? Something bizarre like that anyway. :P

Zzyzx rd. I think the town is spelled Zuzeck. I go by there a couple of times a week. Will check to be sure.
Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure that you are not, in fact, just surrounded by assholes." ~ William Gibson
AlanRRT
AlanRRT
July 18th, 2011 at 4:18:17 PM permalink
Yes, I should have made that clear, it's Fitzgeralds in Las Vegas. They announced the new game on their facebook page.
AlanRRT
AlanRRT
July 18th, 2011 at 4:42:26 PM permalink
The "town" is also called Zzyzyx. Curtis Howe Springer opened a health spa there in 1944, which was closed down by the government in 1974 because Springer was using government land that he didn't own. Springer claimed to be a medical doctor and a Methodist minister, but he was neither. The buildings are still there, and used by USC for a desert studies center.
gofaster87
gofaster87
  • Threads: 3
July 18th, 2011 at 4:49:03 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1382
August 7th, 2011 at 8:41:09 PM permalink
I played four new games downtown this afternoon: Zero, Rupert's Island, Burn Blackjack, and of course Alphabetic Roulette. This was one of the easiest games I have ever analyzed so cranked it out as soon as I got home. With that introduction, please check out my new page on Alphabetic Roulette.

As my loyal guinea pigs, please let me know if you have any corrections, suggestions, questions, ... you know the drill. Thanks.
It's not whether you win or lose; it's whether or not you had a good bet.
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 432
August 7th, 2011 at 8:49:43 PM permalink

I played four new games downtown this afternoon: Zero, Rupert's Island, Burn Blackjack, and of course Alphabetic Roulette.

It won't be there 3 months. People have no connection to letters, not the way
they do to numbers. Personally, as someone who plays roulette exclusively, I find the
game trite and somewhat insulting.
"It's not enough to succeed, your friends must fail." Gore Vidal
Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
August 7th, 2011 at 8:55:03 PM permalink

As my loyal guinea pigs, please let me know if you have any corrections, suggestions, questions, ... you know the drill. Thanks.

I would suggest to call the letters letters rather than numbers.

And did you wear your Alphabetic Roulette T-shirt?
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal

• Jump to: