DJTeddyBear
DJTeddyBear
Joined: Nov 2, 2009
  • Threads: 172
  • Posts: 10017
July 13th, 2018 at 3:22:08 AM permalink
Quote: dogqck

Besides as a micro entity, cost Teddy $70 to file PPA. Not exactly a fortune.

PPA? You mean a Provisional Patent Application?

Sure, they’re cheap, but worthless if not followed up by an expensive patent within 1 year. And since the patent will probably never be issued, what’s the point?
Superstitions are silly, childish, irrational rituals, born out of fear of the unknown. But how much does it cost to knock on wood? 😁 Note that the same could be said for Religion. I.E. Religion is nothing more than organized superstition. 🤗
SM777
SM777
Joined: Apr 8, 2016
  • Threads: 5
  • Posts: 615
July 13th, 2018 at 5:50:46 AM permalink
Quote: dogqck

I just cant accept the 95% don't get 20 placements. Roger and Elliot don't buy that many losers. On SHFL site 11 BJ side bets and pretty sure 6 have over 20 placements. 11 variant BJ and 5 for sure have 20. 14 specialty games with 8-9 getting placements. 4 poker games at least 2 have placements. I doubt SHFL has 400 losers they tried to place.
Besides as a micro entity, cost Teddy $70 to file PPA. Not exactly a fortune.



It's likely higher than 95%. I was being generous.

A majority get 1 or 2 placements, then disappear. They don't buy all of them, most are created internally. I'm not counting BJ sidebets.
dogqck
dogqck
Joined: Jun 22, 2018
  • Threads: 1
  • Posts: 94
July 13th, 2018 at 8:22:47 AM permalink
Quote: DJTeddyBear

PPA? You mean a Provisional Patent Application?

Sure, they’re cheap, but worthless if not followed up by an expensive patent within 1 year. And since the patent will probably never be issued, what’s the point?




Then what do you expect to show a potential distributor like SHFL ?
darkoz
darkoz
Joined: Dec 22, 2009
  • Threads: 201
  • Posts: 4058
July 13th, 2018 at 8:27:22 AM permalink
Quote: dogqck

Then what do you expect to show a potential distributor like SHFL ?



I have to agree

Its cheap so can't hurt

And protects you for 12 months while you shop it around

Certainly some small protection is better than none at all
ahiromu
ahiromu
Joined: Jan 15, 2010
  • Threads: 112
  • Posts: 2097
July 13th, 2018 at 1:18:56 PM permalink
Quote: dogqck

" The method of claim 1 wherein the method is executed on physical gaming table with physical playing cards provided from a physically randomized set of physical playing cards and the wager is committed by placement of a physical element on a wagering wager at the player position in an area on the gaming table identified for receiving committed wagers, and the specific predetermined value is between 7 and 11. "

Claim 3 of this just issued patent. Anybody care to comment ?

United States Patent Application 20180182211
Kind Code A1
Stream; Matthew Henry June 28, 2018


RAPID LOW TOTAL-CARD BLACKJACK-TYPE GAME



That's a publication, not a patent. If the independent claim recites performing it on an electronic device you may have 112 2nd and 4th issues. I don't feel comfortable getting more specific.

Once again, those are not issued claims unless you accidentally wrote the wrong number.
Its - Possessive; It's - "It is" / "It has"; There - Location; Their - Possessive; They're - "They are"
dogqck
dogqck
Joined: Jun 22, 2018
  • Threads: 1
  • Posts: 94
Thanks for this post from:
MrCasinoGames
July 13th, 2018 at 1:37:40 PM permalink
I am sure not suggesting anyone take out a second mortgage to finance a table game or side bet. But some will do for sure. May find one or two of them at Raving games. I mention SHFL only because they are definitely the 800 lb. Gorilla in the room. I know Blackjack Switch got a dozen or more ( maybe the magic 20 referred to earlier ) in Colorado That's felt. great overhead signange, rack cards, dealer training, etc. On a game that ultimately failed. Contrast with Mr. Casino's Games struggle to get placement in USA brick and mortars. He is a prolific game inventor.
Then there is Brent Weiss and his valiant attempts to gain traction.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
Joined: Oct 14, 2009
  • Threads: 1164
  • Posts: 19505
Thanks for this post from:
MrCasinoGames
July 13th, 2018 at 2:46:56 PM permalink
I would start out by trademarking the name and doing a provisional patent. The provisional should try to connect it to physical things any way it can, like a computer or gaming machine. Throw every claim you think of in the first application. The patent office will disallow lots of them on the first review. You will probably never get a patent but can fight it through the "pending" stage for years. Still, even with a patent, if the game gets big, there is little to stop anyone from changing the name, adding a side bet, and running with it. You'd pay enormous legal fees to fight it and would probably lose. It has become a game where you want the game to get big enough to make money but not too big to get copied.

My very short advice is I would just stay out of this arena, unless you have special connections to get your games on the floor. If you must invent games, stick to electronic ones.
It's not whether you win or lose; it's whether or not you had a good bet.
MrCasinoGames
MrCasinoGames
Joined: Sep 13, 2010
  • Threads: 123
  • Posts: 1112
July 14th, 2018 at 12:19:56 AM permalink
Quote: Wizard

I would start out by trademarking the name and doing a provisional patent. The provisional should try to connect it to physical things any way it can, like a computer or gaming machine. Throw every claim you think of in the first application. The patent office will disallow lots of them on the first review. You will probably never get a patent but can fight it through the "pending" stage for years. Still, even with a patent, if the game gets big, there is little to stop anyone from changing the name, adding a side bet, and running with it. You'd pay enormous legal fees to fight it and would probably lose. It has become a game where you want the game to get big enough to make money but not too big to get copied.

My very short advice is I would just stay out of this arena, unless you have special connections to get your games on the floor. If you must invent games, stick to electronic ones.


Great Advice, Wizard.
Stephen Au-Yeung (Casino Hold'em®) NewTableGames.com
dogqck
dogqck
Joined: Jun 22, 2018
  • Threads: 1
  • Posts: 94
July 14th, 2018 at 12:43:56 PM permalink
Aren't most table games available and increasing their presence in casino's in an electronic form. Bubble craps, electronic roulette, stadium blackjack, etc.
darkoz
darkoz
Joined: Dec 22, 2009
  • Threads: 201
  • Posts: 4058
July 14th, 2018 at 1:13:51 PM permalink
Quote: dogqck

Aren't most table games available and increasing their presence in casino's in an electronic form. Bubble craps, electronic roulette, stadium blackjack, etc.



There is always a feeling of history and romance and daresay conservatism in any field changing its delivery status

Just for example:

Filmmakers want that theatrical release - straight to video is a downgrade

For years shooting on film was professional. Shooting video or smaller film guage was looked down upon

Table game developers have the same opinion of what their games should have as respectful representation

  • Jump to: