RealizeGaming
RealizeGaming
  • Threads: 61
December 22nd, 2015 at 7:36:03 AM permalink
I'm not overly familiar with slot games, but I have some questions that I'd like to ask some of the knowledgeable people in the forums.

I have about three slot concepts that I'm thinking about getting patents for sometime soon and I'm confident that these ideas are novel ideas. However, when thinking about slot game creation in general, are there a number of slot game concepts that are now considered common knowledge or unprotected by a patent? For example, almost every slot game has a number of paylines, three symbols on a payline is considered a win, scatter pays, and free games with a bonus of some sort. Everyone seems to be using these ideas in their slot games, but I find it hard to believe that some of those concepts mentioned above are not patented ideas. Sometimes I see slot games that have all the same concepts of other slot games, but the only difference is the symbols or theme of the game, sound, graphics, etc. Is there an open market on slot game creation where anyone can do whatever they want? Any help is greatly appreciated.
MathExtremist
MathExtremist
  • Threads: 88
December 22nd, 2015 at 12:10:35 PM permalink
For starters, look at the patents that have already been filed. All of the major slot vendors have large patent portfolios. Either Google Patents or the USPTO site directly.

I wouldn't invest in any slot game IP filings without doing a thorough prior art search first.

To your other question, look at the active patent litigations in the slot machine space.
"In my own case, when it seemed to me after a long illness that death was close at hand, I found no little solace in playing constantly at dice." -- Girolamo Cardano, 1563
RealizeGaming
RealizeGaming
December 22nd, 2015 at 4:09:06 PM permalink
I've been reading slot IP and so far I'm in good shape as nothing has overlapped with my idea. My next step is to have my attorney do another check to make sure I didn't miss anything.

Where is the best place to read the patent litigations?
ahiromu
ahiromu
  • Threads: 112
December 22nd, 2015 at 4:31:53 PM permalink
Do you have experience in reading and interpreting claim language and/or a legal background? If not, especially in a field like gaming, with all due respect, you probably have no idea if your idea has already been done. Gaming is a mess and claim language is... a different language.

As you mentioned, talk with an attorney. You can file a provisional which gives you a year to figure out if it's worth the investment.

Attorneys tend to use PAIR or some proprietary software, but I'm not sure you can just look into any prosecution history? Litigation = court/judge/SUPER expensive/etc. We're talking patent prosecution here.
Its - Possessive; It's - "It is" / "It has"; There - Location; Their - Possessive; They're - "They are"
MathExtremist
MathExtremist
  • Threads: 88
December 22nd, 2015 at 11:57:07 PM permalink
Patent litigation search: https://search.rpxcorp.com/
Patent prosecution history: http://portal.uspto.gov/pair/PublicPair

Happy reading!
"In my own case, when it seemed to me after a long illness that death was close at hand, I found no little solace in playing constantly at dice." -- Girolamo Cardano, 1563
RealizeGaming
RealizeGaming
December 23rd, 2015 at 4:37:01 AM permalink
Quote: ahiromu

Do you have experience in reading and interpreting claim language and/or a legal background? If not, especially in a field like gaming, with all due respect, you probably have no idea if your idea has already been done. Gaming is a mess and claim language is... a different language.

As you mentioned, talk with an attorney. You can file a provisional which gives you a year to figure out if it's worth the investment.

Attorneys tend to use PAIR or some proprietary software, but I'm not sure you can just look into any prosecution history? Litigation = court/judge/SUPER expensive/etc. We're talking patent prosecution here.

I'm more familiar with claim language when it comes to video poker. I'll let my patent attorney do the work going forward, but at first check, things look positive right now.
RealizeGaming
RealizeGaming
December 23rd, 2015 at 4:37:29 AM permalink
Quote: MathExtremist

Patent litigation search: https://search.rpxcorp.com/
Patent prosecution history: http://portal.uspto.gov/pair/PublicPair

Happy reading!

Thanks!
  • Jump to: