FleaStiff
FleaStiff
  • Threads: 265
November 16th, 2013 at 5:45:05 AM permalink
Today's Slashdot poll:

In an arcade with only the following games ...
I'd play pinball
I'd play Dragon's Lair
I'd play the 1983 Star Wars
I'd play Yie Ar Kung Fu
I'd play Defender
I'd play Sea Wolf
I'd play Q*bert
I'd play Thirst for Blood

All I've even HEARD of is pinball. I imagine the average twelve year old knows them ALL.
wudged
wudged
  • Threads: 2
November 16th, 2013 at 5:50:53 AM permalink
I don't recognize all of them but Defender, Q*Bert, and (obviously) Star Wars are from the 80s.
KeyserSoze
KeyserSoze
  • Threads: 13
November 16th, 2013 at 6:23:58 AM permalink
I played lots of Defender back in the day.

Of course, me and my friends turned it into a gambling game, then later a drinking game.
Talent hits a target no one else can hit; genius hits a target no one else can see.
Dween
Dween
  • Threads: 66
November 16th, 2013 at 6:38:10 AM permalink
I've never heard of Thirst for Blood... after a bit of Googling, it seems that it's an Android game. Quite out of place on the poll, unless it's the vote that says, "I am a young person who has no idea what these other games are, leave me alone with my tablet."

And to put a generic choice of "pinball" on the poll? Why not just lump all of the other games into one choice too? The variety of pinball machines over the decades is just as diverse as stand up video arcade games. Shame, shame.

This Youtube video is a full video of the entire Dragon's Lair laser disc. Just over 22 minutes of animation made up every possible scenario in the game.

If one is interested in emulating their favorite arcade games, I recommend you check out MAME, the Multi Arcade Machine Emulator.
-Dween!
megapixels
megapixels
  • Threads: 8
November 16th, 2013 at 6:38:30 AM permalink
Those are mostly from the 80's. I don't think a twelve year old would have a clue. Here's how I would rank them, throwing out "Thirst for Blood" as I don't know what that is:

1. Yie Ar Kung Fu
2. Dragon's Lair
3. 1983 Star Wars
4. Q*bert
5. Defender
6. pinball (any)
7. Sea Wolf

xiè xiè!
Beethoven9th
Beethoven9th
  • Threads: 75
November 16th, 2013 at 9:58:32 AM permalink
Quote: FleaStiff

I imagine the average twelve year old knows them ALL.

Wrong. These games fell out of fashion 15 years before the 12-year-olds of today were born. For that matter, I doubt the average 12-year-old has even been to an arcade before. (You can barely find them these days)
Fighting BS one post at a time!
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
  • Threads: 240
November 16th, 2013 at 10:01:11 AM permalink
If it is the "Star Wars" I am thinking about they actually have a good following and collector value, most so with the sit-down models.
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
Perdition
Perdition
  • Threads: 36
November 16th, 2013 at 10:06:16 AM permalink
Dragons Lair was an amazing game for its time. Also was a follow up game called Space Ace which followed the same format. The only issue was it was 1 dollar a play so it was more of a luxury. The other 80s games consumed many of my quarters as well.

I remember Nintendo Game Stations where you could play Super Mario Bros for up to 5 mins at a quarter each. I think that was a selling point of the NES that most people don't talk about. It seemed a great value even at 100 dollars to be able to play the games for as long as you wanted to.
Beethoven9th
Beethoven9th
November 16th, 2013 at 10:29:06 AM permalink
Quote: Perdition

Dragons Lair was an amazing game for its time. Also was a follow up game called Space Ace which followed the same format. The only issue was it was 1 dollar a play so it was more of a luxury.

You had to pay a dollar to play it? That sucks. I never saw it for more than $0.50.
Sabretom2
Sabretom2
  • Threads: 11
November 16th, 2013 at 11:09:41 AM permalink
You forgot Asteroids, the stand up version.
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
  • Threads: 265
November 16th, 2013 at 11:24:54 AM permalink
Quote: Beethoven9th

For that matter, I doubt the average 12-year-old has even been to an arcade before. (You can barely find them these days)

Vegas. Dave & Busters chain in Florida. Cruiseships. Many malls.
Don't you think the MP in Multiple Player...makes such arcades "virtual" now? I know that much ballyhooed upscale arcade in Seattle through in the towel years ago but I don't know if the entire industry died.
Beethoven9th
Beethoven9th
November 16th, 2013 at 11:36:35 AM permalink
Most malls got rid of arcades years ago. Arcades may not be completely dead, but they've been on life support for 20+ years now. Mostly because of the (better, cheaper) alternatives.

For example, today I can download FREE games on my smartphone...and they're 10x better than anything you'll find in an arcade.
ThatDonGuy
ThatDonGuy
  • Threads: 117
November 16th, 2013 at 11:38:44 AM permalink
Quote: FleaStiff

All I've even HEARD of is pinball. I imagine the average twelve year old knows them ALL.

How old are you? I'm in my early 50s, and have not only heard of all of them except Thirst for Blood and Yie Ar Kung Fu, but have played them in arcades as well.

As for the average 12-year-old knowing them, I doubt the average father of a 12-year-old has. Dragon's Lair had a limited shelf life (it was a rather simplistic game, with a joystick and a button as its controls; what made it appealing was its graphics, since they were video pulled from a laserdisc, in a day when computer graphics were still very primitive). In fact, I wonder how many 12-year-olds know what a pinball machine is.
wroberson
wroberson
  • Threads: 19
November 16th, 2013 at 11:53:56 AM permalink
I would play pinball defender and q Bert.

The pinball hall of fame is near the strip at

1610 E Tropicana. It's the last stop before I hit the airport.

Pinball museum.org

And if you happen to be in Chicago, there's galloping ghost arcade in brookfield' il. Not too far from the zoo.

Gallopinghostarcade.com
Buffering...
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
  • Threads: 240
November 16th, 2013 at 12:24:38 PM permalink
Quote: Beethoven9th

Most malls got rid of arcades years ago. Arcades may not be completely dead, but they've been on life support for 20+ years now. Mostly because of the (better, cheaper) alternatives.

For example, today I can download FREE games on my smartphone...and they're 10x better than anything you'll find in an arcade.

Arcades were *the* thing at malls 1980-late 1980s. We used to beg our parents to even go to them. Later we could go ourselves. My first semester at community college I still went between classes at first and mid afternoon there were always a few what looked like "businessmen" killing time at their lunch, or hiding from their bosses I guess.

What made 1980s arcades was the games were easy to learn but hard to master, so you kept coming back. The games had to be easy to learn because the machines had such limited memory. As memory became available this simple formula was lost.
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
  • Jump to: