midwestgb
midwestgb
  • Threads: 12
December 19th, 2010 at 7:58:53 PM permalink
I have been playing VP seriously for about a year. During that time, I've migrated to multi-hand and now far prefer it to the single-hand version. Am looking for insights/feedback as to this approach. Here are the particulars:

- I play the following games, in this sequence: 25-15-9 DW, then switching after usually 200 hands dealt to 9-5 DDB. I alternatively also play 8-5 DDB. I play the same machine. I play DW as follows: I double my bet amount when I fail to see a deuce for three consecutive hands on the bottom hand. I then return to my flat amount after seeing a deuce in that line and winning a hand. My bet amount in the DW segment of play is minimum coinage, i.e. $1.25 for the 5 hands played. I increase if the deueces are hitting and I am ahead, i.e. I play into a positive trend.

- I switch to DDB after approximately 200 hands played in DW, unless I am up by 25%, then I switch at that point.

- With DDB, I typically play 3 hands (vs. the 5 hand game). I alternate 9 coins vs 15 (max) coins. I make these movements approximately every 5 plays. I vary this sequencing if I am ahead with the 9 coin play and then I may switch back to max/15 coins sooner. Obviously, I am trying to maximize max coin play at this point.

Here is the loose reasoning for the above approach: Catching a 'hit' at DDB (i.e. 4/kind, straight flush or Royal Flush) is roughly a 400 to 1 proposition. Over 400 plays, one possesses approximately a 2/3 chance of incurring the 'hit' one is looking for. The problem with this approach is pretty obvious - it does not incorporate max coinage so it gives away the Royal Flush bonus until one reaches about 200 hands. As noted, at that point I am playing max coins roughly half the time, sometimes more frequently. BTW, after the 400 hands are played, I switch to max coins for each play.

I have found my sessions may involve a total $200 investment about 30% or so of the time. I win about 80% of the sessions with the $200 bankroll mentioned.
Normally, I will virtually always gain a 'hit' during the play of my $200 bankroll. As noted, about 20% of the time this does not bring me back to even. However, I will continue playing if the 'hit' has come after more than 400 hands have been played, and I then often see a second 'hit' that takes me into positive territory for the overall session.

I realize it is unconventional in several ways, but I look forward to readers' impressions.
dm
dm
  • Threads: 14
December 20th, 2010 at 9:59:41 AM permalink
It doesn't hurt your chances to play this way.
rdw4potus
rdw4potus
  • Threads: 80
December 20th, 2010 at 10:30:44 AM permalink
Quote: dm

It doesn't hurt your chances to play this way.

But the payouts will be sub-optimal on all of the hands played at less than the max bet - no royal bonus.
"So as the clock ticked and the day passed, opportunity met preparation, and luck happened." - Maurice Clarett
mkl654321
mkl654321
  • Threads: 65
December 20th, 2010 at 12:17:19 PM permalink
The paytables you are playing against return only 98% or less. There is no way you can combine bets that are negative expectation to achieve a positive result.

No, there's really no way. Even if you double your bets on Tuesday. Even if you bet 1.5 times the square of your daughter's age every time a deuce and a Jack come up. Even if you drop back to betting $0.05 whenever you get a four of a kind.

No, it can't be done. You can't combine your bets in any meaningful way to produce an advantage. You also can't increase your bets to help you achieve that goal.

No, really, it won't work. You don't believe me. I realize that. Nevertheless, it won't work. No. It won't. Because it can't.

And by the way, any time you play at less than maximum coin, you add another 2% to the house advantage.

It won't work. It can't be done. Sorry.
The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one. The happiness of credulity is a cheap and dangerous quality.---George Bernard Shaw
  • Jump to: