tuatara6
tuatara6
  • Threads: 2
November 11th, 2018 at 3:17:30 AM permalink
I've noticed that some of the strategies that are generated by the strategy maker on the wizard's site and the ones generated by other software dont totally line up.

For example, on 100.64% 1-1-2-3-5-7-20-50-100-200-800 joker poker both fvp and vpfw list a wild card with a single king as taking priority over 35-9J straight flush draw with one gap. However, when I ran the game through this site's calculator it not only does it place the straight flush draw as higher than the king, but it even separates out the 46-8T draws as higher and leaves the 35 and 9J draws as lower priority than the king.

There are numerous other discrepancies like this in this and other games that I've noticed. I know the wizard's calculator uses a different methodology to these other programs, I remember from one of his faqs he states that his program computes the highest return strategy possible with no regard to how many exceptions it creates. Is this the source of the discrepancies? Does this mean either the wizard or these other programs' strategies are less accurate? Since I inontend to use the exceptions list generated by his calculator to learn the penalty card plays for some of these games, would it be better for me to just go with strategy generated by his strategy maker?
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1493
November 11th, 2018 at 6:56:54 AM permalink
The strategies made by my strategy maker I don't claim to be perfect. However, I think the cost of errors is quite low.
"For with much wisdom comes much sorrow." -- Ecclesiastes 1:18 (NIV)
tuatara6
tuatara6
  • Threads: 2
November 11th, 2018 at 7:18:47 AM permalink
Thanks for the reply, that's good to know. In that case would you suggest I follow the other strategies? And do you think the exceptions list generated by your strategy maker would still be usable in combination with strategies generated elsewhere?

Edit: Or rather to clarify, if I intend to use the exceptions list generated with your strategy maker, do you think it would be better for me to use the strategy generated by your strategy maker over the others?
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1493
November 13th, 2018 at 12:30:43 PM permalink
Quote: tuatara6

Or rather to clarify, if I intend to use the exceptions list generated with your strategy maker, do you think it would be better for me to use the strategy generated by your strategy maker over the others?

I honestly believe our strategy maker is the best out there.
"For with much wisdom comes much sorrow." -- Ecclesiastes 1:18 (NIV)
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 86
November 13th, 2018 at 12:48:01 PM permalink
Quote: tuatara6

Edit: Or rather to clarify, if I intend to use the exceptions list generated with your strategy maker, do you think it would be better for me to use the strategy generated by your strategy maker over the others?

Use the strategy that is easiest for you to remember perfectly. The cost in EV of making a mistake will be more than what is lost by using the non-optimal strategy.
At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.
  • Jump to: