DRich
DRich
Joined: Jul 6, 2012
  • Threads: 69
  • Posts: 5183
October 31st, 2019 at 7:03:08 AM permalink
As many others on here I have met Bob Dancer and know his real name which I would never disclose. I believe most of his claims and respect him for the time and effort he has put into his craft.
Living longer does not always infer +EV
bobbartop
bobbartop
Joined: Mar 15, 2016
  • Threads: 105
  • Posts: 2169
October 31st, 2019 at 9:33:41 AM permalink
Quote: DRich

As many others on here I have met Bob Dancer and know his real name which I would never disclose. I believe most of his claims and respect him for the time and effort he has put into his craft.




In a way this is an apple and oranges kinda thing. Look at the poker greats who have helped so many people with their game by writing books and sharing their secrets of success. Nobody gets mad at them, they have helped the game. Nobody gets mad at Doyle Brunson for writing Super Systems. But unfortunately, video poker is kinda different and many people take the attitude that Bob Dancer has "caused" the decline of our game. They blame him for all the downgrades. Bob Dancer is every bit as intelligent as the best poker players, and he IS the star of video poker, yet he is the target of many players' gripes. I think that is unfair, but kinda inevitable. And how many players say they wish Bob Dancer would not write books, but that's AFTER they themselves have benefitted from his books. Bob is darned if he does and darned if he doesn't. And ironic, he has hurt his own ability to play in different casinos. No casino no-mails Doyle Brunson. Apples and oranges, kinda. But give Bob credit, he has turned out great products and information, and I'm sure worked very hard at the game. And I think some of his dumb jokes are funny.
"...The Queen of Warmongers, embodiment of corruption, and personification of the rot that has sickened the Democratic Party for so long..."
MaxPen
MaxPen
Joined: Feb 4, 2015
  • Threads: 13
  • Posts: 3531
Thanks for this post from:
odiousgambit
October 31st, 2019 at 11:00:42 AM permalink
Quote: bobbartop

In a way this is an apple and oranges kinda thing. Look at the poker greats who have helped so many people with their game by writing books and sharing their secrets of success. Nobody gets mad at them, they have helped the game. Nobody gets mad at Doyle Brunson for writing Super Systems. But unfortunately, video poker is kinda different and many people take the attitude that Bob Dancer has "caused" the decline of our game. They blame him for all the downgrades. Bob Dancer is every bit as intelligent as the best poker players, and he IS the star of video poker, yet he is the target of many players' gripes. I think that is unfair, but kinda inevitable. And how many players say they wish Bob Dancer would not write books, but that's AFTER they themselves have benefitted from his books. Bob is darned if he does and darned if he doesn't. And ironic, he has hurt his own ability to play in different casinos. No casino no-mails Doyle Brunson. Apples and oranges, kinda. But give Bob credit, he has turned out great products and information, and I'm sure worked very hard at the game. And I think some of his dumb jokes are funny.



Yeah, but he really needs to change that cornball music on the radio show.
bobbartop
bobbartop
Joined: Mar 15, 2016
  • Threads: 105
  • Posts: 2169
October 31st, 2019 at 11:46:36 AM permalink
Quote: MaxPen

Yeah, but he really needs to change that cornball music on the radio show.




Seriously, Max? Pink Floyd's "Money"? That's perfect. lol

C'mon, what's this really all about? You're just mad because he stepped on your foot when you were at one of those square dancing shindigs.
"...The Queen of Warmongers, embodiment of corruption, and personification of the rot that has sickened the Democratic Party for so long..."
AxelWolf
AxelWolf
Joined: Oct 10, 2012
  • Threads: 132
  • Posts: 17088
Thanks for this post from:
ForagerRSbeachbumbabskgb92
October 31st, 2019 at 1:31:09 PM permalink
Quote: bobbartop

And how many players say they wish Bob Dancer would not write books, but that's AFTER they themselves have benefitted from his books.

I have yet to ever read any AP book(I can see it coming, someone crosses out AP).

There's no denying books and other information given out publicly cost Advantage Players a significant amount of money.

There's also no denying its helped people get into the business and make money. Unfortunately, that information creates a situation were there's not enough to go around for everyone and your yearly income get to cut down drastically on certain things. Now everyone has to put in more hours, do more traveling it's been way more time finding new plays to replace the ones they have lost. The information doesn't just educate Advantage players it the educates the casino industry.

It is, what it is, no matter what the overall cost or what anyone says people are still going to write books and information is still going to be given out publicly.

I can't count the number of people who have come to me after and said, "you were right, it was a very bad idea put that or any information out there, I regret it."

At the beginning they don't quite get it and understand how just how bad TMI affects Advantage Players.
Most of them are just starting out and they don't think it's a big deal since they are just messing around with Advantage Play wanting to make few shekels here perhaps even just for some entertainment not realizing the potential. The money isn't much so they get more enjoyment writing sharing their knowledge, information and stories. Once they start to advance or stubble on to something juicy and the money becomes more serious they start to notice the significant effect the competition and educating the casinos/ Darksiders has on them. There's people on this forum that probably never imagined they would/could actually quit their good job and go full-time AP, yet it's happened a number of times. That could be you, so be careful with what information you put out there publicly.

Another thing people don't quite understand... there are a lot of foolish people out there who only care about the here and now and this very moment. These kind of people have no discretion and they will do incredibly obvious stupid things that will bring attention to plays and get them shut down super quick. These people might as well just come into the casino with a big sign saying, "hey, I'm an Advantage player your promotions team f***** up really bad and I'm here to take your money. Oftentimes, that brings attention to everyone else for doing everything they could to make the play last and stay low key. Yes, there's going to be times when there's a big promotion and it's very obvious to the casino what's going on, especially, when people are sitting there firing and jackpots are going off left and right. Not necessarily talking about that type of situation talking about situations where the casino has no clue what's going on and the situation isn't obvious.

If I can just get a few people here and there to think before they post and spread things publicly, I'll take it. I know there's been a few people who thought twice about posting something even if they never planned on playing it themselves and it worked out well for them by not doing so and taking it to private messages.
My advice...
If you don't know if something's good or you have a question about a play, send a private message to someone you think might know, or put up a post asking for someone to private message you about an advantage play without giving any details.
♪♪Now you swear and kick and beg us That you're not a gamblin' man Then you find you're back in Vegas With a handle in your hand♪♪ Your black cards can make you money So you hide them when you're able In the land of casinos and money You must put them on the table♪♪ You go back Jack do it again roulette wheels turinin' 'round and 'round♪♪ You go back Jack do it again♪♪
AxelWolf
AxelWolf
Joined: Oct 10, 2012
  • Threads: 132
  • Posts: 17088
October 31st, 2019 at 1:34:48 PM permalink
Quote: bobbartop

Seriously, Max? Pink Floyd's "Money"? That's perfect. lol

C'mon, what's this really all about? You're just mad because he stepped on your foot when you were at one of those square dancing shindigs.

For those that don't know, I believe Rob Singer made his screen name directed at Bob Dancer as a jab.
It's kind of funny if you think about it, but most people think the joke's on him.
♪♪Now you swear and kick and beg us That you're not a gamblin' man Then you find you're back in Vegas With a handle in your hand♪♪ Your black cards can make you money So you hide them when you're able In the land of casinos and money You must put them on the table♪♪ You go back Jack do it again roulette wheels turinin' 'round and 'round♪♪ You go back Jack do it again♪♪
bobbartop
bobbartop
Joined: Mar 15, 2016
  • Threads: 105
  • Posts: 2169
October 31st, 2019 at 2:36:38 PM permalink
Quote: AxelWolf

I have yet to ever read any AP book(I can see it coming, someone crosses out AP).

There's no denying books and other information given out publicly cost Advantage Players a significant amount of money.

There's also no denying its helped people get into the business and make money. Unfortunately, that information creates a situation were there's not enough to go around for everyone and your yearly income get to cut down drastically on certain things. Now everyone has to put in more hours, do more traveling it's been way more time finding new plays to replace the ones they have lost. The information doesn't just educate Advantage players it the educates the casino industry.

It is, what it is, no matter what the overall cost or what anyone says people are still going to write books and information is still going to be given out publicly.

I can't count the number of people who have come to me after and said, "you were right, it was a very bad idea put that or any information out there, I regret it."

At the beginning they don't quite get it and understand how just how bad TMI affects Advantage Players.
Most of them are just starting out and they don't think it's a big deal since they are just messing around with Advantage Play wanting to make few shekels here perhaps even just for some entertainment not realizing the potential. The money isn't much so they get more enjoyment writing sharing their knowledge, information and stories. Once they start to advance or stubble on to something juicy and the money becomes more serious they start to notice the significant effect the competition and educating the casinos/ Darksiders has on them. There's people on this forum that probably never imagined they would/could actually quit their good job and go full-time AP, yet it's happened a number of times. That could be you, so be careful with what information you put out there publicly.

Another thing people don't quite understand... there are a lot of foolish people out there who only care about the here and now and this very moment. These kind of people have no discretion and they will do incredibly obvious stupid things that will bring attention to plays and get them shut down super quick. These people might as well just come into the casino with a big sign saying, "hey, I'm an Advantage player your promotions team f***** up really bad and I'm here to take your money. Oftentimes, that brings attention to everyone else for doing everything they could to make the play last and stay low key. Yes, there's going to be times when there's a big promotion and it's very obvious to the casino what's going on, especially, when people are sitting there firing and jackpots are going off left and right. Not necessarily talking about that type of situation talking about situations where the casino has no clue what's going on and the situation isn't obvious.

If I can just get a few people here and there to think before they post and spread things publicly, I'll take it. I know there's been a few people who thought twice about posting something even if they never planned on playing it themselves and it worked out well for them by not doing so and taking it to private messages.
My advice...
If you don't know if something's good or you have a question about a play, send a private message to someone you think might know, or put up a post asking for someone to private message you about an advantage play without giving any details.




Well, I certainly can't argue with anything you just said, Axel. For one thing, I wouldn't dare. You're the man. Geez, hardly a day goes by that I'm not sitting here cussing to myself about what some fckg idiot posts on vpfree. I'm thinking, stfu already, especially if it's a play that's close to me that I've already known about and discovered by myself and exploited by myself. Too much information, why did they even start vpfree? Who's brilliant idea?

I don't know what to say. I'm sure of one thing, if I was one of the people, (and I know they're out there), who discovered things by myself over 30 years ago and then watched all the "bob dancers" and "jean scotts" and "skip hughes", etc., etc., come along and do their thing, I'd be pretty pissed off. And they all may be very nice people, but I'd still be mad at those who let the cat out of the bag. (and I like cats) I just don't know what to say. If it hadn't been them, it would have been someone else probably. It's the way of the world. Heck, I know there were people who figured out video poker WAAAY before everyone even had a desktop computer on their desk. How do THEY feel? lol

I am a nobody. I know that. And I don't want to be a somebody. But honestly, there's probably been a few times where I opened my big fat mouth when I shouldn't have. I dunno. You can't make time go backwards. If I could, my hair would still be brown.
"...The Queen of Warmongers, embodiment of corruption, and personification of the rot that has sickened the Democratic Party for so long..."
bobbartop
bobbartop
Joined: Mar 15, 2016
  • Threads: 105
  • Posts: 2169
October 31st, 2019 at 2:38:20 PM permalink
Quote: AxelWolf

For those that don't know, I believe Rob Singer made his screen name directed at Bob Dancer as a jab.
It's kind of funny if you think about it, but most people think the joke's on him.



You're right, that is funny. I didn't know that.
"...The Queen of Warmongers, embodiment of corruption, and personification of the rot that has sickened the Democratic Party for so long..."
AxelWolf
AxelWolf
Joined: Oct 10, 2012
  • Threads: 132
  • Posts: 17088
October 31st, 2019 at 2:47:47 PM permalink
Quote: bobbartop

You're right, that is funny. I didn't know that.

Skip started VP free. I remember being annoyed in the mid-90s especially, when certain team employees were posting up about 103% all American poker in Kansas City and various other things.

It's been ages since I've even looked at VP free. It might just drive me bonkers. I guess it's a good thing I can't ever seem to navigate through it very well which adds to one of the reasons I don't read it. I'm fairly certain I couldn't even remember my password or what Yahoo account I use. I need less distraction, not more.

With that being said, feel free to send me a link to anything I might find interesting or potentially annoying.
♪♪Now you swear and kick and beg us That you're not a gamblin' man Then you find you're back in Vegas With a handle in your hand♪♪ Your black cards can make you money So you hide them when you're able In the land of casinos and money You must put them on the table♪♪ You go back Jack do it again roulette wheels turinin' 'round and 'round♪♪ You go back Jack do it again♪♪
bobbartop
bobbartop
Joined: Mar 15, 2016
  • Threads: 105
  • Posts: 2169
October 31st, 2019 at 2:57:35 PM permalink
Quote: AxelWolf

especially, when certain team employees were posting up about 103% all American poker in Kansas City




Omg, I think I wanna puke.
"...The Queen of Warmongers, embodiment of corruption, and personification of the rot that has sickened the Democratic Party for so long..."

  • Jump to: