RS
RS
  • Threads: 62
April 15th, 2014 at 5:56:00 PM permalink
I can't find one, so I suppose I'll ask the best place I can think of -- here.

Is there a calculator where you can plug in a game type with paytable and you insert the strategy that you're using? We know what the return and variance is for a game if we use the optimal or basic strategy for that game/paytable....but what if we're using a different strategy? Let's say I'm playing an NSUD game but I am using the optimal strategy for full pay deuces wild. Is there a calculator for that? If not, how would I go about making such calculations myself. PS: I'm not specifically interested in comparing these 2....but I'm looking at several different games and how playing the "wrong" strategy hurts you (or if it barely hurts you at all).
AxiomOfChoice
AxiomOfChoice
  • Threads: 32
April 15th, 2014 at 6:06:27 PM permalink
Quote: RS

I can't find one, so I suppose I'll ask the best place I can think of -- here.

Is there a calculator where you can plug in a game type with paytable and you insert the strategy that you're using? We know what the return and variance is for a game if we use the optimal or basic strategy for that game/paytable....but what if we're using a different strategy? Let's say I'm playing an NSUD game but I am using the optimal strategy for full pay deuces wild. Is there a calculator for that? If not, how would I go about making such calculations myself. PS: I'm not specifically interested in comparing these 2....but I'm looking at several different games and how playing the "wrong" strategy hurts you (or if it barely hurts you at all).

I am curious to know this as well. I asked in a different thread (specifically playing TDB with DDB strategy + a few modifications).

It should not be too hard to calculate yourself if you can write some code. It should be less work than figuring out an optimal strategy (unless I'm missing something)
ThatDonGuy
ThatDonGuy
  • Threads: 117
April 15th, 2014 at 6:38:08 PM permalink
You have to remember that "optimal strategy" involves knowing how to play all 134,459 different possible hands (if suits don't matter - e.g. Kings of hearts and diamonds, 2s of spades and clubs, and 10 of diamonds is the same as Kings of spades and hearts, 2s of clubs and diamonds (neither suit matches the other pair), and 10 of hearts (suit matches a suit in the Kings)). Any analyzer that uses fewer hands runs the risk of playing a particular hand at a disadvantage.
mickeycrimm
mickeycrimm
April 15th, 2014 at 6:43:36 PM permalink
Quote: AxiomOfChoice

I am curious to know this as well. I asked in a different thread (specifically playing TDB with DDB strategy + a few modifications).
It should not be too hard to calculate yourself if you can write some code. It should be less work than figuring out an optimal strategy (unless I'm missing something)

Wolf Video Poker has a function called "Tweak The Strategy Chart" which has been very helpful in my analyzing of certain games. Not long ago I got some help here on WoV in analyzing a joker game called Joker's Vault. This is a single joker progressive game where when you make a full house (wild or not) you then go to a double joker game with the same payscale for ten free games. If you win 8 of the 10 free games you get the progressive meter.

I punched the payscale on Wolf Video Poker and hit the analyze tab to get the payback percentage and the strategy chart for the single joker game. But the problem was certain drawing hands that could make a full house were not showing their true value because of the value of the ten free games when you made a full house.

So I calculated the true value of those hands to see what hands had to be moved up in the strategy chart. Once I had those hands determined I then went to the Wolf Video Poker strategy chart for the game and hit the "Tweak the Strategy Chart" tab. This allowed me to move those hands up in the strategy chart to their proper places. Then I hit the analyze tab to get the payback of the game and it also cranks out the new strategy chart. At this point you give the game it's own unique name and it is filed away in your list of games.

If the OP wanted to do something like find out what the payback of 10/7 Double Bonus would be if he were using 9/6 Jacks strategy then he would pull up 10/7 on WVP, go to the strategy chart and hit the "Tweak the Strategy Chart" tab, replace the 10/7 strategy with the 9/6 strategy, then hit the analyze tab to get the payback of the game.

BTW, 10/7 pays 100.17% with optimal strategy, but if you were to use 9/6 strategy the game would return only 99.6%. And you can determine this using the tweak the strategy chart function on VWP.
"Quit trying your luck and start trying your skill." Mickey Crimm
mickeycrimm
mickeycrimm
April 15th, 2014 at 6:50:55 PM permalink
Quote: RS

Let's say I'm playing an NSUD game but I am using the optimal strategy for full pay deuces wild. Is there a calculator for that?.

Yes, you can do that using the Tweak the Strategy Chart function on WVP. And if anyone thinks I'm shilling for Jim Wolf and WVP then you are correct. I use it almost exclusively because I think it is the best VP software on the market. It's $40 and can be bought online at wolfvideopoker.com. Get the demo first, then buy if you want.
mickeycrimm
mickeycrimm
April 15th, 2014 at 6:56:18 PM permalink
PS: If you want to get an idea of how Tweak the Strategy Chart works then download Frugal Video Poker for free off of wolfvideopoker.com.
RS
RS
April 15th, 2014 at 8:04:42 PM permalink
Very interesting. Thanks. I'll check it out tonight.
  • Jump to: