Lucky
Lucky
  • Threads: 1
September 14th, 2011 at 1:02:00 PM permalink
Hello all. Heres a link to a roughly constructed information page designed to briefly explain the concept and disclose the math highlights for my new game:

http://www.wix.com/in6866/lucky-stiff-blackjack

Id appreciate hearing from any of you who care to review this page and offer your opinion and/or questions, either publicly in this forum or privately using the contact address on the linked page.

THANKS!
"Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm." -- Winston Churchill
Switch
Switch
  • Threads: 12
September 14th, 2011 at 3:21:52 PM permalink
I don't think that players generally like to wager on receiving a bad hand, in my experience. However, this wager doesn't quite qualify for that as you need to draw a good hand in order to win.

Nevertheless, players will still be aiming to be in a bad position in order to get a chance of winning the side-bet so I think that will be it's downfall.

Have you performed a count vulnerability study yet? Although it's different to the O/U 13 side-bet it does incorporate player totals so it would be worth checking into.
Ayecarumba
Ayecarumba
  • Threads: 225
September 14th, 2011 at 3:36:16 PM permalink
Do you have to / can you double the "Stiff" if you double down the main?
When I die, I want everyone who ever worked with me on a group project to lower me into my grave so they can let me down one last time.
Lucky
Lucky
September 14th, 2011 at 7:23:52 PM permalink
Good point, Switch. Without the benefit of live play on the floor, whether or not players will bet on receiving a bad hand is certainly one of the big questions. In my play testing, though, it was interesting to see how players actually seemed to hope for a stiff hand to get the chance for a multiple payout. Of course, they weren't playing with 'real' money.

As one of my developer friends observed, the bet serves somewhat as a semi-hedge against receiving a bad hand ... not a full hedge since you can still win both bets when playing the 'high side.'

Yes, I did have an advantage play analysis done, with results showing that the Stiff bet was only about 1/100th as vulnerable as the main bet.
"Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm." -- Winston Churchill
Lucky
Lucky
September 14th, 2011 at 7:30:34 PM permalink
No, doubling down is not a provision in the Stiff rules as currently designed, even if a player chooses to double down on a hard 12 - 16.
buzzpaff
buzzpaff
  • Threads: 112
September 14th, 2011 at 8:50:30 PM permalink
That link either takes me to web page design site or back here. What am I doing wrong >
Lucky
Lucky
September 14th, 2011 at 8:59:22 PM permalink
Don't know, buzzpaff. It works for me. Make sure you have the complete link address:

http://www.wix.com/in6866/lucky-stiff-blackjack

Please copy and paste and try again. I'd like to get your input.
buzzpaff
buzzpaff
  • Threads: 112
September 15th, 2011 at 8:26:54 AM permalink
Keep getting same results. Even tried to Google lucky stiff blackjack. Can you post a click on link or pm me the rules. Games seems interesting !
Lucky
Lucky
September 15th, 2011 at 9:22:11 AM permalink
Buzz, I sent you a hyperlink (click-on link) privately - to the gmail address posted on your member profile. Let me know if it's not in your Inbox and I'll resend.
Paradigm
Paradigm
  • Threads: 41
September 15th, 2011 at 10:38:34 AM permalink
The link is working for me. Here is what I noticed about the bet:

1) The bet is not resolved after the first two cards are dealt and is linked to the base BJ game of your hand vs. the dealer's hand (i.e. it is not a three card poker bonus, Lucky Ladies, Lucky Lucky, etc.).

2) It appears that you "qualify" with a stiff hand 40% of the time, so 1 out of every 2.5 hands you have some anticipation that you could win based on the card you subsequently draw. That qualification/anticipation rate is a lot higher than most other side bets and the win rate at 20% is also pretty good.

3) When you are dealt a "Stiff Hand" and the dealer has 7 - A, you get paid at least 5 to 1 even if you don't beat the dealer (and lose your main BJ bet) provided you draw to at least at least 17 without busting. I hate it when I get a dealt a 14 and hit to 19 against a dealer 10 upcard only to lose when the dealer has a 10 for their hole card as well.

4) It is NOT a "dollar and a prayer" type side bet with huge top end payouts, a 9% - 12% hit rate and a large house edge. There are already plenty of those side bets out there. But it does give you a chance to win 9 to 1 even in the "non-power version".

5) The downside I see is what Switch indicated in that the players are betting that they get a "stiff hand" which is not what you want to be rooting for in BJ. I guess the upside there is that it isn't a true "insurance" type bet as you can win both your main bet and the Lucky Stiff bet in the same hand. "Half hedge" is a good description.

It will be interesting to see what the rest of the forum thinks (and what players think if you get it out on the floor). It gives BJ some increased variance without a ridiculous house edge price tag.

• Jump to: