dk
dk
  • Threads: 20
December 3rd, 2009 at 3:33:44 PM permalink
I can think of at least twice that a dealer has suggested that I leave the table because it was "cold" (once Pai Gow at Palazzo, once Baccarat at Venetian Macao). I was the only person at the table both times, and was not drunk or belligerent--in fact I felt like I had a good rapport with the dealer. In the case of Pai Gow, I had even been tipping (so the dealer was potentially giving up income by suggesting I leave--though the tips were shared, so not much income). I obviously don't believe that past outcomes affect future results in these games, so I don't believe in a "cold" table. In both cases I left because I thought it would be rude to the dealer if I ignored her advice.

Do you think the dealers had my best interest in mind, or did they just want to get rid of me, and if so, why?
The ratio of people to cake is too big.
MrPapagiorgio
MrPapagiorgio
  • Threads: 58
December 3rd, 2009 at 5:04:38 PM permalink
Was it late? Maybe they were preparing to close the table down shortly?
So I says to him, I said "Get your own monkey!"
pocketaces
pocketaces
  • Threads: 3
December 3rd, 2009 at 5:32:42 PM permalink
Like gamblers, lots of dealers believe this. And some believe it enough that they feel good about warning people, like they are definitely saving you money.
JimMorrison
JimMorrison
  • Threads: 21
December 3rd, 2009 at 6:55:32 PM permalink
A lot of dealers believe this. Just like helpful bartenders who tell you which video poker machines are hot and which ones you should avoid because they hit a royal earlier.
EvenBob: "Look America, I have a tiny wee-wee, can anybody help me?"
DrEntropy
DrEntropy
  • Threads: 27
December 5th, 2009 at 1:04:51 PM permalink
Quote: pocketaces

Like gamblers, lots of dealers believe this. And some believe it enough that they feel good about warning people, like they are definitely saving you money.

And don't forget, a lot of dealers ARE gamblers on their off time!
"Mathematical expectation has nothing to do with results." (Sklansky, Theory of Poker).
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
  • Threads: 265
December 7th, 2009 at 6:08:32 AM permalink
Quote: dk

I was the only person at the table both times,

The dealer knows he can't slow the game down too much but that house edge is relentless if you are the only player. If there are other players to whom he must deal that house edge acts against you at a slower rate. Oh, its the exact same percentage, but there are just fewer hands being dealt. If you've been losing and are alone at the table its a sign they probably are thinking of your wallet (and their tips). You move to a more crowded table and they will share in the tips. You stay all alone at their table and keep losing, they will get less because of your losses.

Anyone ever notice how the dealer will chat with you more when you are losing than when you are winning? They know you are losing and perhaps not aware of just how often, so they try to chat a bit to slow down the dealing and give you pause to consider your options.

And ofcourse sometimes, they have signed the EO list and want an Early Out if one is avialable, but they won't be sent home unless there are some empty tables.
Mosca
Mosca
  • Threads: 191
March 19th, 2016 at 7:16:35 AM permalink
I always try to play carnival games with a close to full table. First, it's more fun. Second, you want to play a negative expectation game at a slower rate, your money lasts longer.
A falling knife has no handle.
odiousgambit
odiousgambit
  • Threads: 326
March 19th, 2016 at 12:02:45 PM permalink
ya dug up a 7 year old one there, Mr. Mosca!
the next time Dame Fortune toys with your heart, your soul and your wallet, raise your glass and praise her thus: “Thanks for nothing, you cold-hearted, evil, damnable, nefarious, low-life, malicious monster from Hell!”   She is, after all, stone deaf. ... Arnold Snyder
  • Jump to: