teddys
teddys
  • Threads: 150
December 13th, 2010 at 3:54:49 PM permalink
No, the 6 and 8 are set most often as points and the 4 and 10 least often. They don't balance each other out, though.
"Dice, verily, are armed with goads and driving-hooks, deceiving and tormenting, causing grievous woe." -Rig Veda 10.34.4
thecesspit
thecesspit
  • Threads: 53
December 13th, 2010 at 4:17:37 PM permalink
Quote: TIMSPEED

WTF? If you were to bet that way, your average bet would be $25 ($5 pass/$20 odds)

Not really as you'd have $5 bets out that won or lost on the come out.
"Then you can admire the real gambler, who has neither eaten, slept, thought nor lived, he has so smarted under the scourge of his martingale, so suffered on the rack of his desire for a coup at trente-et-quarante" - Honore de Balzac, 1829
goatcabin
goatcabin
  • Threads: 4
December 13th, 2010 at 5:45:06 PM permalink
Quote: TIMSPEED

WTF? If you were to bet that way, your average bet would be $25 ($5 pass/$20 odds)

This is a very common error players make -- an unconscious assumption that you make an odds bet every decision; of course, you only make an odds bet, on average, 2/3 of the time, so you have (.33 * 5) + (.67 * 25) = $18.40.
Cheers,
Alan Shank
Woodland, CA
Cheers, Alan Shank "How's that for a squabble, Pugh?" Peter Boyle as Mister Moon in "Yellowbeard"
7winner
7winner
  • Threads: 9
December 13th, 2010 at 6:01:33 PM permalink
Quote: goatcabin

This is a very common error players make -- an unconscious assumption that you make an odds bet every decision; of course, you only make an odds bet, on average, 2/3 of the time, so you have (.33 * 5) + (.67 * 25) = $18.40.
Cheers,
Alan Shank
Woodland, CA

Except for the rare players, and I have dealt to a few in my time, that never bet the comeout roll but always made the put bet with max odds (mostly 2 and 3 times odds).
I could never figure out that one.
7 winner chicken dinner!
TIMSPEED
TIMSPEED
  • Threads: 89
December 14th, 2010 at 8:43:19 AM permalink
Quote: goatcabin

Cheers,
Alan Shank
Woodland, CA

Ohh ok, I gotcha. Well, at least they rate me for $25 when I play $5+3/4/5x :)
Gambling calls to me...like this ~> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Nap37mNSmQ
RPToro
RPToro
  • Threads: 7
December 14th, 2010 at 10:53:44 AM permalink
I must say that, while I stay away from all the middle bets on the craps table, I'm a 'sucker' for the sucker Fire Bet. It's a $1 bet that (as an earlier poster stated) can take a bit of time to resolve. I know the house edge is super-high, but I've done way dumber / more wasteful things with $1. Plus I hit all 6 points with a Firebet up last year in Biloxi, so the $1k probably turned out to be like crack for me. I'm sure I'll spend the next few trips 'giving it all back' lol.

Side note, the guy next to me had $5 for himself and $1 for the dealer. That was all of the Fire Bets on the table for my roll. Guess how many people were betting the FB after my roll... lol
Martin
Martin
  • Threads: 8
December 16th, 2010 at 12:39:55 PM permalink
When I roll I sometimes put $5 on "Big Red" and if I hit I parlay then press until I stop throwing 7's. I don't do it every time but I've had streaks of 4 through 7 "reds" in a row on several occasions for each. I sometimes put a buck or two on the "yo" and if it hits I always parlay it and if it hits again I press - I've only had 3 in a row once. I might play the hardways for a buck, not often, and always parlay then press those as well.

I seldom play the firebet. But when I do I always put the dealers in play. Had a 6 number hit a couple of years ago and the dealers were pretty pleased with the payoff.

These are fun bets - they keep me from dying of boredom while I'm at the table.
SanchoPanza
SanchoPanza
  • Threads: 34
December 16th, 2010 at 6:49:05 PM permalink
Quote: focd

However, some dealers will go "come on it's only a dollar, it won't hurt" or "what can you do with a dollar these days? you can't even get a candy bar." That's how bad it is. Sometimes it's not just what they say but it's just their body language, etc... Which is why I avoid playing at those places at all costs. I agree with you that players don't have to listen, but it really is easier said than done. If you're playing by yourself there are 4 people watching you and sometimes they keep asking making you feel uncomfortable. And you can't sometimes just say straight up NO (as in like NO don't ask again because it's getting annoying!) That's a part of craps I don't like because sometimes you can't just walk away with a bunch of chips when the dealer(s) is/are annoying. They might ask you to color up before you leave if you do decide to just walk off and it feels weird when you know the dealers are rude. It's makes me feel really uncomfortable counting chips on the rail slowly while everyone is unfriendly in that way. It makes you look like you're cheap or paranoid because you have to stop and have everyone wait for you to count your chips before you color up. That's what I don't like about these dealers and I'm guessing they're the ones who hustle for players to make prop bets. I mean I'm sure boxmen make mistakes while counting chips. That's why I will only play at places I like/or are familiar with.

This reads like an expansion of your prior complaints. Craps is a game that you are paying to enjoy. If you don't enjoy it, play elsewhere or don't play at all. It's not supposed to make you feel uncomfortable (except, maybe, when you're losing).

I'd say anywhere from 70 to 90 percent of the table employees are reasonable, if not really friendly, especially if you do not come off like a snot, a know-it-all, an a-hole, hostile, complaining or things like that. Also, it pays to pick up on their likes and dislikes and even ask for their advice.

Just this week, I was out of position and had difficulty laying odds on DC bets. The dealer saw that it was making extra confusion and work for him and he saw that I was trying to get them out of the come box and up near the DC. After a bit, he said, "Just put them in the come box." Fortunately, I was playing my system (to not much avail) really consistently. So he and the reliefs picked up quickly on it.

No BS. Just heads-up dealing and pure business. And the appreciation was noted.
DJTeddyBear
DJTeddyBear
  • Threads: 177
December 17th, 2010 at 5:10:05 AM permalink
Quote: SanchoPanza

Just this week, I was out of position and had difficulty laying odds on DC bets.

What position makes it easy to lay those DC odds?

On a side note, I always thought they should shorten the Come and/or Field by a couple inches, and have a second DC box near the stick....
Superstitions are silly, childish, irrational rituals, born out of fear of the unknown. But how much does it cost to knock on wood? 😁 Note that the same could be said for Religion. I.E. Religion is nothing more than organized superstition. 🤗
SanchoPanza
SanchoPanza
  • Threads: 34
December 17th, 2010 at 5:25:11 AM permalink
Quote: DJTeddyBear

What position makes it easy to lay those DC odds?

Because we were all don't players except for one on the left side (and the right side had a couple of don'ts, too) I started out SL1, then moved to the hook and eventually next to the dealer. That makes it easier not only to put down the DC, but also, if there is time, to piggyback the odds when they move in back of the numbers.
Quote: DJTeddyBear

On a side note, I always thought they should shorten the Come and/or Field by a couple inches, and have a second DC box near the stick....

Most definitely. They are oversized for the volume they see. And especially at a place that don't bettors favor like Caesars, there is barely enough room for two don't players with odds, not to mention three.

• Jump to: