AZDuffman
AZDuffman
  • Threads: 240
November 30th, 2009 at 2:01:54 PM permalink
So far this year I have been "paper betting" on the NFL to test my analysis and ideas. (It's online, search my username on google.) However, even if I make a bit of a go at that, no sports-bettor I have ever read says you can really make it on betting just the NFL--there just aren't enough games.

With that in mind I want to learn to bet baseball and need to read up on the subject. While I am not completely ignorant of the rules of the game, I have just a basic understanding of the finer points. I figure that only partially matters as I can learn the stats that matter most and go from there.

So, I am looking for a book(s) that will explain what stats matter most and some basic handicapping for the game. I want a book on BETTING baseball, not any other part of the game. Baseball teams are "bets" to me and little if anything more.

Thanks!
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1491
November 30th, 2009 at 4:04:33 PM permalink
Sorry, I don't know of any books on that topic. I'd be interested to hear recommendations for statistics-based handicapping books for any sport.
"For with much wisdom comes much sorrow." -- Ecclesiastes 1:18 (NIV)
dk
dk
  • Threads: 20
November 30th, 2009 at 4:17:14 PM permalink
I know this isn't what you're looking for, but it might guide you in the right direction. Chapter 4 of Michael Lewis' Moneyball gives a short historical background of baseball statistics. It mentions annual statistical publications such as "Baseball Abstract" and "Elias Baseball Analyst". I have no idea if these are still published, but no doubt there is something out there since there are probably more stats on baseball than all other sports combined.
The ratio of people to cake is too big.
cartytay
cartytay
  • Threads: 3
February 6th, 2010 at 6:50:53 PM permalink
dont know of any books on betting baseball, but I make a good living from betting baseball, and I can tell you this. 43% of the time underdogs win! Dont know if this has stood the history of baseball, but I know 1st hand that this has happened like clockwork the past 5 years that I have bet it. now the 43% may seem low but with average odds of +135-+195 it turns a great profit every year
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
  • Threads: 240
February 8th, 2010 at 8:43:32 AM permalink
Quote: cartytay

dont know of any books on betting baseball, but I make a good living from betting baseball, and I can tell you this. 43% of the time underdogs win! Dont know if this has stood the history of baseball, but I know 1st hand that this has happened like clockwork the past 5 years that I have bet it. now the 43% may seem low but with average odds of +135-+195 it turns a great profit every year

This is the kind of thing I was looking for. Do you have any further breakdown on home/away dogs?
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
  • Jump to: