clarkacal
clarkacal
  • Threads: 42
January 12th, 2011 at 9:33:14 PM permalink
Has anyone noticed how the underdogs in basketball magically crap their pants the last 4 or 5 minutes in the fourth quarter? I watched hundreds of games this season and it's a recurring theme.
What is it attributed to? Are they underdogs because they lack depth and tire later in the game? Does the favorite have players who simply make shots when it counts, and the underdogs choke? I understand that the visiting team is usually the underdog so there is the home court adv for the favorite, but why would it magnify in the last part of the 4th qtr? They have been playing on that same court the whole game and they are professionals, so what little effect the crowd has on them has been there all game. I would like to know the percentage of underdog chokes in the 4th qtr compared to underdog comebacks. I bet it's around 4 or 5 to 1.
For example, the NJN are leading the whole game tonight against the Suns and go into the 4th with an 11 pt lead in Phx. They go to overtime, score 6 points in overtime, and lose by 9. Yes I had money on this game.
clarkacal
clarkacal
January 12th, 2011 at 9:37:07 PM permalink
For example the Clippers are up 10 against the Heat with 11:20 to go in the fourth quarter. Watch what happens...
clarkacal
clarkacal
January 12th, 2011 at 10:14:04 PM permalink
Looks like I reverse jinxed myself into a win!
  • Jump to: