seven
seven
  • Threads: 26
July 24th, 2024 at 12:43:17 AM permalink
Hey everyone

Back with another basketball probability question. I found the following basketball question:

Two Shot Spot: Contestants can pick any spot on the court and take a shot at the basket. They then have to shoot from the exact same spot at the opposite basket on the court.

I thought about which spot I would choose. The answer is that I would choose the half court line. This means that I have to make 2 out of 2 half-court shots.

Which spot would you choose? Is there one that makes more sense than the half court line to start with?

Thanks as always for your input
heatmap
heatmap
  • Threads: 269
July 24th, 2024 at 5:07:43 AM permalink
I have to be missing some rules to say this but I would stand right next to or under the basket.
seven
seven
Thanked by
heatmap
July 24th, 2024 at 5:11:45 AM permalink
please ask if something is missing.

But if you shoot the first shot from underneath the basket, then the 2nd shot will be a full court shot because you have to shoot the other basket from the spot where you shot the first shot.
heatmap
heatmap
  • Threads: 269
July 24th, 2024 at 6:05:04 AM permalink
Quote: seven

please ask if something is missing.

But if you shoot the first shot from underneath the basket, then the 2nd shot will be a full court shot because you have to shoot the other basket from the spot where you shot the first shot.
link to original post

Yup missed the second half of that sentence
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
  • Threads: 122
Thanked by
seven
July 24th, 2024 at 3:28:50 PM permalink

Hey everyone

Back with another basketball probability question. I found the following basketball question:

Two Shot Spot: Contestants can pick any spot on the court and take a shot at the basket. They then have to shoot from the exact same spot at the opposite basket on the court.

I thought about which spot I would choose. The answer is that I would choose the half court line. This means that I have to make 2 out of 2 half-court shots.

Which spot would you choose? Is there one that makes more sense than the half court line to start with?

link to original post

Correct. Two halfcourt shots. Unless there is additional information. Like outside with wind. I have made consecutive halfcourt shots many times (disclaimer…. most gyms have a smaller full court, thus shorter halfcourt than a regulation NBA court ). After making one there certainly is increased ‘pressure’ to make the second.
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 89
July 24th, 2024 at 3:36:12 PM permalink
Quote: SOOPOO

Hey everyone

link to original post

Correct. Two halfcourt shots. Unless there is additional information. Like outside with wind. I have made consecutive halfcourt shots many times (disclaimer…. most gyms have a smaller full court, thus shorter halfcourt than a regulation NBA court ). After making one there certainly is increased ‘pressure’ to make the second.
link to original post

What would be your guess on the probability of you making a half court shot? My gut says that it is better to take the first shot where you have a higher probability to make it. Maybe at the arc of the 3 point shot where maybe you can make 30%.
At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
July 24th, 2024 at 4:49:43 PM permalink
Quote: DRich

Hey everyone

link to original post

link to original post

What would be your guess on the probability of you making a half court shot? My gut says that it is better to take the first shot where you have a higher probability to make it. Maybe at the arc of the 3 point shot where maybe you can make 30%.
link to original post

On a real NBA court I’ll make the ‘top of the key’ shot 70-75% of the time. And the shot towards the other basket 0% of the time. Just can’t reach. I’m guessing now for me to even reach on a real NBA halfcourt shot it is a heave, not a shot. Certainly less than 1%. A halfcourt shot is around 45 feet. From 30 feet I’d guess I am over 10%. Probably around 35 feet I drop off precipitously.
ThatDonGuy
ThatDonGuy
Thanked by
seven
July 24th, 2024 at 4:55:34 PM permalink

On a real NBA court I’ll make the ‘top of the key’ shot 70-75% of the time. And the shot towards the other basket 0% of the time. Just can’t reach. I’m guessing now for me to even reach on a real NBA halfcourt shot it is a heave, not a shot. Certainly less than 1%. A halfcourt shot is around 45 feet. From 30 feet I’d guess I am over 10%. Probably around 35 feet I drop off precipitously.
link to original post

I'm pretty sure halfcourt is 41'9" to the center of the basket in the NBA and college, and "supposed to be" 36'9" feet, but can be as short as 31'9", in high school.

Of course, this is the distance from the center of the midcourt line to the center of the basket. As you move closer to the sidelines, the distance increases.

As for where I would shoot, the obvious answer is, the center of halfcourt, as it minimizes the distance of the longest shot.
seven
seven
July 24th, 2024 at 10:58:18 PM permalink
Thank you all for the answers. Sorry, my fault as I should have mentioned that I mean the NBA and FIBA size courts.
I understood that the NBA court is 94x50 feet and the FIBA court is 91.9x 49.2 feet.

NBA 3 point arc is 23.75 ft
FIBA 3 point arc is 22.15 ft
aceside
aceside
  • Threads: 2
July 25th, 2024 at 7:26:33 AM permalink
I googled for the basketball shooting accuracy as a function of shooting distance and found a few research papers there. They are mostly statistics on NBA players.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
July 25th, 2024 at 7:51:40 AM permalink
Quote: aceside

I googled for the basketball shooting accuracy as a function of shooting distance and found a few research papers there. They are mostly statistics on NBA players.
link to original post

Not really relevant. As those are in the flow of a game and while being guarded. (I didn’t read the papers, but made an assumption).
The vast majority of NBA 3 pointers are on jump shots. A set shot is MUCH easier if no one is playing defense.
seven
seven
July 25th, 2024 at 8:31:36 AM permalink
I thought it was understood that these challenges were for non-professional players.
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 89
July 25th, 2024 at 3:26:17 PM permalink

Hey everyone

link to original post

link to original post

link to original post

link to original post

How much further is it from the top of the key to half court?

BTW, I am very impressed with your basketball prowess.
At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.
ChumpChange
ChumpChange
July 25th, 2024 at 3:44:16 PM permalink
I'd do a sky hook from the right corner.
seven
seven
July 25th, 2024 at 11:59:29 PM permalink
Quote: ChumpChange

I'd do a sky hook from the right corner.
link to original post

And then what? The 2nd shot?
ThatDonGuy
ThatDonGuy
July 26th, 2024 at 9:18:21 AM permalink

How much further is it from the top of the key to half court?
link to original post

In the NBA and college, it is 22 feet from the top of the key to half court. In high school, it is usually 17 feet. In international play, it is 6.4m, which is about 21 feet.
  • Jump to: