Thread Rating:

JerryLogan
JerryLogan
  • Threads: 26
December 13th, 2010 at 8:26:03 AM permalink
Whadaya think? In 2007 they set all kinds of offensive records going 16-0, but their 2nd 8 games far less overwhelming than their 1st 8 as teams started to figure out how to "stop" them. They played like mere mortals in winning their 2 playoff games before losing the Super Bowl on a crazy play or two to a team they beat a month earlier on their home field.

This year was supposed to be a rebuilding year for them, with a bunch of rookies on defense and new faces etc. They've tasted losing early, which could help them do what they failed to do in '07. They're seemingly going in the opposite direction of how they went in their undefeated regular season. They're beating up on the NFL's best defenses week after week, in addition to getting stronger and stronger with that surgical-type offense. It is really something to behold for an NFL fan, regardless who you're pulling for.

So, I don't know what the odds are right now, but would a bet on NE to win the SB be worth it?
Mosca
Mosca
  • Threads: 191
December 13th, 2010 at 8:40:59 AM permalink
I'm more impressed with them this year because they're peaking at the right time; as you noted, in 2007 they started looking mortal at the end of the year and then lost the one game that mattered.

On the other hand, in 2007 they seemed like early Mike Tyson, and other teams appeared to act like Tyson's opponents, whereas this year everyone kind of knows how and why they're winning the way they are, and they're treating them as if they can be beaten, high power scoring and great execution notwithstanding.

As of 12/12, the odds were 11-2. I would think that was before yesterday's game. If I were a bettor, I'd say that's a damn sight better bet than, say, the Steelers at 6-1.

Re: yesterday's game... our local game was Mia/NYJ, and we were anticipating the possibility that NE/Chi would be one of those all time great NFL games, what with the teams, and the weather; the potential was there. So we (me & my dad, he watches the games with us) ponied up $45 to DirecTV for the Midwest feed, and it looked pretty good for the first two series of plays. Son of a bitch. Not that it wasn't worth doing, because of the potential, but son of a bitch. At halftime we switched back to Mia/NYJ, which was a closer game but still pretty boring.

How about that Jets coach tripping the Miami gunner? Shades of Woody Hayes!
A falling knife has no handle.
JerryLogan
JerryLogan
December 13th, 2010 at 9:10:33 AM permalink
That guy who stuck out his knee ought to be kneed in the balls, then fired, then fined BIG TIME. He did that out of frustration for failing to do his job the best he could and he knew it. If that gal in Saudi had to be stoned for adultery, then this guy should have each toe nail pulled off by a crude set of dirty pliers that don't work well.
thecesspit
thecesspit
  • Threads: 53
December 13th, 2010 at 9:36:42 AM permalink
The Jets assistant was canned.

Current odds on BoDog are :

Atlanta Falcons - 6/1
( 9/5 for the NFC championship. I think the Falcons are the team to beat in the NFC and would back them to make the show)
Baltimore Ravens - 16/1
Chicago Bears - 25/1
( Or you could spend the dollars on a cup of coffee and get more expectation )
Green Bay Packers - 20/1
( On yesterday's performance... just run the football at them. Exert pressure up front. The Lions have crappy run offence and beat them with it. )
Indianapolis Colts - 22/1
( Yuck )
Jacksonville Jaguars - 30/1
( 18/1 to win the AFC. Unlikely, but I don't think it's impossible).
Kansas City Chiefs - 50/1
( They've all gone quiet )
Miami Dolphins - 200/1
( Save your money )
Minnesota Vikings - 200/1
(Won't make play offs)
New England Patriots - 5/2
(Far too short for value if you ask me... 7/2 I'd listen. Maybe hope they lose a surprise game in the next 3).
New Orleans Saints - 10/1
(Not convicned by them at all this season. But will make playoffs and may do well)
New York Giants - 14/1
(Another team that could do well once they make playoffs... they've got the form and experience.)
New York Jets - 25/1
(The dream is dying...)
Oakland Raiders - 250/1
Philadelphia Eagles - 8/1
(Not this year)
Pittsburgh Steelers - 6/1
(Probably the Patriots biggest roadblock in the AFC... some match up analysis might give you an idea who'd win head-to-head... but can the Steelers D stop the NE game? I suspect that with prep they could do some damage to Brady et al).
San Diego Chargers - 12/1
(I will never back a Norv Turner team)
San Francisco 49ers - 75/1
Seattle Seahawks - 150/1
St.Louis Rams - 100/1
(NFC West - WTF)
Tampa Bay Buccaneers - 125/1
(Next years team...)
"Then you can admire the real gambler, who has neither eaten, slept, thought nor lived, he has so smarted under the scourge of his martingale, so suffered on the rack of his desire for a coup at trente-et-quarante" - Honore de Balzac, 1829
JerryLogan
JerryLogan
December 13th, 2010 at 9:43:55 AM permalink
5/2? Not for me!
thecesspit
thecesspit
December 13th, 2010 at 9:47:15 AM permalink
Quote: JerryLogan

5/2? Not for me!

Not for you to bet, or not too short for you?
"Then you can admire the real gambler, who has neither eaten, slept, thought nor lived, he has so smarted under the scourge of his martingale, so suffered on the rack of his desire for a coup at trente-et-quarante" - Honore de Balzac, 1829
JerryLogan
JerryLogan
December 13th, 2010 at 10:16:51 AM permalink
Quote: thecesspit

Not for you to bet, or not too short for you?

Both. I'm done for this year since I'm ahead so much, to mkl's chagrin. In fact, he'd be spending much more time here with his "mouse" in his hand had I not had such a great month winning in the NFL and most of all, being so successful having Rob Singer guide me to winning another $4k+ on machines he thinks will LOSE at every turn. All those hundred dollar words and made up intellect are sure taking a hit in the real world!
thecesspit
thecesspit
December 13th, 2010 at 10:23:15 AM permalink
I thought we were assessing football teams, not your manlovehate relationship with MKL. it's a little creepy and weird how you bring it up all the time.

I agree, 5/2 is too short... but if you think the Pats will get a bye and win each game with in the playoffs with a better than 66% chance... then it's a fair price.
JerryLogan
JerryLogan
December 13th, 2010 at 12:41:46 PM permalink
I like rubbing it in.

Aren't "creepy weird" my words??
thecesspit
thecesspit
December 13th, 2010 at 12:46:53 PM permalink
I lied, the assistant isn't canned... yet. Goes to show what happens if you don't check sources on internet boards.
JerryLogan
JerryLogan
December 13th, 2010 at 1:28:16 PM permalink
He's got to be finished. You don't cheap-shot multi-million dollar athletes on billion dollar teams in front of that many people. Those strength & conditioning coaches are a dime a dozen anyway. Put him back in some high school in the inner city where he can ponder his stupidity.
thecesspit
thecesspit
December 13th, 2010 at 10:45:03 PM permalink
http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/news/story?id=5915776&campaign=rss&source=NFLHeadlines

Suspended till end of season (whenever the Jets finish) and fined $25,000.
  • Jump to: