mwalz9
mwalz9
  • Threads: 39
October 8th, 2021 at 3:22:04 PM permalink
I have been having a ton of fun playing FanDuel's Single Game head to Head matchups against 1 other person this whole baseball playoff season so far.

For those not familiar, you can play for $1, $5, $10, $25, $50, $100, etc...

Every player is assigned a salary. You must stay under salary cap. You select 5 players total. 1 is your MVP, he gets 2x the points as a normal player, next is your STAR who gets 1.5x the points as a normal player. Then you get 3 utility guys with standard stats.

Like I said, I do the head to head vs 1 other random player. It makes the games super fun to watch.

FanDuel rakes 10% of the pot and the winner gets the 90%.

I'm 4-1 in my matchups thru the 5 games that have finished. Anyone else play on there at all?
unJon
unJon
  • Threads: 14
October 8th, 2021 at 3:28:41 PM permalink
Quote: mwalz9

I have been having a ton of fun playing FanDuel's Single Game head to Head matchups against 1 other person this whole baseball playoff season so far.

For those not familiar, you can play for $1, $5, $10, $25, $50, $100, etc...

Every player is assigned a salary. You must stay under salary cap. You select 5 players total. 1 is your MVP, he gets 2x the points as a normal player, next is your STAR who gets 1.5x the points as a normal player. Then you get 3 utility guys with standard stats.

Like I said, I do the head to head vs 1 other random player. It makes the games super fun to watch.

FanDuel rakes 10% of the pot and the winner gets the 90%.

I'm 4-1 in my matchups thru the 5 games that have finished. Anyone else play on there at all?
link to original post

So you bet $10 to win $18? Steep rake.
The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong; but that is the way to bet.
mwalz9
mwalz9
October 8th, 2021 at 4:12:18 PM permalink
No different than the vig on an standard sports bet.
unJon
unJon
October 8th, 2021 at 5:04:58 PM permalink

No different than the vig on an standard sports bet.
link to original post

$11 to win $21 is better than $10 to win $18.
The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong; but that is the way to bet.
mwalz9
mwalz9
October 8th, 2021 at 5:17:10 PM permalink
Barely.
mwalz9
mwalz9
October 8th, 2021 at 5:21:21 PM permalink
I see value in it. I feel the true odds of me knowing more than a random about baseball is better than -125!
unJon
unJon
October 8th, 2021 at 5:30:04 PM permalink

I see value in it. I feel the true odds of me knowing more than a random about baseball is better than -125!
link to original post

There you go. And it does sound fun. I was just posting to point out that a 25 cent line is worse than a 10 cent line (and more than “barely”!)
mwalz9
mwalz9
October 8th, 2021 at 5:40:51 PM permalink
Quote: unJon

link to original post

There you go. And it does sound fun. I was just posting to point out that a 25 cent line is worse than a 10 cent line (and more than “barely”!)
link to original post

I'm a don't player at craps. Laying -110, -125, isnt a big deal to me if there's value.

Ive laid -400 on money line favorites Ive felt were 99.9% winners.
redietz
redietz
  • Threads: 49
October 10th, 2021 at 9:34:20 PM permalink
I've played the single game football, not head-to-head, but in the usual type tournaments. Interestingly, I do better in single game than in the usual full roster tournaments. I suspect that has to do with the cartels having to spread in the single game format so as to assure themselves the top prizes, so it becomes easier for a vanilla lineup to cash because the cartels cover some pretty avant-garde stuff to assure themselves the top prizes.

I think the problem with the assigned vs. "a random" is that as the stakes go up, you wind up playing against either people who really know what they're doing or programs with a history of generating optimal rosters to win head-to-heads.

I don't play very much because the problem with FanDuel tournaments, which you circumvent in some ways by doing head-to-head, is that it isn't all that tough to cash, but as in poker tournaments, the money is so weighted to the top few spots that you spin your wheels just doubling or tripling your money if you finish in the top 20% to 10%. The money is too top heavy for my taste. Plus I'm not a big fantasy fan. I did a short piece about fantasy sports back in July.

https://theskepticalgambler.blogspot.com/2021/07/when-fantasy-goes-bad.html
"You can't breathe dead hippo waking, sleeping, and eating, and at the same time keep your precarious grip on existence."
mwalz9
mwalz9
October 11th, 2021 at 8:06:41 AM permalink
Quote: redietz

I've played the single game football, not head-to-head, but in the usual type tournaments. Interestingly, I do better in single game than in the usual full roster tournaments. I suspect that has to do with the cartels having to spread in the single game format so as to assure themselves the top prizes, so it becomes easier for a vanilla lineup to cash because the cartels cover some pretty avant-garde stuff to assure themselves the top prizes.

I think the problem with the assigned vs. "a random" is that as the stakes go up, you wind up playing against either people who really know what they're doing or programs with a history of generating optimal rosters to win head-to-heads.

I don't play very much because the problem with FanDuel tournaments, which you circumvent in some ways by doing head-to-head, is that it isn't all that tough to cash, but as in poker tournaments, the money is so weighted to the top few spots that you spin your wheels just doubling or tripling your money if you finish in the top 20% to 10%. The money is too top heavy for my taste. Plus I'm not a big fantasy fan. I did a short piece about fantasy sports back in July.

https://theskepticalgambler.blogspot.com/2021/07/when-fantasy-goes-bad.html
link to original post

I agree with you 100%. I stick to head to head, single game, small stakes prizes in the "Experienced Players Excluded" section. It's nearly impossible to win one of those bigger tournaments. Basically a lottery.

• Jump to: