TumblingBones
TumblingBones
  • Threads: 29
June 6th, 2020 at 11:03:00 AM permalink
I got to thinking that of all the sports that can be bet on, golfing might be the most tractable to analysis by some sort of AI/ML system. Anybody know a good source of detailed (i.e., hole-by-hole) data? The only stuff I saw when searching on-line gave either tournament results (i.e., who won and by how many strokes) or stats like average driving distance. I'm thinking about looking at performance on each specific hole of every major tournament.
My goal of being well informed conflicts with my goal of remaining sane.
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 86
June 6th, 2020 at 11:15:24 AM permalink
I was once looking for in depth PGA tour player stats and could not find what I was looking for. If you just want player hole by hole data that is definitely out there. I was looking for club selection on a shot by shot basis and couldn;t find it. One of the most important things about golf hadicapping is understanding the golf courses. If you haven't already you need to study each golf course for its particular traits.
At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.
TumblingBones
TumblingBones
  • Threads: 29
June 6th, 2020 at 12:01:08 PM permalink
Quote: DRich

I was once looking for in depth PGA tour player stats and could not find what I was looking for. If you just want player hole by hole data that is definitely out there. I was looking for club selection on a shot by shot basis and couldn;t find it. One of the most important things about golf hadicapping is understanding the golf courses. If you haven't already you need to study each golf course for its particular traits.

I wasn't going to worry about club selection but I definitely agree about the need to understand each hole of each course. I figured I could run the overhead images from Google Maps thru a ML classifier and then combine that with some 3D terrain data.
My goal of being well informed conflicts with my goal of remaining sane.
ThatDonGuy
ThatDonGuy
  • Threads: 117
June 6th, 2020 at 2:24:33 PM permalink
Both ESPN and golf.com have hole-by-hole scores from each PGA tournament (plus the (British) Open Championship) for the past few years. However, neither one seems to have an easy way of showing more than one round at a time for any particular golfer.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
  • Threads: 122
Thanked by
Taxreform
June 6th, 2020 at 2:35:15 PM permalink
It looks like you are looking for valuable information, as opposed to just relation to par. Some players, especially the better, well established ones, play much tougher courses on average. Meaning if Tiger Woods and J.T. Poston both average 69.5 over the course of a season, Tiger is probably 5-6 strokes better in a 4 round tournament.
  • Jump to: