Thread Rating:

Mission146
Mission146
  • Threads: 120
December 6th, 2019 at 12:50:21 PM permalink
Quote: DRich

I don't think that is the case. Pittsburgh has very good players on defense that carries the team. The offense has been bad and must rely on the defense for points and turnovers. But I think we should all root for a non-drafted QB from Samford named "Duck".

I agree with SOOPOO on this one.

For one thing, Tomlin is and has always been considered a defensive-minded coach, so it's fair to say that it is his strength in this regard that is carrying the team because the defense has been outstanding.

More than that, being down to your second-string QB is not ideal. Third-string is worse. Undrafted dude who didn't even start the season signed to a team is even worse than that! More than that, it's usually not considered ideal for half of your offensive skill players to come from your practice squad...much less the practice squads of other teams.

The one criticism of Mike Tomlin has always been that he has been able to coast by on high-end offensive talent. Not this year. The fake Steelers fans have to eat a nice heaping plate of crow now. I'm a Patriots fan, but I've always been an ardent supporter and defender of Mike Tomlin.
Vultures can't be choosers.
unJon
unJon
  • Threads: 10
Thanks for this post from:
Mission146AZDuffman
December 6th, 2019 at 1:31:52 PM permalink
Quote: Mission146

For one thing, Tomlin is and has always been considered a defensive-minded coach, so it's fair to say that it is his strength in this regard that is carrying the team because the defense has been outstanding.

More than that, being down to your second-string QB is not ideal. Third-string is worse. Undrafted dude who didn't even start the season signed to a team is even worse than that! More than that, it's usually not considered ideal for half of your offensive skill players to come from your practice squad...much less the practice squads of other teams.

The one criticism of Mike Tomlin has always been that he has been able to coast by on high-end offensive talent. Not this year. The fake Steelers fans have to eat a nice heaping plate of crow now. I'm a Patriots fan, but I've always been an ardent supporter and defender of Mike Tomlin.

Mike Tomlin is a great player coach and he gets the most from them. But I and many other Steeler fans I know canít stand his clock management and ability to blow a lead. You have to understand that we were used to Cowher, who had a ridiculous record of not blowing a lead.
The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong; but that is the way to bet.
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 69
December 6th, 2019 at 7:41:58 PM permalink
Quote: unJon

Mike Tomlin is a great player coach and he gets the most from them. But I and many other Steeler fans I know canít stand his clock management and ability to blow a lead. You have to understand that we were used to Cowher, who had a ridiculous record of not blowing a lead.

I would say Tomlin is one of the worst in game coaches in the league.
Living longer does not always infer +EV
michael99000
michael99000
  • Threads: 9
December 6th, 2019 at 9:32:00 PM permalink
Quote: DRich

I would say Tomlin is one of the worst in game coaches in the league.

Iíd go with Matt Patricia in Detroit. Shurmur with the giants is bad too. Tomlin is right there with those two though.
RS
RS
  • Threads: 62
December 6th, 2019 at 9:41:55 PM permalink
Quote: AxelWolf

Yeah, but what if he's a cactus killer?

Michael Vick would never do something so bad as killing a cactus.
01000101 01110000 01110011 01110100 01100101 01101001 01101110 00100000 01100100 01101001 01100100 01101110 00100111 01110100 00100000 01101011 01101001 01101100 01101100 00100000 01101000 01101001 01101101 01110011 01100101 01101100 01100110 00101110
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
  • Threads: 219
December 7th, 2019 at 5:48:58 AM permalink

That was my complaint from the start. Cowher put his boot on your neck when he was ahead. Blew what, 1.5 of 110 big leads in his time?

I cannot remember any team playing as far above their talent as this years Steeler squad, it has to catch up with them sooner or later. Indy should have beaten them. Every win save one has been by a whisker. Cleveland owned them the first half then seemed intent on giving the game away.

Longer term you have to wonder how much tine Ben has left, because after he retires they appear to be the Steelers of the mid-80s.
Tolerance is the virtue of believing in nothing
GWAE
GWAE
  • Threads: 92
December 7th, 2019 at 5:54:44 AM permalink
Quote: AZDuffman

That was my complaint from the start. Cowher put his boot on your neck when he was ahead. Blew what, 1.5 of 110 big leads in his time?

I cannot remember any team playing as far above their talent as this years Steeler squad, it has to catch up with them sooner or later. Indy should have beaten them. Every win save one has been by a whisker. Cleveland owned them the first half then seemed intent on giving the game away.

Longer term you have to wonder how much tine Ben has left, because after he retires they appear to be the Steelers of the mid-80s.

He also had Bettis. I don't think Tomlin has had a running back that could run the clock at the end. Although this year Snell seems like he could turn into something very good.

Tomlin is definitely the worst 2 min coach that I have ever seen. I am not sure he understands what timeout are. His record on challenges is also crazy terrible. He will challenge something that no one things will overturn and misses challenges on clear cut screw ups.
Expect the worst and you will never be disappointed. I AM NOT PART OF GWAE RADIO SHOW
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
December 7th, 2019 at 6:15:29 AM permalink
Quote: GWAE

He also had Bettis. I don't think Tomlin has had a running back that could run the clock at the end. Although this year Snell seems like he could turn into something very good.

Tomlin is definitely the worst 2 min coach that I have ever seen. I am not sure he understands what timeout are. His record on challenges is also crazy terrible. He will challenge something that no one things will overturn and misses challenges on clear cut screw ups.

No Bettis, but you have to find a new Bettis. Even a Hoge. Players come, players go, coaches have to keep recruiting and drafting them.

To give some balance, the entire NFL seems to be forgetting about running the ball. But if the Steelers do somehow back into the playoffs it will be a very good bet against them. Meantime let the outdoor stores make some cash selling duck calls.
GWAE
GWAE
  • Threads: 92
December 7th, 2019 at 7:18:42 AM permalink
Quote: AZDuffman

No Bettis, but you have to find a new Bettis. Even a Hoge. Players come, players go, coaches have to keep recruiting and drafting them.

To give some balance, the entire NFL seems to be forgetting about running the ball. But if the Steelers do somehow back into the playoffs it will be a very good bet against them. Meantime let the outdoor stores make some cash selling duck calls.

I took them last week $50 to win superbowl at 120/1. I think they will get into the playoffs and then I plan on hedging away because I think there is no way in hell they win SB. Only thing I am not sure about is will they be such large underdogs that it will make a hedge tough. Although if they happen to be better than I think and run the table the last 4 games the odds for each game may work well for a hedge

Eta: this bet was not being a homer. I think it was the longest shot for any teams that had a good chance to make the playoffs.
Expect the worst and you will never be disappointed. I AM NOT PART OF GWAE RADIO SHOW
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
December 7th, 2019 at 7:45:59 AM permalink
Quote: GWAE

I took them last week $50 to win superbowl at 120/1. I think they will get into the playoffs and then I plan on hedging away because I think there is no way in hell they win SB. Only thing I am not sure about is will they be such large underdogs that it will make a hedge tough. Although if they happen to be better than I think and run the table the last 4 games the odds for each game may work well for a hedge

Eta: this bet was not being a homer. I think it was the longest shot for any teams that had a good chance to make the playoffs.

Not a bad hedge, but if they make the playoffs I see them as a #6 seed that gets blown into next week the opening round.

• Jump to: