DRich
DRich
Joined: Jul 6, 2012
  • Threads: 66
  • Posts: 4409
February 16th, 2019 at 6:04:20 PM permalink
Quote: TomG

Probably never going to find much good stuff in this area. Sports talk is 90% crap as it is -- but through sheer volume of content, even with just 10% of the content being good, there will always be something worth listening to. The guys who are good know not to stick around on one topic too much. Devoting an entire show to one small area of the sports world is just asking for repetition at best, likely devolving into meaningless drivel very quickly. Sports talk radio in Las Vegas has a lot of good segments on sports betting. But the key is that it is only a couple of 15 minutes riffs or interviews over a three hour show.



My favorite segments are with the sports book directors.
Living longer does not always infer +EV
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
Joined: Nov 2, 2009
  • Threads: 216
  • Posts: 10186
February 17th, 2019 at 5:05:01 AM permalink
Quote: DRich

My favorite segments are with the sports book directors.



Too bad Rosenthal is dead.....
Tolerance is the virtue of believing in nothing
Gialmere
Gialmere
Joined: Nov 26, 2018
  • Threads: 21
  • Posts: 434
February 20th, 2019 at 4:37:52 PM permalink
I see that Turner Broadcasting will be building a TV studio right inside the sports book at Caesars Palace to "create shows or video aimed at those gamblers" in order to "capitalize on the burgeoning growth of sports betting". Do any of you Vegas dwellers have a Caesars scoop?
Have you tried 22 tonight? I said 22.
Rigondeaux
Rigondeaux
Joined: Aug 18, 2014
  • Threads: 23
  • Posts: 1908
February 20th, 2019 at 7:02:15 PM permalink
Quote: TomG

Sports talk radio in Las Vegas has a lot of good segments on sports betting. w.



If so, I never hear them.

There are a couple shows I enjoy but I can barely listen to the gambling segments.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
Joined: Nov 2, 2009
  • Threads: 216
  • Posts: 10186
April 3rd, 2019 at 11:56:02 AM permalink
For those looking for their sports betting podcast.....


I have been listening to "Gamble On" which is not just sports betting but sports betting news, some gaming news, and actual picks. It is pretty good listening, out once or twice a week. They have had a few interesting insights, like take the dog in the first half in the NCAA tourney as the favorite will take some time to figure them out and their coach will get on them at the halftime locker room break. I didn't hear results on the one, but that is the kind of discussion I was talking about when I started the thread.

They seem to be based in the Philly/AC area, so talk centers more on PA/NJ books than Vegas/NV. Their news segments are about this area because this is the part of the country where sports betting and online poker are changing weekly here. They have their own "bank" they are betting, which includes things like Academy Award props. They state the bets they will place and the status of the bank. That part is more fun than educational.

If you do podcasts give it a listen.
Tolerance is the virtue of believing in nothing
TomG
TomG
Joined: Sep 26, 2010
  • Threads: 9
  • Posts: 1652
April 3rd, 2019 at 5:29:48 PM permalink
Quote: AZDuffman

It is pretty good listening, out once or twice a week. They have had a few interesting insights, like take the dog in the first half in the NCAA tourney as the favorite will take some time to figure them out and their coach will get on them at the halftime locker room break. I didn't hear results on the one, but that is the kind of discussion I was talking about when I started the thread.



Be very wary of any theory without data. The example of bets they say are good lose very often (and often for the exact reasons they talk about). I made a lot of money betting favorites in first half on teams that had sufficient intrinsic motivation as well as basketball skills that could be generalized to unfamiliar opponents.

The same is also true for data without theory. My favorite is all the data that shows playing basketball makes people taller.

I'll check it out and give it a chance.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
Joined: Nov 2, 2009
  • Threads: 216
  • Posts: 10186
April 4th, 2019 at 2:36:47 AM permalink
Quote: TomG

Be very wary of any theory without data. The example of bets they say are good lose very often (and often for the exact reasons they talk about). I made a lot of money betting favorites in first half on teams that had sufficient intrinsic motivation as well as basketball skills that could be generalized to unfamiliar opponents.

The same is also true for data without theory. My favorite is all the data that shows playing basketball makes people taller.

I'll check it out and give it a chance.



They usually give some data and history, but thankfully just enough to be entertaining not so much that they sound like some hedge fund quant guy. That's the thing about sports betting, numbers go so far, but each game is played by humans so you have to account different than cards or dice of a ball falling randomly.
Tolerance is the virtue of believing in nothing

  • Jump to: