5 votes (26.31%)
5 votes (26.31%)

19 members have voted

RS
RS
  • Threads: 62
January 29th, 2019 at 10:31:15 PM permalink
Quote: Wizard

I can't argue with that. I always thought their uniforms were ugly, but I have to support any Los Angeles team, except the Angels.

Anaheim* Angels
# Свободный Натан
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1223
January 30th, 2019 at 12:28:15 AM permalink
Quote: djatc

Also the chargers

Of course! I like them better.
It's not whether you win or lose; it's whether or not you had a good bet.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1223
January 30th, 2019 at 12:29:25 AM permalink
Quote: RS

Anaheim* Angels

No. I disowned them when they became the "Los Angeles Angels at Anaheim." Biggest insult to Orange County ever. Absolutely unforgivable.
It's not whether you win or lose; it's whether or not you had a good bet.
Face
Administrator
Face
  • Threads: 49
Thanks for this post from:
jetermacawodiousgambitAyecarumba
January 30th, 2019 at 6:23:45 AM permalink

Is it just me or does there not seem to be much enthusiasm for the Super Bowl this year?

I stopped watching foosball obsessively when Marino retired. I kept watching for a bit, but stopped completely when I gave up TV 7 years ago. Just this year I started watching weekly again... and it's just trash. I hardly recognized what I was watching and spent every game asking for an explanation for the rules.

Defense has been reduced to two hand touch, unless it's Tom Brady, in which case laying all ten fingers on his person results in jail time. You can't tackle anyone due to fear he may move and a part of you might skin his dome, and every 3rd and long is a gimme first down to any franchise QB, who can just heave toward the heavens and wait for the flag. Any and every bit of heart and toughness has been removed, and it's become nothing but a bit of a group participation until, for reasons still unknown to me, something happens to trigger a GD dance troupe to erupt and perform theatrics. Why does every play end in some pose straight out of a late 70's rap group's album cover? Why is there time given for an entire team to run together to an end zone to perform a dance number? Any coach I've ever had would literally beat my ass if I attempted a mote of what I see on TV today.

It's ridiculous. An absolute clown show.
The opinions of this moderator are for entertainment purposes only.
MrV
MrV
  • Threads: 310
January 30th, 2019 at 8:06:03 AM permalink
Face, the NFL had to do SOMETHING due to the concussion issue.

There is no question that football tears people up and chews them out due to the violent hitting involved.

It makes sense to take steps to try to protect the players while still keeping the game going.

Yeah, the new rules and resultant penalties slow the game down but I understand and can accept the need for this sort of thing.

Let's just not wind up with flag football.
"What, me worry?"
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 154
January 30th, 2019 at 10:08:38 AM permalink
Late 70s rap groups? Wow.
Face
Administrator
Face
  • Threads: 49
January 30th, 2019 at 10:49:04 AM permalink
Quote: billryan

Late 70s rap groups? Wow.

Compare any TD (or int, or, hell, even a simple tackle for a loss) to an album cover of Kool and the Gang, Grandmaster Flash and the Furious 5, or Doug E Fresh and the Get Fresh Crew. Buncha dudes lined up in different poses, hamming for the camera. After living through the Jim Browne era, the Walter Payton era, the Barry Sanders era, the Emmitt Smith era, you don't find it a little odd and off-putting?

I sure as hell do, and I find it quite offensive. Perhaps we were just raised differently.

Use to be such idiocy was met with a shot to the mouth; remember TO on the Dallas star? Now they make time for it. Kids seem to love it. I find it to be trash.

Quote: MrV

There is no question that football tears people up and chews them out due to the violent hitting involved.

It makes sense to take steps to try to protect the players while still keeping the game going.

Yeah, the new rules and resultant penalties slow the game down but I understand and can accept the need for this sort of thing.

Do doubt and no argument. Were I a god I'd damn the NFL, not for the injuries, but DEFINITELY for their damnable coverup of CTE findings. That is an offense for which I'd levy billion dollar fines and to hell with whether NFL could survive or not. Kind of disgusted nothing ever really come from that.

But I do feel you could've kept to purity just by lessening the gear. Dress more like rugby/lacrosse and you wouldn't have folks so eager to transform into a 200lb, 20mph human projectiles. But I'm not Goodell, and we thank the good lord for that.

Oh well. It's just entertainment. No great loss.
The opinions of this moderator are for entertainment purposes only.
Keeneone
Keeneone
  • Threads: 13
January 30th, 2019 at 3:30:28 PM permalink
Quote: MrV

I heard or read or watched something recently about the biggest threat to all contact Football. It wasn't cheating, touchdown dances, anthem issues, refs, salary cap, publicly funded stadiums, Tom Brady, or PEDs. It was obtaining insurance to cover the league and players. Workers comp and health insurance including coverage of spinal/brain injuries. I believe there is currently only one insurer willing to take on the risk for the NFL currently. So yes, something had to be done and the game has changed because of it.
Nathan
Nathan
  • Threads: 65
February 1st, 2019 at 6:55:37 PM permalink

Is it just me or does there not seem to be much enthusiasm for the Super Bowl this year?

I noticed the lack of enthusiasm too. But look who's playing. The RAMS. The Rams aren't as good as say Dallas Cowboys. A Superbowl that would draw even less enthusiasm than The Patriots VS The Rams is The Rams vs The Raiders. What a complete snoozefest that SB would be!
In both The Hunger Games and in gambling, may the odds be ever in your favor. :D "Man Babes" #AxelFabulous "Olive oil is processed but it only has one ingredient, olive oil."-Even Bob, March 27/28th. :D The 2 year war is over! Woo-hoo! :D I sometimes speak in metaphors. ;) Remember this. ;) Crack the code. :D 8.9.13.25.14.1.13.5.9.19.14.1.20.8.1.14! :D "For about the 4096th time, let me offer a radical idea to those of you who don't like Nathan -- block her and don't visit Nathan's Corner. What is so complicated about it?" Wizard, August 21st. :D
RS
RS
  • Threads: 62
February 4th, 2019 at 6:08:02 PM permalink
Quote: Romes

Whom just gives those kinds of odds away?!?!

How much? I guess if you're willing to leave the line open we can just discuss in person?

Let the record show Romes still wouldn’t make a wager with me even when I was offering such generous odds (1.2-for-1 on team of his choosing). ;-)
# Свободный Натан

• Jump to: