terapined
terapined
Joined: Dec 1, 2012
  • Threads: 79
  • Posts: 5325
July 12th, 2018 at 9:40:47 AM permalink
Quote: lilredrooster

Oakley had to be pulling down at least a million per year during many of his best years and he's going to cheat Vegas so he doesn't lose $100?

that pill is hard to swallow



Career has been over for 14 years
Most are broke regardless of how much they made in the NBA
"Everybody's bragging and drinking that wine, I can tell the Queen of Diamonds by the way she shines, Come to Daddy on an inside straight, I got no chance of losing this time" -Grateful Dead- "Loser"
billryan
billryan 
Joined: Nov 2, 2009
  • Threads: 172
  • Posts: 9609
July 12th, 2018 at 9:49:05 AM permalink
Oakley has a prior history where he sued Aria over being beat up and detained by multiple security agents. He's also banned for life from Madison Square Garden. Bad luck seemingly follows his path.
Boz
Boz
Joined: Sep 22, 2011
  • Threads: 154
  • Posts: 5701
July 12th, 2018 at 9:49:37 AM permalink
Quote: terapined

Career has been over for 14 years
Most are broke regardless of how much they made in the NBA



Many donít realize they have to change their lifestyles when the money stops coming in.
billryan
billryan 
Joined: Nov 2, 2009
  • Threads: 172
  • Posts: 9609
July 12th, 2018 at 9:52:52 AM permalink
While a Knick, Oak had his hands in several businesses and has served as a mentor for new players as far as investment s and portfolio building.
I'd be very surprised if he isn't thriving in retirement.
Mission146
Mission146
Joined: May 15, 2012
  • Threads: 123
  • Posts: 12840
Thanks for this post from:
Chuckleberry
July 12th, 2018 at 10:05:24 AM permalink
Quote: billryan

While a Knick, Oak had his hands in several businesses and has served as a mentor for new players as far as investment s and portfolio building.
I'd be very surprised if he isn't thriving in retirement.



Granted, we're dealing in speculation here...but, if he's doing very well and is comfortable in retirement, why be betting $100 whether pastposting, or not?

I know I can't speak for everyone, but if you give me five million right now, the rest of my life will be spent comfortably drinking, drinking, playing golf and drinking.
Vultures can't be choosers.
billryan
billryan 
Joined: Nov 2, 2009
  • Threads: 172
  • Posts: 9609
Thanks for this post from:
Mission146
July 12th, 2018 at 10:29:01 AM permalink
Quote: Mission146

Granted, we're dealing in speculation here...but, if he's doing very well and is comfortable in retirement, why be betting $100 whether pastposting, or not?

I know I can't speak for everyone, but if you give me five million right now, the rest of my life will be spent comfortably drinking, drinking, playing golf and drinking.



When my cousin was a young NYC Transit cop he was watching a subway turnstile and a well dressed guy looked him in the eye and jumped the gate, illegally entering the subway. My cousin stopped him and the guy got jumpy with him so he cuffed him and called for backup. Guy had a couple of kilos of coke and a sub machine gun in his bag, and hundreds of dollars in cash on him.
People can be jerks.
AxelWolf
AxelWolf
Joined: Oct 10, 2012
  • Threads: 146
  • Posts: 18246
July 12th, 2018 at 12:11:17 PM permalink
Quote: billryan

When my cousin was a young NYC Transit cop he was watching a subway turnstile and a well dressed guy looked him in the eye and jumped the gate, illegally entering the subway. My cousin stopped him and the guy got jumpy with him so he cuffed him and called for backup. Guy had a couple of kilos of coke and a sub machine gun in his bag, and hundreds of dollars in cash on him.
People can be jerks.

?
♪♪Now you swear and kick and beg us That you're not a gamblin' man Then you find you're back in Vegas With a handle in your hand♪♪ Your black cards can make you money So you hide them when you're able In the land of casinos and money You must put them on the table♪♪ You go back Jack do it again roulette wheels turinin' 'round and 'round♪♪ You go back Jack do it again♪♪
WatchMeWin
WatchMeWin
Joined: May 20, 2011
  • Threads: 105
  • Posts: 1636
July 12th, 2018 at 12:41:06 PM permalink
Quote: billryan

While a Knick, Oak had his hands in several businesses and has served as a mentor for new players as far as investment s and portfolio building.
I'd be very surprised if he isn't thriving in retirement.



Even if he had some sound Investments back in the day they can be wiped out very quickly with bad Investments and bad gambling.... and bad gambling... And of course more bad gambling.

I was at the Borgata years ago and met Oakley and I can tell you he was an absolute jerk, c%÷×sucker, and arrogant a hole. You all know I am a big believer in karma and energy and it doesn't surprise me to see what has happened to him. I don't wish ill upon anyone but I don't feel bad for the idiot.
'Winners hit n run... Losers stick around'
Romes
Romes 
Joined: Jul 22, 2014
  • Threads: 27
  • Posts: 5490
July 12th, 2018 at 12:55:49 PM permalink
I've been informed by Bruce that we've played with Charles Oakley a few times (a couple years back - I didn't recall). So, cool.
Playing it correctly means you've already won.
WatchMeWin
WatchMeWin
Joined: May 20, 2011
  • Threads: 105
  • Posts: 1636
July 12th, 2018 at 1:11:37 PM permalink
Quote: Romes

I've been informed by Bruce that we've played with Charles Oakley a few times (a couple years back - I didn't recall). So, cool.



You were informed by someone else that you played with Oakley and now you recall he was cool?
'Winners hit n run... Losers stick around'

  • Jump to: