NokTang
NokTang
  • Threads: 56
December 27th, 2017 at 8:54:07 PM permalink
Quote: horse

All of the jockeying around and what-ifs are interesting to read, but doesn't it all once again feel like an exercise in futility when all is said and done, as the damn Patriots sit by and watch/wait to snatch the title one more time?

After a year in which idiot footballers nearly ruined the game with their disrespectful, foolish protests, fans deserve more than the Boring Bill and Brady show.

Coach Don Shula labeled Bill "Bellicheat" and it goes without saying, they have cheated their way to greatness. People I suppose like to root against cheaters like Bellicheat and Brady? Latest is grabbing the Pittsburgh linebacker to get inside information of the Steelers. Disgusting. They both will lose some Hall of Fame votes for their antics but of course, still great in the big picture.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
  • Threads: 191
December 28th, 2017 at 3:16:49 AM permalink
anybody who thinks the Pats are a lock or even an almost sure thing to win the Super Bowl is badly mistaken. They are tough competitors but after 2005 they have only won it only 2 times. 2 out of 12. This suggests that according to Oddsshark's quoting of Bovada the Pats are +240 to win it all and this means they are a very bad bet and a person can find good bets betting against them.

http://www.oddsshark.com/super-bowl/futures
"𝘣𝘦𝘭𝘪𝘦𝘷𝘦 𝘩𝘢𝘭𝘧 𝘰𝘧 𝘸𝘩𝘢𝘵 𝘺𝘰𝘶 𝘴𝘦𝘦 𝘢𝘯𝘥 𝘯𝘰𝘯𝘦 𝘰𝘧 𝘸𝘩𝘢𝘵 𝘺𝘰𝘶 𝘩𝘦𝘢𝘳"______Edgar Allan Poe
horse
horse
  • Threads: 0
December 28th, 2017 at 3:24:06 AM permalink
Quote: NokTang

Coach Don Shula labeled Bill "Bellicheat" and it goes without saying, they have cheated their way to greatness. People I suppose like to root against cheaters like Bellicheat and Brady? Latest is grabbing the Pittsburgh linebacker to get inside information of the Steelers. Disgusting. They both will lose some Hall of Fame votes for their antics but of course, still great in the big picture.

I don't see the Harrison signing as an intelligence-gathering move. Pats don't need it, they've always handled the Steelers without it. Could be as simple as having been depleted at that position.

Cheated their way to greatness? Very loose-fitting. Nothing blatant, most of which is denied. Deflategate was a joke. If it weren't NE no one would care.

You don't "cheat" your way to appearing in 7 SB's, with championships 10 years apart on teams with receivers turnovers constantly being sky high.

I'm pulling for the Ravens this time around. Like with the Yankees, it's time for a new face.
beachbumbabs
Administrator
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 99
December 28th, 2017 at 4:18:27 AM permalink
Skol, Vikings! Shocking how well they've rallied around new leadership during the season.

Would love to see them be the first team to play a Superbowl in their home stadium.
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
TomG
TomG
  • Threads: 16
Thanks for this post from:
Hunterhill
December 28th, 2017 at 9:12:13 AM permalink

it goes without saying, they have cheated their way to greatness.

If their cheating was really such a driving force why do you choose to describe all their winning as "greatness." If you really believed letting some air out of footballs in a game they won 45-10 was what caused all their Super Bowl wins, you wouldn't be using the term "greatness." If the cheating is all it takes to be the best, why haven't any of the other 31 teams done the same things and won just as much? If it really was a sense of integrity, honesty, and fairness, then all it would take is for one other team to break ranks and play unfairly and they too would have five Super Bowl wins. Since no one else can match the success of the Patriots, the only possible answer I can see they do it so much better than everyone else. Which means there is no possible way the Patriots "greatness" has been achieved by anything other than complete competence and being superior to the competition.

Latest is grabbing the Pittsburgh linebacker to get inside information of the Steelers. Disgusting.

Expect the Patriots have fines, suspensions, and lose draft picks over this one. And if not that, then just expect a few people to make completely stupid comments. If this is what people consider cheating, then that is shows clearly that any talk of cheating just shows how little their "cheating" has mattered.
TomG
TomG
  • Threads: 16
December 28th, 2017 at 9:15:57 AM permalink
Quote: GWAE

It is easy to figure out. Take the playoff spots available, then take the top wild card teams and there you have it. If they are listed as a wild card right now that means they control their own destiny. It is possibe for lower ranked teams to make it but it means they win out and then get others to lose.

Not always that easy. A few years ago there were three AFC teams tied at 8-7. None of them were able to win and make the playoffs without help from other games:

https://www.si.com/nfl/audibles/2013/12/22/afc-wild-card-scenarios-week-17

It's always baffled me how people (perhaps only Americans) are so bothered by the idea of playing 60 minutes and calling the game a tie, but perfectly OK having the teams play for four months and if things are still tied just use some arbitrary and convoluted formula to decide who is declared the "winner"
Mission146
Mission146
  • Threads: 133
December 28th, 2017 at 10:07:57 AM permalink
Quote: TomG

Expect the Patriots have fines, suspensions, and lose draft picks over this one. And if not that, then just expect a few people to make completely stupid comments. If this is what people consider cheating, then that is shows clearly that any talk of cheating just shows how little their "cheating" has mattered.

I don't want to say, 'Stupid,' comment, but it certainly baffled me. I don't see how, in any world, picking up a free agent could ever qualify as cheating. If the Steelers didn't want the Pats to potentially snatch up Harrison, then they could remedy that situation by, I don't know, not releasing him in the first place, I guess.

This is far from the first time the Pats have picked up someone let go by the Steelers, the most notable recent example was RB LeGarrette Blount, or as I like to call him, "Smokin' Blount," who served the Pats very well for the remainder of that, as well as the next couple of, seasons.
https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/off-topic/gripes/11182-pet-peeves/120/#post815219
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
  • Threads: 229
December 28th, 2017 at 11:12:41 AM permalink
Quote: TomG

It's always baffled me how people (perhaps only Americans) are so bothered by the idea of playing 60 minutes and calling the game a tie, but perfectly OK having the teams play for four months and if things are still tied just use some arbitrary and convoluted formula to decide who is declared the "winner"

Other than the last level coin flip. I would not call any of the NFL tiebreakers "arbitrary." Head to head is pretty simple. Teams know the division games they need to win. Ditto conference. I remember 1992. The NFC was killing the AFC. The Bills would always beat the NFC in the regular season, making their fans say they were "better."

The Bills tied the Dolphins in wins, but had to go the wild card route. They had beaten the Steelers in the regular season but had to play away since the Steelers won their division. Problem was the Bills won the "wrong" games. Bills fans were upset, but the rules were clear.
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
horse
horse
  • Threads: 0
December 28th, 2017 at 11:18:24 AM permalink
Quote: lilredrooster

anybody who thinks the Pats are a lock or even an almost sure thing to win the Super Bowl is badly mistaken. They are tough competitors but after 2005 they have only won it only 2 times. 2 out of 12. This suggests that according to Oddsshark's quoting of Bovada the Pats are +240 to win it all and this means they are a very bad bet and a person can find good bets betting against them.

Won it ONLY 2 times and were in it FOUR since 2005? With the same QB who won it THREE times prior?

No no one's a lock. But aside from where the good bets are there is no team more likely to do it over and over.
Rigondeaux
Rigondeaux
  • Threads: 30
December 28th, 2017 at 11:25:01 AM permalink
Quote: lilredrooster

You can take the other side on 5d, I'm pretty sure. Maybe some other places.

Better still, you could probably find someone here to take a bet and neither of you pay juice.

• Jump to: