mkl654321
mkl654321
  • Threads: 65
September 18th, 2010 at 5:36:18 PM permalink
There are many more than two, but these are the foremost reasons:

Massacres. The early part of the season, in particular, is filled with them. They're not interesting to watch, cannot possibly be fun to play if you're on the side getting slaughtered, and are largely pointless. It's a bit unsportsmanlike to put up a score of 72-0. Case in point: our local university team is hosting Remedial Tech right this moment. They are up by eight touchdowns. They are DRIVING FOR ANOTHER SCORE, and the first team is still in!!!

Of course, I realize the reason for the unsportsmanlike massacres is the national ranking poll, which is my second reason to hate college football. Can you imagine ANY other sport where all the teams in the country play, and then a bunch of sportswriters get together and VOTE on who wins??? What an utter farce!

The tuition at our university just went up by 22%, but hey, we've got a shiny new $250 million big building for "student athletes" (what an oxymoron) to study in, and a $750 million new stadium is being built for them to play in, so at least they've got their priorities straight--what makes a university great is ITS FOOTBALL TEAM.
The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one. The happiness of credulity is a cheap and dangerous quality.---George Bernard Shaw
mrjjj
mrjjj
  • Threads: 75
September 18th, 2010 at 5:48:34 PM permalink
Is it ok if I post here, is that cool? I LOVE college football (and basketball). More games to choose from and the players (IMO) give more effort than the NFL guys. NFL guys are nothin but punks. I'm watching the ND game as I type! Ken
Calder
Calder
  • Threads: 5
September 18th, 2010 at 9:20:51 PM permalink
Agreed. They just fill some time until the NHL season starts.

By the way.....

Quote: mkl654321

Two primary reasons why I hate college football

Two primary reasons? Gotcha!
FinsRule
FinsRule
  • Threads: 128
September 18th, 2010 at 9:43:58 PM permalink
I want hockey to start!!!
mkl654321
mkl654321
  • Threads: 65
September 19th, 2010 at 12:18:41 AM permalink
Quote: Calder

Agreed. They just fill some time until the NHL season starts.

By the way.....

Two primary reasons? Gotcha!

There can be two (or more) if each reason is of equal importance, and either (or both) is most important, i.e., tied for first place.
The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one. The happiness of credulity is a cheap and dangerous quality.---George Bernard Shaw
Mosca
Mosca
  • Threads: 191
September 19th, 2010 at 6:52:59 AM permalink
Quote: mrjjj

Is it ok if I post here, is that cool? I LOVE college football (and basketball). More games to choose from and the players (IMO) give more effort than the NFL guys. NFL guys are nothin but punks. I'm watching the ND game as I type! Ken

Is it OK if I partially agree with mrjjj? I am a died in the wool NFL fan, but I'd rather go to a college game any time; the game day aura is unbelievable, and I'm a tailgating vet going back more than 30 years. Attending a college game is like going back in time; only the clothes and the cars have changed, the mood and the atmosphere is timeless. (I'll disagree on the cynicism, from what I know of the pros, as individuals they try plenty hard; some teams just aren't coached well enough.)

That ND/Michigan State game, man that tore our hearts out here in Moscaland. Our hats are off to State for a gutsy, deserved victory, but that doesn't make it easier.

Oh, and I don't bet sports. It would be a sad day in the Mosca house if I ever started sports betting, or internet gambling.
A falling knife has no handle.
odiousgambit
odiousgambit
  • Threads: 326
September 19th, 2010 at 8:19:36 AM permalink
Perhaps I am quite alone in being scandalized by how College Football has become Professional Sports. If you can stomach the kind of stuff that goes on... the Reggie Bush business being a good example... then you have a strong stomach indeed
the next time Dame Fortune toys with your heart, your soul and your wallet, raise your glass and praise her thus: “Thanks for nothing, you cold-hearted, evil, damnable, nefarious, low-life, malicious monster from Hell!”   She is, after all, stone deaf. ... Arnold Snyder
  • Jump to: