Gabes22
Gabes22
  • Threads: 14
November 10th, 2015 at 4:03:58 PM permalink
Just like the title suggests. New Yorkers can no longer do daily fantasy sports. Regardless of what you think about whether these games are gambling and whether or not they should be considered legal, do you think this ruling will have a snowball effect nationwide?

Personally I think the momentum is growing to allowing legalized sports gambling nationwide or if not nationwide, in a larger portion of the country. You have Commissioner Silver in the NBA, basically advocating or at least understanding this might become a new reality in the near future.
A flute with no holes is not a flute, a donut with no holes is a danish
GWAE
GWAE
  • Threads: 92
November 10th, 2015 at 4:09:14 PM permalink
All this over idiot employees scamming the system.

I think it will snowball because the states are not getting part of the action.
Expect the worst and you will never be disappointed. I AM NOT PART OF GWAE RADIO SHOW
Gabes22
Gabes22
  • Threads: 14
November 10th, 2015 at 4:11:25 PM permalink
I tend to agree with you, but the popularity of this and the money it generates might be the impetus to legalize sports gambling nationwide.
A flute with no holes is not a flute, a donut with no holes is a danish
FatGeezus
FatGeezus
  • Threads: 7
November 11th, 2015 at 12:28:02 PM permalink
Fantasy owners argue that wagering on their sites is a skill. You look at the stats and you choose who you are going to wager on, therefore it is a skill not a game of chance.

When I go to the horse track, I do the same thing. I look at the stats and I choose what horse I am going to wager on. Betting on horses is called gambling.

Can someone explain why betting on a human is a skill and betting on a horse is gambling?
Ibeatyouraces
Ibeatyouraces
  • Threads: 68
November 11th, 2015 at 12:47:37 PM permalink
Because the outcome is unknown.
DUHHIIIIIIIII HEARD THAT!
TwoFeathersATL
TwoFeathersATL
  • Threads: 37
November 11th, 2015 at 2:12:02 PM permalink
Quote: Ibeatyouraces

Because the outcome is unknown.

I thought that was the definition of gambling, at least in the short run.
Youuuuuu MIGHT be a 'rascal' if.......(nevermind ;-)...2F
Pinit2winit
Pinit2winit
  • Threads: 25
November 11th, 2015 at 2:14:06 PM permalink
The solution?? Fanduel and draftkings. ... (.eu)
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1244
November 11th, 2015 at 2:24:40 PM permalink
Quote: FatGeezus

Fantasy owners argue that wagering on their sites is a skill. You look at the stats and you choose who you are going to wager on, therefore it is a skill not a game of chance.

You could argue that about sports betting in general.

As much as I'm in favor of legalizing Internet gambling I do strongly think that Fantasy Sports betting is gambling. It should be legal but not for the reason that is isn't really gambling.
It's not whether you win or lose; it's whether or not you had a good bet.
terapined
terapined
  • Threads: 76
November 11th, 2015 at 3:10:53 PM permalink
Quote: Wizard

You could argue that about sports betting in general.

As much as I'm in favor of legalizing Internet gambling I do strongly think that Fantasy Sports betting is gambling. It should be legal but not for the reason that is isn't really gambling.

I think the daily or weekly leagues are gambling
On the flip side
I play yahoo fantasy Basketball season pay league
Its cheap, just 20 bucks a team.
We have a draft and you are locked into your players for the season unless you trade or drop and pick up undrafted players.
I view my season long league as skill.
"Everybody's bragging and drinking that wine, I can tell the Queen of Diamonds by the way she shines, Come to Daddy on an inside straight, I got no chance of losing this time" -Grateful Dead- "Loser"
Asswhoopermcdaddy
Asswhoopermcdaddy
  • Threads: 84
November 11th, 2015 at 3:23:56 PM permalink
Here's my two cents. I love playing fantasy sports. Now I get to do it online for money. I agree there needs to be regulation to prevent abuse or inside information. I don't like the creators of one site playing on another, much less at all. It's ripe for conflicts of interest.

That said, I finally started to get better at this. I was in the bottom 10% the first 4 weeks. Then I started building my own models to analyze the games and I jumped to in the money which is like top 20-30%.

I'm still trying to uncover the mysteries of fantasy success. (All puns intended.) Please don't take this away from me. It's given me excitement that I have not had in my life performing monotonous tasks to earn a living. I spent hours building a model that earned me less than a $1 an hour, but I loved every second of it. Why? Because I was doing it for myself and not for some greedy corporation. Society always told you that you could do anything. Have you ever felt stuck in the mud in life, career, ambition? Let me live a little.

Is it gambling? Look, crossing the street is a gamble. Do you have the athletic skill to make it in time? Is there an element of chance and randomness in every thing we do? Yes. Leave the fantasy exception as is. Let us dream to be bigger than we really are.

Play that Real Men of Genius, Mr. Fantasy Football Manager Guy song. Let us dream.

• Jump to: