Tomspur
Tomspur
  • Threads: 28
March 15th, 2015 at 6:30:35 PM permalink
What do you guys make of this fella? Didn't beat much at all but he could not have been more impressive?

Quote:

http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/race/USA/PRX/2015/3/15/7/race-7-alw-at-prx-on-3-15-15

My apologies, not sure how to include the actual footage. Just copy and paste?
“There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man.” - Winston Churchill
DrawingDead
DrawingDead
  • Threads: 9
March 15th, 2015 at 7:12:10 PM permalink
Quote: Tomspur

My apologies, not sure how to include the actual footage. Just copy and paste?

Yeah it is impossible to embed the video from a site like Bloodhorse that uses 'Flash' video. You'd have to find a Youtube for it to play it here, or just copy and paste the link like you said.

I did that and watched the race, but don't have much of a sensible basis to form an opinion about him, since I almost never play Parx and am not familiar with the surface and competition and wouldn't know what to make of the raw times. But with that said, I know that I could like that pedigree a lot for the specific purpose of staying a mile and a quarter, if he is otherwise fast and fit enough for that level of competition. By Super Saver out of an Unbridled mare, the top line is fairly good and the bottom line contribution from the dam's side is terrific for that purpose of getting 10 furlongs, if that's what he's ever asked to do. I see he was entered for the Withers last month but scratched out of it.
"I'm against stuff like crack and math" --AxelWolf
Keeneone
Keeneone
  • Threads: 21
March 15th, 2015 at 7:49:19 PM permalink
Quote: Tomspur

What do you guys make of this fella? Didn't beat much at all but he could not have been more impressive?

Love that late running by Unrivaled. I was pulling for Blitzensmajikreign, with the great name and all. If a horse ran as a maiden claimer (which he did @ Kee @ 30k) makes it into any Triple Crown race and wins, I would be incredibly impressed. What a story he/she would be. He was recently cross-entered to two races, one being the Withers (as DD mentioned) and the other a Laurel AOC 35k. I believe he may have passed on those due to the cold weather. He can still make a major prep race if his connections want to....
Tomspur
Tomspur
  • Threads: 28
March 15th, 2015 at 8:29:03 PM permalink
Quote: Keeneone

Love that late running by Unrivaled. I was pulling for Blitzensmajikreign, with the great name and all. If a horse ran as a maiden claimer (which he did @ Kee @ 30k) makes it into any Triple Crown race and wins, I would be incredibly impressed. What a story he/she would be. He was recently cross-entered to two races, one being the Withers (as DD mentioned) and the other a Laurel AOC 35k. I believe he may have passed on those due to the cold weather. He can still make a major prep race if his connections want to....

I believe that is what is neXt. Irwin is no mug and I would at least give him a 2nd look especially at 150 to 1?
“There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man.” - Winston Churchill
ontariodealer
ontariodealer
  • Threads: 7
March 15th, 2015 at 8:53:00 PM permalink
I play parx all the time. One of the great tracks for bias.
get second you pig
Keeneone
Keeneone
  • Threads: 21
March 15th, 2015 at 11:00:04 PM permalink
Quote: DrawingDead

Cashed my two Gulfstream turf races today & feeling flush I went and added Materiality to my Derby future book stable, for an amount smaller than the others, booked at 45/1 from Bill Hill. Shame on me for not doing any line shopping for this one; it was getting to the end of my day and week, and I don't want to be doing anything at all that requires going to a live betting window in any Las Vegas area book during the next few weeks of the March NCAA tournament. But I'll be annoyed with myself later if I find I could've booked him at 85/1 or something like that.

The straight win wager betting interests that I consider live (not including some others involved in exactas) are now: Carpe Diem, Bolo, Far From Over, Itsaknockout, Materiality. Not so live wagers at this point are: Frosted, Imperia, Khozan, Lord Nelson. I'll need to build an addition to make a bigger barn in my den this year, but they shouldn't be eating too much more feed with less than seven weeks to go. Nice horsey, there's your stall, here's a mint, now just relax and stretch with some equine yoga for a few weeks and please don't hurt yourself on the paper shredder.

Materiality @ 45/1 is a solid price based on my odds information. If he repeats (no bouncing) in a major prep, he will be great value. He could show up in the last Derby pool in a couple of weeks, but probably not @ 45/1. He now has the title of unraced 2yo competing for the Derby....after Khozan's unfortunate injury.

I am interested in where Frosted turns up. He has 2 nice workouts in Florida since the FOY (aka "did someone mess with the timers in this race"). Maybe the Wood Memorial would be a better spot for his race style? I am not going to rule him out for a spot in the Derby.

Imperia is entered in the Spiral Stakes next weekend. His pattern is not what you like to see, but it worked for Royal Son, so, who knows....

Quote: aceofspades

Yeah makes no sense to place that wager at all — give me +10000 and I'll put 1000 on it

I guess many of us would make that wager. I personally only consider one current Derby hopeful a "decent" bet for the Triple Crown. Carpe Diem. He is lightly raced against very good competition and has a shot at the longer Belmont @ 11/2mile. Winning 3 Graded stakes races in about 6 weeks against the best 3 year-olds is no easy task.
----------

2 races upcoming this weekend: Spiral Stakes and Sunland Derby. I would love to see Cyrus Alexander entered (and running) in the Sunland Derby. His current rider (for the last 2 races) C. Nakatani was injured in a big spill @ Santa Anita today. Firing Line looks to pointed towards this race.
Sabretom2
Sabretom2
  • Threads: 11
March 16th, 2015 at 5:16:41 AM permalink
Dortman/Pharaoh, at this point looks like a two horse race. Arkansas derby is run too late. If Pharoh hangs out at oaklawn, I see Dortman very lonely up front.
DrawingDead
DrawingDead
  • Threads: 9
March 17th, 2015 at 6:47:55 AM permalink
Least surprising news of the year, file under duh:

Texas Red Off the Kentucky Derby Trail
Quote: Lenny Shulman @Blood-Horse

"We do not have adequate time to prepare Texas Red for a prep race that he would need..."

I find it amazing that he took significant money as late as Pool #3, closing at 14/1 in it on March 1st. What with the flashing neon "I'm toast" sign hanging around his neck as they had him swimming in the hydro therapy tub at the time. Never underestimate the degree of impulsive guessing, laziness, and just plain "duh" in gamblers, at the racetrack or anywhere else. And may it always be so.
"I'm against stuff like crack and math" --AxelWolf
FinsRule
FinsRule
  • Threads: 121
March 17th, 2015 at 11:09:35 AM permalink
Unrivaled headed to Keeneland for the Bluegrass.
FinsRule
FinsRule
  • Threads: 121
March 17th, 2015 at 11:11:33 AM permalink
I actually bet on Texas Red in the Juvenile. But I never thought he was a serious Derby contender. I'm regretting not taking Pharoqh at 8-1. He'll probably be 6-1 next week.

• Jump to: