MidwestAP
MidwestAP
  • Threads: 22
December 30th, 2014 at 7:59:26 PM permalink
Quote: Johnzimbo

I also want to say thanks for hosting this, it was fun until I went all in on the Cowboys. Also, I received an email from Leaguesafe announcing the payouts and it included the winners actual names. Not sure if that could be an issue for anyone, but I would have assumed there would have been some form of anonymity.

Thanks fof the feedback. That certainly is an issue. I kind of assumed they would send an email to the winners, but didn't anticipate it would go to all. I think this may not allow us to use it again unless I can find a way to create the anonymity most people on this site desire. So, back to the same old challenge with these type of contests, we want to collect the money up front, but need a mechanism to do so.
ATLiens
ATLiens
  • Threads: 0
December 31st, 2014 at 6:59:37 AM permalink
Quote: wudged

I requested a paper check for a $2 fee. Feels stingy having to pay a fee for payment and withdrawal. I could have requested it as an Amazon gift card for no fee. I guess it doesn't expire and I would use it eventually, but I'd rather just have the cash.

Next year I would vote to trust somebody (MidwestAP, Mission) with holding the money instead.

Ditto here - I was disappointed in the 'hidden' fee at the end.
Ayecarumba
Ayecarumba
  • Threads: 236
January 5th, 2015 at 6:51:18 PM permalink
Quote: wudged

I requested a paper check for a $2 fee. Feels stingy having to pay a fee for payment and withdrawal. I could have requested it as an Amazon gift card for no fee. I guess it doesn't expire and I would use it eventually, but I'd rather just have the cash.

Next year I would vote to trust somebody (MidwestAP, Mission) with holding the money instead.

Despite the fees and lack of anonymity, I would vote for using the service again (assuming the winners got their payouts). Apparently, you can leave your winnings in, and apply them to other contests for free, so I imagine it would be convenient for other contests on the board too.

I would also support a rising per bet cap (rather than a fixed win cap) for next year's contest. There were some lines that I really felt good about, but could not maximize. Of course, the win cap also kept me from losing big on some contests, but I think the other way is more, 'real world'.
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication - Leonardo da Vinci
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 100
January 6th, 2015 at 11:49:51 AM permalink
I liked the cap. I think it was an interesting equalizer that kept people in it (me for sure) for longer than they might have otherwise, and kept the leaders within hypothetical reach.

I could see playing it the other way, but I enjoyed this format.
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
ATLiens
ATLiens
  • Threads: 0
January 12th, 2015 at 6:19:06 PM permalink
I got my check today. I'll only post again if it doesn't clear haha. Thanks again everybody!
wudged
wudged
  • Threads: 2
January 14th, 2015 at 6:16:21 PM permalink
Finally got my check today as well.
steeldco
steeldco
  • Threads: 52
August 29th, 2015 at 9:37:22 AM permalink
Quote: MidwestAP

I also want to acknowledge all the kind words about administering the contest this year. I'm glad those who participated enjoyed it and I may do it again next year if there is interest.

I want to open up the discussion about any rule changes for next year. Anything that you suggest will be taken under consideration, but not guaranteed. Some areas of discussion include:

Betting limits - Capped win, capped bet, no cap, increasing cap as the season progresses??

Weekly limits - Keep it as is (the previous week bankroll determines the total amount you can put at risk the following week) OR allow any Thursday winnings to be used for Sunday and Monday games.

If we go again next year, I want to add some default options in these situations

1) If anyone submits the team and the amount without any reference to ATS or ML, default to ATS. For example, Baltimore $550 means BAL (insert point spread) for $550.

2) If anyone overbets the bankroll for a week, the wagers will be reduced for the week in the reverse order they were submitted

These were really the only two issues I ran into this year that weren't explicitly covered by the rules.

Hey Midwest, are you going to do this again this year? Looking forward to it!!
DO NOT blindly accept what has been spoken. DO NOT blindly accept what has been written. Think. Assess. Lead. DO NOT blindly follow.
  • Jump to: