NokTang
NokTang
  • Threads: 56
December 10th, 2013 at 2:13:38 AM permalink
I see the lines have been put on the board.

Bowl games are always fun. Lots of excitement and of course, action.

Please add anything we need to know before wagering.

For starters and as an example.....Lou Saben and Bobby Stoops are friends, I think at least good friends. Saben got Stoops to help him beat Florida a few years back. One has to wonder about the friendship impacting the gameplan. It won't be a "war" IMHO. Both coaches would I assume want a clean crisp game, not hurting the others feelings.
LarryS
LarryS
  • Threads: 67
December 10th, 2013 at 9:18:12 AM permalink
Quote: NokTang

I see the lines have been put on the board.

Bowl games are always fun. Lots of excitement and of course, action.

Please add anything we need to know before wagering.

For starters and as an example.....Lou Saben and Bobby Stoops are friends, I think at least good friends. Saben got Stoops to help him beat Florida a few years back. One has to wonder about the friendship impacting the gameplan. It won't be a "war" IMHO. Both coaches would I assume want a clean crisp game, not hurting the others feelings.

Being a Rutgers Alum, I noticed they are playing a bowl game in Yankee stadium, against Notre Dame.....really

first of all Rutgers has a crap team this year...and how far has Notre Dame fallen that they are playing Rutgers of all teams;

I have to be consistant. People over the years have bemoaned the fact that a team with 6 wins can make a bowl game making them meaningless. And I tend to agree being embarrassed that Rutgers actually made a bowl game..
Mission146
Mission146
  • Threads: 142
December 10th, 2013 at 9:27:58 AM permalink
Rutgers is my favorite NCAAF team, actually, and I don't think they are that awful this year, though I do agree with your overall point.

More games = More $$$, it's that simple.

What you should have is probably no more than ten bowl games, that way they at least have some meaning and are somewhat exclusive. The West Virginia Mountaineers were one win away from qualifying for bowl games, and they lost to a team that hasn't won a Conference game since the Nixon Administration!

I'd probably be in favor of an eight-team Playoff structure with eight Bowl Games scattered in between the Playoff games here and there. You end up with twenty-four teams in the post-season, which seems fairly reasonable, considering how many teams there are.

An interesting argument I have heard from the side that favors so many Bowl Games, however, is that (as a percentage of teams) the NCAAF postseason is no less exclusive than professional level basketball or hockey.
https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/off-topic/gripes/11182-pet-peeves/120/#post815219
terapined
terapined
  • Threads: 89
December 10th, 2013 at 9:49:40 AM permalink
I'll be attending the Outback Bowl.
I attend every year.
This year we have LSU vs Iowa.

I've gone to alot of outback bowls in the past sitting among different college fans.
My favorite fans to sit among are Georgia Bulldog fans. They all bark during kickoff, alot of fun.
Also love sitting among Tennessee fans, they sing Rocky Top all game, alot of fun.
kewlj
kewlj
  • Threads: 216
December 10th, 2013 at 10:30:08 AM permalink
I usually bet the bowl games, but I am passing this year. I've had a really good year sportsbetting, up over 5 grand, but that figure has been slowly coming down since my 7 grand win playing college basketball in the spring. I am fairly busy right now and my brother visitsk for 10 days over Christmas/new years, and I am not able to watch all the games, so I am ending my year on the plus side.

But there are a couple angles I have looked at in the past. One is a team that doesn't really want to be playing the game they are playing. A late bseason loss having knocked them from the bigger game they had their eyes on. Alabama and Ohio state both fit that mold, although I haven't even looked at who they are playing.

A second is that the heisman winner has often had a sub par game in his bowl game. Johnny Mandel bucked that trend last season, though.
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 86
December 10th, 2013 at 10:46:38 AM permalink
I wish every team played in a bowl game. More games equates to more betting opportunities.
At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.
LarryS
LarryS
December 10th, 2013 at 2:29:02 PM permalink
Quote: Mission146

Rutgers is my favorite NCAAF team, actually, and I don't think they are that awful this year, though I do agree with your overall point.

More games = More $$$, it's that simple.

What you should have is probably no more than ten bowl games, that way they at least have some meaning and are somewhat exclusive. The West Virginia Mountaineers were one win away from qualifying for bowl games, and they lost to a team that hasn't won a Conference game since the Nixon Administration!

I'd probably be in favor of an eight-team Playoff structure with eight Bowl Games scattered in between the Playoff games here and there. You end up with twenty-four teams in the post-season, which seems fairly reasonable, considering how many teams there are.

An interesting argument I have heard from the side that favors so many Bowl Games, however, is that (as a percentage of teams) the NCAAF postseason is no less exclusive than professional level basketball or hockey.

I think awful is actually the word I would use

they had 6 victories for the entire year and they were over teams that had a combined 17/55 record. None of the teams they beat won over 5 games on the year. In fact one team won 5 times, and the other 5 teams either won 2 or 3 games on the year. They have not one win over a team with a winning record.

Plus they recently just lost to CT, a team that has a fine 3-9 record.

And that resume earns them a "bowl game" with notre dame. What a slap in the face for notre dame. At least they had some quality wins
NokTang
NokTang
December 10th, 2013 at 3:34:52 PM permalink
Quote: terapined

Tennessee fans, they sing Rocky Top all game, alot of fun.

Careful....as most know but perhaps not all....Tennessee fans are well known for marrying their sisters and cousins and of course sneaking moonshine in to games.
NokTang
NokTang
December 10th, 2013 at 3:38:30 PM permalink
Quote: kewlj

But there are a couple angles I have looked at in the past. One is a team that doesn't really want to be playing the game they are playing. A late bseason loss having knocked them from the bigger game they had their eyes on. Alabama and Ohio state both fit that mold, although I haven't even looked at who they are playing.

That is a good point however both are in big BCS bowls. Alabama as I mentioned is playing Oklahoma and with the coaches being friends combined with it not being for the National Title seems to be worth some sort of adjustment. I seriously doubt either wants to run up the score on the other. Who ever knows of course.
NokTang
NokTang
December 10th, 2013 at 3:45:58 PM permalink

Alabama and Ohio state both fit that mold, although I haven't even looked at who they are playing.

Ohio State is playing Clemson in the Orange Bowl. Clemson travels very well. Currently OSU is a slight 2 point favorite. It's a difficult game to figure. Clemson also lost its last game, to rival South Carolina, and has a long lay off. Ohio State is very big and again, keeping the guys in shape for three weeks? The OSU linemen have looked very slow during the regular season.
treetopbuddy
treetopbuddy
  • Threads: 34
December 10th, 2013 at 3:52:39 PM permalink
Quote: terapined

Also love sitting among Tennessee fans, they sing Rocky Top all game, alot of fun.

I'm sorry but how can that be fun? I sat near the Tennessee Band at a University of Kentucky football game. I know....shitty seats. We moved half way through the 3rd quarter. Not sure why we stayed that long. The band played Rocky Top constantly and loud. I get flashbacks to that day when I hear Rocky Top. The dog barking thing on kickoffs with Bulldogs would be kinda funny.
Each day is better than the next
LarryS
LarryS
December 10th, 2013 at 4:20:52 PM permalink

I usually bet the bowl games, but I am passing this year. I've had a really good year sportsbetting, up over 5 grand, but that figure has been slowly coming down since my 7 grand win playing college basketball in the spring. I am fairly busy right now and my brother visitsk for 10 days over Christmas/new years, and I am not able to watch all the games, so I am ending my year on the plus side.

A second is that the heisman winner has often had a sub par game in his bowl game. Johnny Mandel bucked that trend last season, though.

If I had to pick one game that falls into that category where one team doesnt want to be there ...would be USC/Fresno

usc up to the very end was trying for a spot in the rose bowl....until they got beat by UCLA.

now their coach walks away and they are going to play in the desert against friggin fresno

I think fresno will be way more motivated.

THe line is only 5.5 so I am obviously not coming up with something original.
treetopbuddy
treetopbuddy
December 10th, 2013 at 4:26:27 PM permalink
A team that thinks they deserve a better bowl game is my favorite college football betting angle. Play against them. Gamblers are probably getting wise to this....hence probably doesn't work anymore.
Mission146
Mission146
  • Threads: 142
December 10th, 2013 at 5:22:56 PM permalink
Quote: LarryS

I think awful is actually the word I would use

they had 6 victories for the entire year and they were over teams that had a combined 17/55 record. None of the teams they beat won over 5 games on the year. In fact one team won 5 times, and the other 5 teams either won 2 or 3 games on the year. They have not one win over a team with a winning record.

Plus they recently just lost to CT, a team that has a fine 3-9 record.

And that resume earns them a "bowl game" with notre dame. What a slap in the face for notre dame. At least they had some quality wins

WVU is awful, Rutgers is very bad.
https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/off-topic/gripes/11182-pet-peeves/120/#post815219
LarryS
LarryS
December 10th, 2013 at 5:26:38 PM permalink
Quote: Mission146

WVU is awful, Rutgers is very bad.

both are awfully bad
treetopbuddy
treetopbuddy
January 1st, 2014 at 10:01:52 AM permalink
My favorite angle is in play. The disappointed team angle. Alabama believes they should be playing for National Championship. The returned field goal is playing on them and they are disappointed in playing in lesser bowl. Hence the unperformance. Gving Bob Stups and Oklahoma 16 points seems like a ton of points. Take Oklahoma and the 16 points. Your welcome.
Buzzard
Buzzard
  • Threads: 90
January 1st, 2014 at 11:01:50 AM permalink
Tree , stick to handicapping horse and being a tour guide ( marker 164 ). Oklahoma and 16 nd ayou will be a loser SOONER than later!
Shed not for her the bitter tear Nor give the heart to vain regret Tis but the casket that lies here, The gem that filled it Sparkles yet
AcesAndEights
AcesAndEights
January 6th, 2014 at 1:24:46 PM permalink
Quote: Buzzard

Tree , stick to handicapping horse and being a tour guide ( marker 164 ). Oklahoma and 16 nd ayou will be a loser SOONER than later!

Hey, Oklahoma +16 covered. Barely.
"So drink gamble eat f***, because one day you will be dust." -ontariodealer
  • Jump to: