LarryS
LarryS
  • Threads: 67
September 4th, 2013 at 10:44:52 PM permalink
Does anyone have any thoughts about teasm youu folloow for betting purposes. Any teams that you feel are either improved ot last year of retreated in talent.?

For example..my thoughts are

SF 49s have 23 new people on their roster thsi year. That s a huge percent. Will they have kinks to work out with all the new folks? I will sit back and watch this week(i wont watch....but view the stats) as far as the niners. And for greenbay...I am not sure if they improved at all. Any comments are welcome.

Jets- i will guess geno smith the rookie QB will throw 2 interceptions....and the jets arent good enough to overcome rookie mistakes

Giants--does manning have any weapons to throw to?...other than cruz.....if you are local let us know

I think patriots will take a step back this year, but still win the division...by default

KC is being hyped now that they have a qb....but I am not sold on alex smith outside of the SF system. They do have a great hometown statium crowd advantage...but in my opinion.....still not enough. I an guessing8-8 at best

Philly- QB may not last half the season...again

Seattle--best defense, will win alot of low scoring games

the first week.."the man" is having totals much higher than you will see in a few weeks, with the thought that defenses havent had film to prepare for the offenses. "Over" right now is not a good way to go in the first few weeks as the totals are jacked up to start/
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
  • Threads: 240
September 5th, 2013 at 4:09:08 AM permalink
The Steelers will be a 7-9 team this year. Last year the fans and media were watching the team that was on the field 3 years prior, not the team that is there now. By week 4 you will hear the fans chanting "Lets Go Bucs!" in the stands to show their disapproval.

With the way the league has been going I cannot remember a time I less cared about the new season coming. Enjoy things while you can, because in 10-15 years what you see on the field will have been forced by rule-changes to look like the Pro-Bowl we have now.

Attendance at live games will again fall by 0.5-1% as more people enjoy the home experience more than the live one.

Ralph Wilson will pass away and the call to move the Bills to LA will begin as soon as the funeral ends.
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
LarryS
LarryS
September 5th, 2013 at 8:09:56 AM permalink
I think LA may never get a team for one reason. LA for owners is always the bargaining chip that owners use when they want to get what they want from local and state authorities. The threat of moving to LA is better for the owners than for the league to have a team there.
ncfatcat
ncfatcat
  • Threads: 2
September 5th, 2013 at 9:48:30 AM permalink
As a local I think the Carolina Panthers will be similar to the early 2000's Baltimore Ravens. Offense sucks but that defensive front seven is mean as hell. I still want the Panthers +14 against Seattle.
Gambling is a metaphor for life. Hang around long enough and it's all gone.
steeldco
steeldco
  • Threads: 52
September 5th, 2013 at 9:54:36 AM permalink
A couple of thoughts......

Of the 4 young (I state it this way since I think that Kapernick was a 2nd. year player???) QBs last year, who did well, RG3, Russell, Luck, and Kapernick, I believe that 2 of them will be busts this year. I would guess that the 2 who perform poorly will be RG3 and Kapernick.

Also, I think that Marc Trestman, with the Bears, has a real good chance of getting that team to generate some offense. Particularly with Forte running and catching. I would be leaning toward the overs in the early Bears games.
DO NOT blindly accept what has been spoken. DO NOT blindly accept what has been written. Think. Assess. Lead. DO NOT blindly follow.
wroberson
wroberson
  • Threads: 19
September 5th, 2013 at 10:48:37 AM permalink
RG3 is nearly a 1000 yard rusher in his 1st year.
Add another 3000 yards in passing.
I would expect him to do as well as he did last year

Bears were 10-6 last year with Lovie Smith.
They scored a lot of points in the preseason
If the new defense holds, they're good

Always hard to bet against P. Manning, Rogers, Brady

Go Bears!
Buffering...
Buzzard
Buzzard
  • Threads: 90
September 5th, 2013 at 11:00:37 AM permalink
Quote: ncfatcat

As a local I think the Carolina Panthers will be similar to the early 2000's Baltimore Ravens. Offense sucks but that defensive front seven is mean as hell. I still want the Panthers +14 against Seattle.

I want anybody + 14.
Shed not for her the bitter tear Nor give the heart to vain regret Tis but the casket that lies here, The gem that filled it Sparkles yet
LarryS
LarryS
September 5th, 2013 at 10:25:48 PM permalink
Kapernick is surrounded by a very good team. I dont see him tanking. Sf will have a target on their backsevery week as everyone likes to beet a superbowl team. I think with everyone circiling the SF date on the calander.......theywill get intensity every week against them...can they match that intensity every single week....I doubt it. I dont know if its going to be kapernick that faulters...or just the team not being able to take everyones best shot week after week.
LarryS
LarryS
September 5th, 2013 at 10:26:54 PM permalink
Quote: Buzzard

I want anybody + 14.

for me....14 is enticing fro any team during the year......except oakland
LarryS
LarryS
September 7th, 2013 at 11:25:17 PM permalink
I was just looking at everyones picks with interest. In week 1 any are valid as we dont have much togo on.

I noticed cleveland came up more than once...with at least one "confidence pick".....I wonder what people see in cleveland. Miami improved over the last year, and seems to be a decent road team.

Both QBs are iffy at best. Miami has a more balanced attack. I may take miami in a 2 team parlay. The under seems enticing as well.

obviouly this individualgame between 2 average/below average teams is not the kind of game I would put any serious money on.
LarryS
LarryS
September 7th, 2013 at 11:25:17 PM permalink
I was just looking at everyones picks with interest. In week 1 any are valid as we dont have much togo on.

I noticed cleveland came up more than once...with at least one "confidence pick".....I wonder what people see in cleveland. Miami improved over the last year, and seems to be a decent road team.

Both QBs are iffy at best. Miami has a more balanced attack. I may take miami in a 2 team parlay. The under seems enticing as well.

obviouly this individualgame between 2 average/below average teams is not the kind of game I would put any serious money on.
chickenman
chickenman
  • Threads: 3
September 8th, 2013 at 3:45:17 AM permalink
Cleveland has allowed 3 TDs in last 5 home games FWIW and also seem much improved so should have decent chance, all the lines were close at pick or 1 either way IIRC
Boz
Boz
  • Threads: 155
September 8th, 2013 at 4:51:22 AM permalink

I want anybody + 14.

You probably will get them Thursday night with the Jets vs New England depending how today turns out.
LarryS
LarryS
September 9th, 2013 at 4:52:26 PM permalink
In my opinion this week coming up is one of the most dangerous weeks for the bettor.

too much is extrapolated from one single game

people will take the points and the jets over NE assuming the jets are better than they thought and NE is worse than they thought based on the one game.

maybe the jets played over their heads. Maybe the 2 turnovers by their QB will go doen to zero...or go up to 4....who knows..geno smith is a rookie. Geno smith is on the road......good luck to this rookie in foxboro.

Oakland....asbad as they are on paper.....this is a must game for them. If they cant beat jacksonville at home....who can they beat. Are the raiders better than we thought they were based on thir showing against Indy? People will load up on oakland based on the 1 game. Not me. gabbert is out...so Jacksonville has a chance. Though I dont put good money on teams tha tjust have a chance"

This week is harder to bet than the first week, because we now have mind altering stats that may or may not be indicative of the true real nature of the team going foward.
Buzzard
Buzzard
September 9th, 2013 at 4:55:55 PM permalink
Quote: LarryS

for me....14 is enticing fro any team during the year......except oakland

I took OAKLAND and 10. And WON ! ! !
Shed not for her the bitter tear Nor give the heart to vain regret Tis but the casket that lies here, The gem that filled it Sparkles yet
steeldco
steeldco
September 9th, 2013 at 5:23:11 PM permalink
If RG3 continues like this, the Redskins will need to put in Cousins......and in the long term, they'll be better off.
DO NOT blindly accept what has been spoken. DO NOT blindly accept what has been written. Think. Assess. Lead. DO NOT blindly follow.
kewlj
kewlj
  • Threads: 216
September 9th, 2013 at 5:50:42 PM permalink
Quote: steeldco

If RG3 continues like this, the Redskins will need to put in Cousins......and in the long term, they'll be better off.

That was as lopsided of a half of pro football as I have ever seen. Yards, first downs, time of possession. Only thing not totally reflective is the score. Redskins should feel good about only being down 19. RG3 very rusty. Just goes to show 7 on 7 drills and 11 on 11 drills where players can't touch the qb are no substitute for game action.

First downs 21-3. Yards 322-75. Washington has 75 yards offense, BUT 55 yards in penalties. Wow.
s2dbaker
s2dbaker
  • Threads: 51
September 9th, 2013 at 5:57:41 PM permalink

I see Tebow in a Redskins uniform by tomorrow afternoon.
Someday, joor goin' to see the name of Googie Gomez in lights and joor goin' to say to joorself, "Was that her?" and then joor goin' to answer to joorself, "That was her!" But you know somethin' mister? I was always her yuss nobody knows it! - Googie Gomez
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 100
September 9th, 2013 at 7:09:04 PM permalink
Quote: s2dbaker

I see Tebow in a Redskins uniform by tomorrow afternoon.

Augggggghhhhhh!!!!!
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
LarryS
LarryS
September 9th, 2013 at 8:28:28 PM permalink

I took OAKLAND and 10. And WON ! ! !

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WOWIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Buzzard
Buzzard
September 9th, 2013 at 8:31:02 PM permalink
Hey, I have to do something to make this pool challenging. Just winning it can be boring !
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 100
September 9th, 2013 at 9:05:39 PM permalink

Hey, I have to do something to make this pool challenging. Just winning it can be boring !

Little early to be talkin' smack, isn't it? I'm only one behind you...check your six.
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
Buzzard
Buzzard
September 9th, 2013 at 9:10:06 PM permalink
Babs darling. Let's not start another argument. I thought the divorce ended all that. SIGH
wroberson
wroberson
  • Threads: 19
September 10th, 2013 at 6:31:11 AM permalink
This NFL season is going to be great. The 1st week I went 13-3 and landed 2nd in the office pool I'm in. 12-4 in the picks I posted here. I'll be spending a few days looking over the match ups to see how many teams lost games that should have been wins and make note on my total season wins spreadsheet.
Buffering...
FunkyDoctor
FunkyDoctor
  • Threads: 10
September 10th, 2013 at 10:41:43 AM permalink

Giants--does manning have any weapons to throw to?...other than cruz.....if you are local let us know /

I am catching up to this thread a bit late, but can't see where anyone addressed your Giant's question. As a lifelong Giants fan, I follow them religiously and consider myself an expert in all things "Big Blue".

The simple answer to your question about receiving threats is "Yes", in fact it is "Hell yes!" The Giants are stacked at receiver. In addition to Cruz, Hakeem Nicks and Reuben Randle will all put up big numbers if they stay healthy. It is arguably one of the best receiving trios in the NFL.

Nicks had an injury plagued year last year which resulted in reduced results compared to the previous year, but he has got himself healthy and paced his return during the offseason to save his best stuff for now. He had a very strong game against Dallas in the opener. Nicks is the #1 receiver in the Giants offense, even though it is Cruz who gets all the press. It is also a contract year for Nicks.

Randle is a second year receiver who made huge strides from last year to this season. He was the talk of training camp and all accounts have him being a major contributor to the passing attack this season, especially since defenses will be focused on trying to take away Nicks and Cruz. He should see a lot of single coverage and become a go to guy for Manning. There is even talk that the Giants may let Nicks leave via free agency after the season because they feel Randle will develop this year into a legitimate #1 receiver. Of course I am hoping the Giants find a way to keep them all.

Brandon Meyers was brought in from Oakland via free agency to be the primary TE. He put up big receiving numbers last year and it is hoped he can become a fourth receiving threat for Manning - the first legit TE receiving threat since Jeremy Shockey. However, that has not materialized so far. Meyers and Manning don't seem to have developed the chemistry yet to be successful in the Giant's complex passing scheme. He's been pretty invisible so far through pre-season and week 1. He also sucks as a blocker, which isn't helping the Giants troubled rushing attack - but I won't get started on that...yet.

Hope this info helps. I'll be happy to provide insight on any other Giants questions anyone may have.

Incidentally, the other (arguably) best receiving trio in the NFL this year is Denver's Demarius Thomas, Wes Welker and Eric Decker...and the two teams play each other this week. Should be quite the shoot-out in the Manning Bowl.
Buzzard
Buzzard
September 10th, 2013 at 11:46:09 AM permalink
" Hope this info helps. I'll be happy to provide insight on any other Giants questions anyone may have."

Did Frank really make that first down, but the officials were too busy with Gino's injury to properly spot the ball ?
vendman1
vendman1
  • Threads: 9
September 10th, 2013 at 12:35:24 PM permalink

In my opinion this week coming up is one of the most dangerous weeks for the bettor.

too much is extrapolated from one single game

people will take the points and the jets over NE assuming the jets are better than they thought and NE is worse than they thought based on the one game.

maybe the jets played over their heads. Maybe the 2 turnovers by their QB will go doen to zero...or go up to 4....who knows..geno smith is a rookie. Geno smith is on the road......good luck to this rookie in foxboro.

Oakland....asbad as they are on paper.....this is a must game for them. If they cant beat jacksonville at home....who can they beat. Are the raiders better than we thought they were based on thir showing against Indy? People will load up on oakland based on the 1 game. Not me. gabbert is out...so Jacksonville has a chance. Though I dont put good money on teams tha tjust have a chance"

This week is harder to bet than the first week, because we now have mind altering stats that may or may not be indicative of the true real nature of the team going foward.

I agree with this completely, weeks 1 and 2...are the hardest to handicapp, by far. The books have lots of full time people setting the lines. The average better just goes on what they see. Obviously, before week 1, there is nothing to see. Then after week #1, people over-react to what they saw in week #1. So week 2 is difficult to gauge.
FunkyDoctor
FunkyDoctor
September 10th, 2013 at 3:26:39 PM permalink

Did Frank really make that first down, but the officials were too busy with Gino's injury to properly spot the ball ?

Good God, how old are you?

I'll give credit to Marchetti for making the stop. After all, if he could survive the Battle of the Bulge, he can survive Gifford.

Did I pass the test?
Buzzard
Buzzard
September 10th, 2013 at 3:38:20 PM permalink
A + 73 years old Was at earlier game that year in New York when Giants beat Colts. But George Shaw played that day, not Johnny U.
FunkyDoctor
FunkyDoctor
September 10th, 2013 at 3:58:57 PM permalink
Can't say that I was around to see that one, but I did eat at Gino's restaurants as a kid.
Buzzard
Buzzard
September 10th, 2013 at 4:04:15 PM permalink
Remember this commercial Feed a Family of 5 for a Dollar Ninety Five.

Coke 10 cents Fries 14 cents Burger 14 cents. Ever have a burger at Ameche,s Drive-in, With Ameche 35 sauce ?
FunkyDoctor
FunkyDoctor
September 10th, 2013 at 4:44:34 PM permalink
Yeah, now you're pushin' it. I barely remember Gino's before they all became Roy Rogers.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
September 10th, 2013 at 5:27:00 PM permalink
Quote: FunkyDoctor

Yeah, now you're pushin' it. I barely remember Gino's before they all became Roy Rogers.

I remember Roy Rogers before all but the toll road ones became Hardee's......
LarryS
LarryS
September 11th, 2013 at 1:28:10 AM permalink
as far as the giants...did anyone notice a change in coughlins reactions.

Whenever there was a botched play/ fumble/interception in the past, his reaction shot was priceless...its was a "what the f" expression. a "i cant believe I just saw that" expression. Last game any of his reaction shots showed him like most coaches...unflinching, and looking to the next play.

He had plenty of opportunitylast game to throw his hands in the air and visually show his disgust....but he didnt.
Mosca
Mosca
  • Threads: 191
September 11th, 2013 at 7:54:58 AM permalink
Quote: AZDuffman

The Steelers will be a 7-9 team this year. Last year the fans and media were watching the team that was on the field 3 years prior, not the team that is there now. By week 4 you will hear the fans chanting "Lets Go Bucs!" in the stands to show their disapproval.

With the way the league has been going I cannot remember a time I less cared about the new season coming. Enjoy things while you can, because in 10-15 years what you see on the field will have been forced by rule-changes to look like the Pro-Bowl we have now.

Attendance at live games will again fall by 0.5-1% as more people enjoy the home experience more than the live one.

Ralph Wilson will pass away and the call to move the Bills to LA will begin as soon as the funeral ends.

It's taken me this long to process Sunday's mess. Your 7-9 might be optimistic.

On the one hand, the defense only gave up 16 points after spending the entire game on the field. Losing Foote will hurt, but if Jones is everything they say he will be, that is one thing we fans can hold on to.

The offense, on the other hand... I don't get it. The Steelers have the best playmaking quarterback in the league, and they are forcing him into being a role player.

It's going to be a rough year.
A falling knife has no handle.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
September 11th, 2013 at 1:38:14 PM permalink
Quote: Mosca

It's taken me this long to process Sunday's mess. Your 7-9 might be optimistic.

On the one hand, the defense only gave up 16 points after spending the entire game on the field. Losing Foote will hurt, but if Jones is everything they say he will be, that is one thing we fans can hold on to.

The offense, on the other hand... I don't get it. The Steelers have the best playmaking quarterback in the league, and they are forcing him into being a role player.

It's going to be a rough year.

I have seen this act twice before. Once about 1986 and again in the very late 1990s. Same thing. Lethargic offense, not bad but not dominant defense. Losing key players in week 1 did not help. Another thing not helping is a generational transfer of power in ownership. Dan Rooney is pretty much gone. Each time it takes 1-2 bad years for fans to notice, last year was year one.

We will have 3-4 years of 5-8 win seasons before snapping back.
steeldco
steeldco
September 18th, 2013 at 10:05:41 AM permalink

A couple of thoughts......

Of the 4 young (I state it this way since I think that Kapernick was a 2nd. year player???) QBs last year, who did well, RG3, Russell, Luck, and Kapernick, I believe that 2 of them will be busts this year. I would guess that the 2 who perform poorly will be RG3 and Kapernick.

Also, I think that Marc Trestman, with the Bears, has a real good chance of getting that team to generate some offense. Particularly with Forte running and catching. I would be leaning toward the overs in the early Bears games.

I know it's early, but after two games RG3 is ranked 16th. in the QB ratings with an 89.6 and Kaepernick is ranked 23rd. with an 81.6 rating. I expect the ratings will be worse by the end of the year.

Also, after 2 games, I believe the Bears games have gone over in both. I would expect them to go over again this week.
Ibeatyouraces
Ibeatyouraces
  • Threads: 68
September 18th, 2013 at 10:18:17 AM permalink
deleted
DUHHIIIIIIIII HEARD THAT!
steeldco
steeldco
September 18th, 2013 at 10:23:00 AM permalink
I'm certainly not a Lions fan, especially since I believe that coaching staff may be one of the dumbest that I've seen, but I think RG3's slide will continue.
Ibeatyouraces
Ibeatyouraces
September 18th, 2013 at 10:28:43 AM permalink
deleted
steeldco
steeldco
September 18th, 2013 at 10:34:32 AM permalink
Have to agree with you. BTW, I think that RG3 is gonna be forced to play catch up with the Lions and he's not going to be able to. An injury inflicted by Suh is in the cards..............

Calvin Johnson is a monster..........
chickenman
chickenman
  • Threads: 3
September 18th, 2013 at 10:36:36 AM permalink

An injury inflicted by Suh is in the cards..............

Yeah, like a kick in the groin ...
steeldco
steeldco
September 18th, 2013 at 10:38:58 AM permalink
Could be.....Suh's intelligence level mirrors that of the dumbass coaching staff in Detroit.
Alan
Alan
  • Threads: 17
September 18th, 2013 at 11:09:39 AM permalink
How about those Steelers. They're sucking hind tit, actually they're not lucky enough to get any tit.
steeldco
steeldco
September 18th, 2013 at 11:30:26 AM permalink
Yep. The Steelers have continued to go downhill. They're in need of a rebuild. About time though, since they seem to have had a helluva run.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
September 18th, 2013 at 1:55:18 PM permalink

Yep. The Steelers have continued to go downhill. They're in need of a rebuild. About time though, since they seem to have had a helluva run.

My 7-9 prediction is looking like the high end. I haven't seen one play all year, seems I am not missing much.
Buzzard
Buzzard
September 18th, 2013 at 2:08:51 PM permalink
I think both Pittsburgh and Detroit are plays this weekend. Not whether your team wins or loses. It's how they do against the betting line !
EdCollins
EdCollins
  • Threads: 20
September 18th, 2013 at 4:12:32 PM permalink
Quote: Ibeatyouraces

But he's playing the lions this week. That should help.

Indeed it should.

I just checked. The last time the Lions beat the Redskins at home was 1935. They were known as the Boston Redskins back then, and the game was played in Boston.

The Lions have never beaten the Washington Redskins in Washington. (21 attempts.) In fact, from 1966 though 1998, the Lions couldn't beat the Redskins anywhere... home or away.

(And yes, I know this means nothing.)
Ibeatyouraces
Ibeatyouraces
September 18th, 2013 at 4:27:56 PM permalink
deleted
LarryS
LarryS
September 18th, 2013 at 8:28:20 PM permalink
I think this week miamia at home is a loss for miami. Atlanta is a better team. Miami is good on the road...at home I dont like them as much.

If they were playing a below average team like they did with cleveland....I would be right there with them.

But this is a real test for them. Can they beat an above ave team?

I say no right now
  • Jump to: