LarryS
LarryS
  • Threads: 67
August 15th, 2013 at 10:27:31 PM permalink
are there sports bettors out there like myself, who enjoy researching and coming up with picks, bets them either flat or in parlays, and goes on with life, not watching the games, not caring what multimillion dollar players are doing as far as mugging for the camera, or acting out, Not agonizing over each play.
Just bet and look at the box score to see the scores and how they were attained. Then either lick your wounds or collect your pay?

I know the NFL relies on a growing fanbase that is the antithesis of me. The beer drinking "fans" of a specific team that are willing to back up their love of the team with cash bets either legal or illegal. The people who sit at sports bars, sports books, talegate parties...and hang on every play

Thats not me. I do gamble 2 K on 5-10 games.....each weekend. But never get caught up in the game. I do learn from the boxscore. But that is a 5 minute process.

games are vehicles for me to try to win money....not a time consuming entertainment vehicle for me to watch from beginning to end/

anyone else bet like this?
rainman
rainman
  • Threads: 18
August 15th, 2013 at 11:05:26 PM permalink
Of course, many people bet like that its all numbers to them. Billy Walters comes to mind.
FinsRule
FinsRule
  • Threads: 119
August 16th, 2013 at 4:41:54 AM permalink
I think it's a bad idea. Don't you get a better idea of things from actually watching? I think there are some things that stats don't show.
1arrowheaddr
1arrowheaddr
  • Threads: 14
August 16th, 2013 at 7:06:20 AM permalink
I think it depends on what type of bettor you are. If you can follow the bets of smart people who put in the work and have a track record of success then watching the game isn't critical. Find out who your "source" likes in the game and work to get the best number. If you are originating numbers (i.e. making an independent opinion/power ratings) watching the games is very important. Of course, you don't have to watch the game while it's being played. If you only watch the actual plays in the game it will take less than an hour per.
LarryS
LarryS
August 16th, 2013 at 7:43:40 AM permalink
I know there are people like me who bet like me out there like Billy Walters(although I dont have nearly the success rate as he does)..I was wondering if any of those people are here.

Also I find very little is helpful by watching the game. If i bet baseball and I feel the other team has better pitchers and hitters(all stats)..and they lose...when they commit 3 errors in the 9th. Or Kershaw for the Dodgers has a bad night and gives up 3 home runs.....did I learn anything by watching for 3 hours? Really what did I learn by watching the game for 3 hours. Or In football, Brady throws 3 interceptions and loses to the Jets....what did I learn that wasnt in the box score. I can see that they had no running game from the stats, and can see he had to throw alot and the other team keyed in on it. Did I need to sit for 3 hours and watch it?

I am not discounting that alot of people go the route of partying and having fun and watching while betting...which is fine. I am not discounting the "fun factor' for those looking primarily for fun.

I already researched all he stats beforehand. I read the boxscore, and perhaps the artlcle attached to the boxscore(yahoo) detailing important parts of the game.

thats all I need. For football I watch the NFL channel and get a very consensed cross sections of some major plays.( a bout 2 minites worth at most)...as they run down the games of the day.

Otherwise I research, I bet, and move on with life. The only favorite teams I have are the teams I have money on for any specific day.
LarryS
LarryS
August 16th, 2013 at 8:41:15 AM permalink
as we chat, there are millions of cleveland browns fans thinking this is going to be :the year" There are millions of KC fans thinking the same. Millions of Jacksonville fans thinking this is "their year" and a percentage of thsoe millions are willing to put money where their mouth is to prove thir great confidence in their "favorite " team.

Someone on another board was crowing that "his team"....alabama in college is "awesome". That may be true..and they will win alot of games....But they will probablylose more than they win when it comes to the spread.

alot of people attach to their "awesome teams" and bet with their allegence rather than the facts.....as if betting alabama willNOT beat their opponent by 22 points is sacreligious.
thecesspit
thecesspit
  • Threads: 53
August 16th, 2013 at 9:21:39 AM permalink
Quote: LarryS

Millions of Jacksonville fans thinking this is "their year"

Now your making it up, there's not millions of Jacksonville fans.

Quote:

Someone on another board was crowing that "his team"....alabama in college is "awesome". That may be true..and they will win alot of games....But they will probablylose more than they win when it comes to the spread.

They should go about 50/50 against the spread. Roughly.

Quote:

alot of people attach to their "awesome teams" and bet with their allegence rather than the facts.....as if betting alabama willNOT beat their opponent by 22 points is sacreligious.

Sure, but watching the game film allows you to learn more than a mere box score and report can tell you. For some bettors at least. -Why- a team had no ground game is as useful as knowing that they didn't. Knowing why Brady threw three picks (tight man coverage in the middle, or lots of pressure from the outside pass rusher) will give you clues for if he might struggle next week against a different team. Watching that stuff in the highlights might work as well.

Or it might not for you at all, and your doing fine with the stats, box core and summaries, with knowledge of the lines and how you handicap.

I agree there's no reason to watch the game itself, and being dispassionate about the game helps a lot.

I don't believe there is 'one way' to bet sports successfully. And certainly not just one way to bet sports.
"Then you can admire the real gambler, who has neither eaten, slept, thought nor lived, he has so smarted under the scourge of his martingale, so suffered on the rack of his desire for a coup at trente-et-quarante" - Honore de Balzac, 1829
LarryS
LarryS
August 16th, 2013 at 12:00:24 PM permalink
They should go about 50/50 against the spread. Roughly.
>>

alabama the national champion will get a little extra boost on the spread by "the man". Being natonal champions ebveryone or almost everyone will be on the bandwagon and the man knows this andf spreads will be awfull.

I still think as with most national champions..they will lose more for that reason via the over inflated spread
LarryS
LarryS
August 16th, 2013 at 10:40:37 PM permalink
I appreciate your comment on watching the game. However for example if someone beats New England in the first week, the film is out there for all subsequent opponents to see. Does that mean NE will not win another game because the film shows the formula to beat them? Each week adjustments are made on both sides and you can never guess what game plan will be adopted by either team offensively or defensively.
LarryS
LarryS
August 16th, 2013 at 10:40:39 PM permalink
duplicate

• Jump to: