Mosca
Mosca
  • Threads: 191
October 25th, 2012 at 4:27:37 PM permalink
“I Know That People In The Islands Are Crapping Their Pants Right Now”: Authorities Bring Down Massive Sports Betting Ring

This part especially sounds kind of big:

Quote:

Eight of those arrested are from Las Vegas, including Michael Colbert, the sports book manager at The M in Vegas. Colbert is also the race and sports director for Cantor Gaming, an affiliate of the New York-based financial giant Cantor Fitzgerald that operates six Vegas sports books. ESPN reported that Cantor Gaming as a whole was not implicated in the scandal, but according to the Las Vegas Journal-Review, the firm is now being investigated by Nevada gambling regulators. The state wants to figure out if Colbert's actions—for which he faces up to 25 years in prison—are in any way related to his role as a vice president at Cantor.

A falling knife has no handle.
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
  • Threads: 265
October 25th, 2012 at 4:50:36 PM permalink
If Vegas is but a drop in the bucket it must be very easy to link Vegas to activity elsewhere. Vegas has the publicity for The Line and the ability to lay off geographically skewed action as well as the ability to change the line near game start time.

I think some of the links will prove tenuous and most of the defendants will probably have never even heard of each other, but the cops will get great publicity from all this nonsense.

I've posted before about a cell phone failure in Manchester leading to a torture-murder in London that was linked to gambling sites in Asia and the Ukraine in some sort of exploitation of the public's perception of what a "live" broadcast actually meant. (Wise money would make massive bets based on the cell phone call reporting a field goal a minute before the "live" satellite broadcast showed the field goal). Its a world wide web remember... in more ways than one.
  • Jump to: