sistein
sistein
  • Threads: 1
November 7th, 2011 at 6:28:38 PM permalink
So I have an idea for a virtual reel slot game, does anyone know the steps to get the game made? I know I need to have the math done and eventually contact a game maker, but as of now all I have is an idea. Places or people to contact would be great, I am a student at UNLV and still learning the ropes. I would further explain my game but I cannot take that risk at this time. Thanks for your help!
Switch
Switch
  • Threads: 12
November 8th, 2011 at 2:49:24 AM permalink
Quote: sistein

So I have an idea for a virtual reel slot game, does anyone know the steps to get the game made? I know I need to have the math done and eventually contact a game maker, but as of now all I have is an idea. Places or people to contact would be great, I am a student at UNLV and still learning the ropes. I would further explain my game but I cannot take that risk at this time. Thanks for your help!

It's expensive to develop a workable slot game but I would suggest that you need to get protection for your idea first by getting a patent done. If you speak to a patent lawyer then he/she will suggest whether the idea is patentable and unique enough.

However, that is the first hurdle - getting the math' done, along with a good demo' game, is likely to set you back 5 figures - that's on top of the cost of getting the patent done.

Finally, even with a workable demo', it is extremely difficult to get the game taken up by one of the major slot manufacturers. Probably the Internet is an easier alternative although that is still difficult.

Without seeing the concept it is not easy for me to make clear assertions about the route you should take. However, you have chosen one of the most costly and difficult areas of game design to enter into.
MathExtremist
MathExtremist
  • Threads: 88
November 8th, 2011 at 8:20:04 AM permalink
The first thing I'd do is make sure it's novel. You don't want to incur a five-figure R&D expense only to find out that Bally beat you to the punch 8 years ago, so do a search. If you're in LV, scour the strip for new games. Look in the patent archives. Then go to the corporate offices of IGT, Bally, Aristocrat, WMS, etc. and ask some questions. "I'm a student at UNLV and I'm interested in learning about slot game design" should at least get you talking to the right people. Don't mention that you have an idea, just go to see how they get things done.

Only a very small number of new games in the slot industry come from outside inventors.
"In my own case, when it seemed to me after a long illness that death was close at hand, I found no little solace in playing constantly at dice." -- Girolamo Cardano, 1563
Switch
Switch
  • Threads: 12
November 8th, 2011 at 1:39:08 PM permalink
Quote: MathExtremist

"I'm a student at UNLV and I'm interested in learning about slot game design" should at least get you talking to the right people. Don't mention that you have an idea, just go to see how they get things done.

i think that's a great idea to use your current situation to find out as much as you can without getting knock-backs.
sistein
sistein
  • Threads: 1
November 8th, 2011 at 2:16:52 PM permalink
Thank you all so much for your help, I really appreciate it.
  • Jump to: