Rigondeaux
Rigondeaux
  • Threads: 29
May 30th, 2019 at 1:44:11 PM permalink
Quote: gordonm888

This is the WSOP making the selections, and I believe that Phil Hellmuth has won 12 WSOP bracelets (including one last year), which is the all-time record. And, NO, his name is not spelled Hellmouth although it certainly should be, LOL. And he is actually a nice decent guy away from the tables and does a lot of ambassador type activities.

I've heard people say this, but have seen no evidence for it.

I'm sure, as an egomaniac, he is nice to people who ask him for autographs or whatever because he craves the adulation, but that doesn't make him a nice guy. Lots of people are nice to people who kiss their butts.

I mean, you are who you are. He has no problem abusing amateurs. He has no problem breaking rules in a way that costs people money, right up to the point of cheating. That's who he is. He only cares about himself.

But, he has nothing to do with me, so oh well.

His achievement of continuing to excel at tourneys after all of the other guys from his era have faded away, and there has been a huge influx of brilliant, hungry young players is tremendous. But IDK about influential.
gordonm888
gordonm888
  • Threads: 34
May 30th, 2019 at 1:52:47 PM permalink
This is the WSOP making the selections, and I believe that Phil Hellmuth has won 12 WSOP bracelets (including one last year), which is the all-time record. And, NO, his name is not spelled Hellmouth although it certainly should be, LOL. And he is actually a nice decent guy away from the tables and does a lot of ambassador type activities. I agree that Brunson, Negreanu and Moneymaker have stronger cases and that Hellmuth may not be picked as #4 - but then everyone will have to endure Hellmuth's whining and disparaging of the WSOP for not picking him..

Johnny Chan? Yep, two M.E. wins when no one was paying attention, but he has done very little during the post-2004 television era of poker. However, it is well known that Lloyd Waner was voted into the MLB Hall of Fame because voters confused him with his much-better brother, Paul Waner. So, in that spirit, maybe Johnny Chan's excellence at choreographing and executing martial arts sequences will put him over the top and get him selected as one of the 4-most influential poker players.
So many better men, a few of them friends, were dead. And a thousand thousand slimy things lived on, and so did I.
BigDad
BigDad
  • Threads: 0
June 30th, 2019 at 1:21:34 PM permalink
Everything is clear with the best male poker players. And what about WSOP Ladies Championship?
Gandler
Gandler
  • Threads: 29
August 6th, 2019 at 5:55:52 PM permalink
Phil Helmuth
Johnnny Chan
Doyle Brunson
Phil Ivey
"Whatever is my right as a man is also the right of another; and it becomes my duty to guarantee as well as to possess. -Thomas Paine
gordonm888
gordonm888
  • Threads: 34
Thanks for this post from:
AxelWolf
August 6th, 2019 at 7:32:35 PM permalink
Quote: Gandler

Phil Helmuth
Johnnny Chan
Doyle Brunson
Phil Ivey

An incredible snub of Daniel Negreanu, who has been the affable face of professional poker for many years.
So many better men, a few of them friends, were dead. And a thousand thousand slimy things lived on, and so did I.
Mission146
Mission146
  • Threads: 120
August 8th, 2019 at 8:47:43 AM permalink
While we're on the subject of poker, poker pro Nick Marchington is being sued by his WSOP backers, C. Biscuit Poker Staking over a refund gone wrong:

https://www.wizardofvegas.com/articles/when-is-a-refund-a-refund/
Vultures can't be choosers.

• Jump to: