GeoducknCrab
GeoducknCrab
  • Threads: 4
May 28th, 2019 at 6:54:25 PM permalink
I would like to nominate Chris Ferguson. He has earned his dues.
Eric Seidel
Stu Unger
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 157
May 28th, 2019 at 7:03:29 PM permalink
I was recently offered what was purported to be a very limited edition photo from the 1970 World Series. It's a nice photo, about 16x24 in a frame with all the people identified. Actually, two unknowns photo bomb the picture and are identified as such. It doesn't look like there's anyone under fifty in the photo. Doyle Brunson is the babyface
Sadly, I think it is a laser printed knockoff worth a fraction of the asking price.
gordonm888
gordonm888
  • Threads: 34
May 28th, 2019 at 7:58:53 PM permalink
Negreanu was, until recently, the all time money winner in poker. He has won many WSOP bracelets and has been the mediagenic face of poker.
Brunson is a 2-time main event winner and (unlike Jackie Chan) became a great ambassador for the game.
Hellmouth -more bracelets than anyone
Moneymaker - we all know his story

Chris Ferguson is a pariah in poker because he, along with Howard Lederer, helped found and manage FullTiltPoker, the on-line poker service which was allowing players to cheat and which did not return some players' money when the government cracked down on online poker. Ferguson has zero chance of being named.
So many better men, a few of them friends, were dead. And a thousand thousand slimy things lived on, and so did I.
Rigondeaux
Rigondeaux
  • Threads: 29
Thanks for this post from:
Boz
May 28th, 2019 at 8:56:55 PM permalink
Quote: Boz

They missed Biggest D@#k category, and I donít mean literally.

I nominate Jaime Gold.

He's still pretty active. I've seen him a few times. Everyone says he's very cool and insanely generous.
bobbartop
bobbartop
  • Threads: 108
May 28th, 2019 at 8:58:17 PM permalink
Quote: DRich

I don't think you want him mentioned if you are the WSOP. Wasn't he accused of pedophilia or something?

I know. Max Pen already brought it up and it has been discussed. But besides that mess, Slim really was the biggest thing for poker back in the day. I think, in fact I am sure, a lot of people on this group are just too young to remember. Over 40 years ago, Slim was the nuts.
bobbartop
bobbartop
May 28th, 2019 at 9:07:17 PM permalink
Quote: gordonm888

Negreanu was, until recently, the all time money winner in poker. He has won many WSOP bracelets and has been the mediagenic face of poker.
Brunson is a 2-time main event winner and (unlike Jackie Chan) became a great ambassador for the game.
Hellmouth -more bracelets than anyone
Moneymaker - we all know his story

Chris Ferguson is a pariah in poker because he, along with Howard Lederer, helped found and manage FullTiltPoker, the on-line poker service which was allowing players to cheat and which did not return some players' money when the government cracked down on online poker. Ferguson has zero chance of being named.

Jackie Chan?

Uh, anyway, can someone else confirm this cheating allegation with Ferguson and Full Tilt? I don't remember that. Now Russ Hamilton, the big fat crook, and Ultimate Bet and Absolute Poker, et.al., is a different story, I remember THAT very well.
beachbumbabs
Administrator
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 97
May 29th, 2019 at 4:56:36 AM permalink
Same list as.Gordon for.me.

Brunson
Hellmuth
Negreanu
Moneymaker

Voting as an outsider - I think the poker community would legitimately disagree with one or more of those.

My opinion could well be a product of widespread publicity more than true poker gods. They might well have good arguments for Amarillo Slim, Jackie Chan, Stu Unger, Antonio Esfandiari, Barry Greenwood, couple others that are huge cash game winners but not known for tournament bracelets.
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
beachbumbabs
Administrator
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 97
May 29th, 2019 at 4:56:36 AM permalink
Same list as.Gordon for.me.

Brunson
Hellmuth
Negreanu
Moneymaker

Voting as an outsider - I think the poker community would legitimately disagree with one or more of those.

My opinion could well be a product of widespread publicity more than true poker gods. They might well have good arguments for Amarillo Slim, Jackie Chan, Stu Unger, Antonio Esfandiari, Barry Greenwood, couple others that are huge cash game winners but not known for tournament bracelets.
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
Joeman
Joeman
  • Threads: 33
May 29th, 2019 at 5:17:31 AM permalink
I like Gordon's list, too. Although, I might replace Phil Helmuth with Mike McDermott! ;)

I think what makes Brunson stand out among all the "old-school" guys as being the most influential is his book, Super/System.
"Dealer has 'rock'... Pay 'paper!'"
bobbartop
bobbartop
Thanks for this post from:
Forager
May 29th, 2019 at 6:24:08 AM permalink
Quote: beachbumbabs

Jackie Chan

Can we stop this before it gets out of hand?

• Jump to: