DonPedro
DonPedro
  • Threads: 92
March 28th, 2013 at 7:47:15 PM permalink
Will be playing this game for the 1st time, I have only played low limit THE ,3/6, 4/8, and 6 /12 and have done OK at it, much better than blackjack anyways. I seem to have got tired of playing BJ and enjoy poker more and more !!

I have read a few things online re: the above game, limp w/ draws and bet the max w/ made hands seems to be mentioned .

Betting 20,20,20,20, causes me a bit of anxiety but could be OK if your getting it in w/ the best, and could be very BAD if someone draws out on you, which will happen.

I would categorize my play as TAG ( super tight), and have found that 1/2 pairs do NOT seem to win much in the above(limit) games, I try to use these as an occasional semi-bluff, then act surprised when I lose. So I am basically looking for sets/trips, str8/flush draws to really bet. I would say I play less than 10 % of my hands( outside the blinds).

So how should I play these spread games ? Any comments suggestions would be greatly appreciated from a poker apprentice !!

PS- I think I will change my signature below, as I no longer sit at a BJ table for hour after hour . But do play a few hands now and then, realizing I cannot win, so bet the min. and lose less !! Even when I do win,it's just a loan w/ interest !
" If I had the money and the drinking capacity, I'd probably live at a blackjak table and let my life go to hell." Don Pedro
slyther
slyther
  • Threads: 13
March 29th, 2013 at 11:27:50 AM permalink
If putting $80 in the middle on a single hand isn't your brand of vodka (sounds like it from your post) then you probably shouldn't sit a spread limit or no limit game. Of course it's possible to do that in a limit game as well but it's probably going to happen less often.
You have to be at a level where the amount you will be needing to bet won't bother you, otherwise you are playing with scared money and that will cause you to alter your decisions.

If you do sit in the spread game, treat it like a No-Limit game. Until you get your feet under you a bit, hit it hard with your good hands, don't mess around trying to coax calls. Since it's a low spread game some players will still be eager to chase their draws since you can't price them out as easily.
rdw4potus
rdw4potus
  • Threads: 80
March 29th, 2013 at 11:54:42 AM permalink
I don't play much anymore, but 2-20 was my favorite game by far when I played. Absolutely play it like a no-limit game, and watch for the folks who play it like a 2/4 limit game and stay in too long with junk. If you can get those guys to call your 20 bet like they'd call your 4 bet in 2/4, you'll rake in the dough.
"So as the clock ticked and the day passed, opportunity met preparation, and luck happened." - Maurice Clarett
  • Jump to: