Dween
Dween
  • Threads: 66
February 1st, 2012 at 3:04:37 PM permalink
Last year, I created the Magic 12 game for a children's carnival. (If you follow the link, use the Space Bar to start/finish the games). 20 different mini-games are included that pick a number from 1 to 12 in entertaining ways.

I was planning on doing it again, but we are not allowed to have a game of chance at the event - charitable gaming laws prohibit it without it being a licensed event... plus the computer is not an approved element of chance.

However, if I can change Magic 12 into a game of skill somehow, we would not need a gaming license to play.

How do I change Magic 12, a game of chance, into a game of skill?

Thoughts:

If I somehow "give the answer" away before each game, and then play the "random" mini-game, would that work? For example, the ticket-redemption version of Deal or No Deal shows what is in every case, then shuffles them up.

If this method worked, would I have to sell "picks" before the answer is shown? Or could they be sold after the answer is given? (Originally, numbers were available at 2 for 25¢).
-Dween!
Dween
Dween
  • Threads: 66
February 3rd, 2012 at 4:49:15 PM permalink
I'll give this thread a bump in the hopes someone can give me an idea or two.
-Dween!
charliepatrick
charliepatrick
  • Threads: 39
February 3rd, 2012 at 7:18:43 PM permalink
(1) It doesn't do anything under Firefox (and in-fact messed up the cursor when replying to this).
(2) Under Chrome it seems very loud and merely picks a number 1 to 12 (as advertised).

In the UK there were strict rules about raising money for charity or competitions where a premium rate phone call was needed. At a fete, or similar, one way seems to be to guesstimate the number of sweets in a jar, the weight of a cake etc. where some judgement can be made. A fun idea might be the number of tennis balls in a car. Another idea, except people could look it up, is guess a number/distance - how many people live in Alaska.

The other way is using some skill such a bowling through hoops (it's sometimes called "bowling for a pig" as you win a pig). Another strange way is bingo - for some reason it's a game of skill in the UK - unlike the US, if you miss your number you don't win.
  • Jump to: